ARM Based MeeGo Nokia Tablet, Z500 is out to the world?

| June 21, 2010 | 23 Replies

From 2006 the Nokia 770 -4" WVGA resolution, crazy, that'll never take off.

Reports are now spreading that Nokia are “following” Apple and making a tablet.

These trace back to a Digitimes research analyst who says

“Talking with upstream component makers, the analyst pointed out that Nokia has already completed about 100 engineering samples ready for testing. The tablet PC’s panel size will be either 7- or 9-inch and manufactured by Foxconn International Holdings (FIH), the Hong Kong-listed handset subsidiary of Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), the analyst noted.”

And Eldar (who says he isn’t a Nokia hater but always slates Nokia at every moment possible – sometimes it’s warranted, most times it’s just unecessary, e.g. below) confirms the existance of a Nokia tablet.

Also remember that when Eldar bashed the N8′s camera, his “acquired proto” N8 was very different. Amongst other things, MR’s N8 didn’t even have the proper camera of the current (and soon retail) Nokia N8.

Unless Z500 is the name of the tablet, is Eldar referring to the aged Intel Atom Z500? But It’s already supposedly going to be ARM based. Unless there’s another Z500 non MeeGo Nokia tablet or it is on Sseries (S500?)

Stefan from intomobile mocks the idea of a Nokia tablet as their netbook Booklet 3G didn’t really fly that well with consumers. The latter was much too expensive for that category of product but with too little RAM (1GB instead of 2). Such a shame as it was Apple grade in terms of build – and that’s according to several macbook pro owners. That said, Stefan admits he isn’t a fan of the iPad either.

For the masses, a Nokia MeeGo tablet could really fly if priced adequately with competitive features. (As for MeeGo tablets in general, we’ll be seeing plenty from other manufacturers too, pushing Intel hardware. There’s already at least 4 showcased.). A tablet form factor is a great way to consume online media and be immersed in digital entertainment.

As for the ecosystem, developing for MeeGo is made easy and attractive with Qt. Not only does it mean cross platform across MeeGo phones, tablets, netbooks and other devices but other operating systems too, not just Symbian but potentially Android, Window and Mac as long as Qt is used. There’s massive support behind MeeGo, not just Nokia and Intel, but other big industry players too  (Acer, Asus, Cisco, BMW, Gameloft etc)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Linux, MeeGo, Nokia

1. Jim says:

this are great news. If they are gone lunch on Q4 meego phone and tablet will be too good to be true.

@Jay:
    “not just Symbian but potentially Android, Window and Mac as long as Qt is used. ”

Qt is being ported to android and iOS by the community. As I seen on android major steps has been made, but it might take at least 8 month 1 year until will become more public and easy to use for light developers. there is also an webOS porting of qt .:)
    I think qt is the future for all the developers, because it minimize the cost for you app and can help you deploy it to more devices. As a developer I see a lot of people and software companies moving to qt.

best wishes

• Jay Montano says:

Sounds great. Hopefully it should help level the playing field when it comes to App Ecosystem as more apps will be available for many more different platforms.

Bad news in terms of my wallet. haha.

2. Andre says:

I’ve lost any faith that I’ve had in Eldar giving unbiased opinions on anything related to a Nokia product. He praised Bada and Samsung to high heaven when noone else has seen bada as anything more than a glorified feature phone. As with any news I hear from him, the raw information is going to be correct but his opinions worthless :-P

• Jay Montano says:

I used to enjoy Eldar’s reviews when they were much more impartial, but of late, they’re seeming extremely negative to Nokia.

There was a blogpost published by him mentioning things like “betting how much Nokia’s stock will fall after his N9 preview”. Unless Google translate mixed up, it sounds like he just wants Nokia to fail.

Also even raw information is sometimes incorrect, such as info on the hardware of N8 camera (and I think there were other hardware changes with his proto). I hope a similar situation occurs where

1) there’s much room to grow in improving the software
      2) he’s yet again received an extremely early or red herring proto.

• Jim says:

so what?? a guy is posting a bad review about a phone and everyone believes him? Nobody knows how the tablet will look like on final stage. if it;s a good product I will buy it. you can also go to many shops where the tablets, phones, computers etc are exposed and you can play with them so you can how it works.
        I think my own review it’s more important to me than everyone else review on their blogs , youtube, etc

• Jay Montano says:

Many take him for his word. His N8 thrashing (which circulated via the big blogs, e.g. engadget) pretty much pushed Nokia to announce their N8 early.

It really influenced a lot of the impressions on N8 until users were allowed to speak out and say it’s not as bad as he makes it out to be.

Of course as an end user, the most important opinion of a device is your own. But Eldar is somewhat trusted and his words good or bad will be used verbatim pretty much by the community.

The best thing Nokia can do is just continue (start, haha jk) to put out good products and prove Eldar wrong.

• Andre says:

Exactly !
            Him bashing the N8 dropped my expectations of that device by an order of magnitude. Only after keeping up with the news being released and a few forums dedicated to the device that I actually began to grow in confidence. I’m still not where I was when the device was initially leaked and thats because of his statements as a formerly respected reviewer of cutting edge technology.
            So far Meego shows promise and the UI guidelines as well as this video serve to further highlight this.
            The Ipad’s hardware was crap and for the most part the software isn’t really there but it’s still a successful product no?
            No clue why Eldar is so negative/dismissive of the device having only used an engineering prototype

3. khalidou says:

about the s series i was told by a nokia rep that it would be dedicated to phones that are Special like the 8800 and its likes, not for MeeGo devices.

4. John Wiegand-forson says:

mmmhhhh correct me if I ma wrong but Nokia have been making tablet’s for a while ?!?!?! N900, N810 ?!?!? Anyway I was huge believer when Bill Gates pushed the ideas way back when, but of course windows is a joke on a tablet so my hopes were trashed. When rumours of iPad first surfaced I was like mmmmhhh really excited but then when Steve jobs unveiled it I was lIke REALLLYYYY ?!?!? to be honest I still don’t see any benefits in a tablet but if Nokia made one with the Meego interface i would defiantly try one.

5. Chris says:

John Wiegand-forson :

Haha Cool story, bro’! :D

But if Nokia releases the MeeGo N9 and this tablet at the same time, odds are they’re gonna market them as something that go well together. Kind of like they tried with the Booklet 3G and the N97 Mini. I think I might have to get both.

But in essence if they are decent products, you can argue that they’ve “caught up” with Apple as wasn’t the iPad supposed to be “smarter than a smartphone, dumber than a laptop”? And we know how that bummed all to hell. Nokia would have a chance there!

6. Inokia says:

I wonder how the guy got the prototype before nokia announced it, n900 and n8 then what else

• Lnx says:

Inokia :

Nokia manufactures hundreds, sometimes thousands, prototypes of each phone they bring to the market. Often a batch of early prototypes is available one year or even earlier, before the launch date.

So, somewhere there is a disgruntled Nokia employee or somebody else having a momentarily access to Nokia protos. He/she steals them and maybe earns money by selling them to Eldar. Mr. Murtazin surely knows he is dealing with stolen goods. With some thinking and ingenuity Nokia could narrow down the alternatives to one place, and later to one individual.

7. Andrew says:

for me these devices only make sense as an adjunct to your smartphone device. I am looking at this interms of a Nokia N8-E7 and Meego tablet or a Blackberry 9800 Torch and blackpad circa December 2010/Jan 2011