Collating the Nokia N9 (AND x7) rumours thus far. A lot is just hear-say. Some things are mentioned by quite reliable sources (people who are somehow close to these unannounced handsets) and some are garnered from blog comments. Wishful thinking? Idle Gossip? Snippets of leaks? Well they’re all fun to consider. That’s all we ever do and always will do when it comes to unannounced handsets. Especially one as IMPORTANT as Nokia’s first MeeGo phone and recovering of the high end.
update: The comment section of this post is also producing some interesting “info”. Will be added at end of post.
1) First, it’s being announced in this year’s MWC (February 14-17th).
More exchanges between JosueGiminez and Camb078. If true, Nokia also said they’d reduce the wait from announce to release. “Release very close to announcement”. e.g. C6-01, C7. But then the December, now 2011 launch of E7….hmmm.
Other rumour this week mentioned dates of April 2011, plus 6 weeks later for another MeeGo Device.
2 On the N9 design: N9 is the sexiest mobile ever done? Also, quality said to be so good, it could be Sseries. Sseries?If we remember Nokia House portfolio, S was supposed to be the mega top devices, beyond Nseries.
Well subjectiveness aside, it suggests a slim, pleasing design for N9.
What if it looks like Nokia Conversations “Nokia U” design (above first pic)? If it does and it’s MeeGo let me say, “Hey Nokia, here’s the money, can I have one please?!”
“I just hope they will get Meego done sooooon and I can get this sexy thing on use.
I can say this is sexiest mobile ever done. It’s bye bye for HW qwerty and welcome candybar back in my life”
And also in reply about N9 deseign
“.. design would easily qualify as future S-series TS device. Specially in black.”
BTW, the macbook like QWERTY keyboard design is apparently NOT what it will look like. Alex68 has mentioned this in comments here as well as MeeGoUser (ha are they the same person:p?). More from dsmobile
Best thing about it is the way user will setup all accounts and stuff.
but it is really bugging me that things move so slowly still and hardware is getting older after every delay. Well at least this one model is something I really love too much that I do not care what the hardware are inside.
if people think that this new SE (Arc) looks nice.. well they are wrong if compare this what I have
dsmobile – mobile-review forums
Also, like Maemo N900
“Meego phones do not have Home HW key”
dsmobile – mobile-review forums
3. Along with N9, X7 and E6-00 will also be announced.
The X7 has been spotted already, though what the E6-00 will look like is a total mystery.
4. When new firmware arrived, all upgraded Symbian devices will bump up to 727MHz from 680MHz.
- According to Cod3rror’s comment.
Note, Symbian^3 is GPU accelerated and does not require oodles of power (as nice as it would be to have the excess). Let’s hope battery life remains same or improves.
5. This is supposedly the Nokia X7 specification:
This was from GSM arena comments found by Cod3rror on Mobile-Review forums. Interesting specs in bold. Take with 10x your daily recommended allowance of salt.
- A whooping 512 mb graphics card just like ur pc have
- has 4 speakers(first mobile to have 4 speaker with woofer sound)
- gorilla glass scratch resistant capactive multitouch amoled cbd screen 680*340
- water resistant metal casing stainless steel with thermoplastic body
- 350mb ram
- flash 10.1
- gyro sensor
- magnetic compass
- 700mhz arm 11 processor
- hdmi port
- usb otg
- 8mp camera with 720@30fps hd video recording
- play all types of audio files(like mp3,aac,aac+,wma 9 and 10,ogg,exe,wav,amr,cbd,avc,msf etc)
- and video files((like avi,mp4,mpeg4,asf,3gp,3gpp2,3gpp +,h.263,h.264,flv,mkv(dvd format),mov(handycam,digital camera video use this),m1v,m4v,mkv etc))two microphone, active noise cancellation
- 2mp secondary camera
- dolby digital 5.1 channel
- 1 gb rom for massive s^4 update
- massive 32gb internal memory
- 6 homescreens
- usb charging
- wi-fi with b/g/n and upnp technology
- remote locking
- fm transmitter
- bluetooth v 3.0
- hspda 14 mbps and hspa 5.76 mbps
- 1500mah battery
- nfc chip
- act as broadband modem, wi fi hotspot
- universal remote controller
- and finally with 50+updated s^3 os.
7. Whilst we’re here let’s reiterate the N9 rumoured specifications
- 12MP AUTOFOCUS CAMERA,
- 4.3 inch AMOLED CBD screen 960 x 480 pixels resolution Capable of displaying upto 10^6 pixels per sec with 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8250 processor
- MeeGo Operating System,
- 1GB RAM,
- 1.5 GB ROM,
- 512MB GRAPHIC CARD
- 64 GB internal memory,
- 64GB expandable memory ,
- A-GPS ,
- HSPA+8mbps and hspda 16.6 mbps,
- full HD (1080p) video recording Bluetooth v3.1
- usb otg,
- hdmi port,dolby digital,Woofer sound technology
- 1080p HDMI (says MeeGoUser)
These are the product codes for Nokia devices before given their actual “post code” name. Note that Random product names do appear now and again that we’ve never heard of but never see the light of day.
- RM-478 >> Nokia 5330?
- RM-572 >> Nokia 3208 classic
- RM-680 >> Nokia N9
Overall, some pretty positive things. Though following Eldar’s tweets, you’d get the feeling that Nokia’s just gone bankrupt.
Let’s hope for no delays, that Symbian updates will be sufficient and MeeGo will be ready. Really, a slim, updated Nokia N900 would have done, Nokia :p.
Seriously – get more folk working on the darned thing or whatever to get it perfect BUT on time. The longer it’s delayed, the older the hardware gets, the stronger the competition gets, the higher the expectations.
9. Comment from Zymo: What ever “meego phone” released comes with Harmattan first, MeeGo Update later. in Q3/4.
There is also Harmattan-Meego from Nokia. They are still working on it, you can see this from several bug reports. I think Nokia wants to make Harmattan 100% compatible to Meego, so they could release the N9, which was actually ready for release in Q4 2010, now at MWC 2011 and upgrade it in summer with Meego 1.2 or Q4 2011 with 1.3. If there is a N9 at MWC 2011 it will be running with Harmattan-Meego, if not than we have to wait till Q3/Q4 2011 for the N9.