Video: Kasvopus Qt Facebook App for Symbian^3/Maemo 5 demoed on Nokia N900

| March 7, 2011 | 13 Replies

Yesterday we saw Kasvopus, a new project from Tommi Laukkanen that brings a very promising facebook client to Nokia Devices. The only one so far comes by way of the frighteningly bad Social App produced by NOKIA. There’s quite some potential with Kasvopus, hopefully it will receive more updates and more features, but for now it’s looking good, and pretty smooth.

Jumojn said:

This app is really fast simpel and easy to use !. Omg i hope this dude will make more apps in the future!

I’m sure Tommi will make more Qt apps. He’s becoming synonymous with classy, functional Qt Apps (TwimGo, NewsFlow, DoodleDrive<<built in a day)

You might have installation problems.  You’ll need to have Qt 4.7.2 installed on the N8.  http://twitter.com/#!/N8ws/status/42687648271319041

Jeep-e2 said:

…it works and it looks so much better than the original nokia social app!

After some more use, he has some constructive criticism for Tommi – which agrees that it’s good, has potential, but just needs more work:

Ok first impression, i can’t open message. no notification. no search, no add friend. i can post on someone status but cannot post on someone’s wall because i cannot go to his personal page. But it looks good and it’s very fluid, i hope there’s gonna be some update for this app, Tommy is on the good way

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: Applications, Maemo, Nokia, Nseries, Symbian, Video

1. sajin says:

thanks a lot. been searching the qt 4.07.2 file for long….

2. Ali Abdulla says:

just need to add notifications/inbox and its perfect :)(or almost)

anyways have much more potential than the social app

great job

3. Syed says:

Why doesn’t nokia hire him? he could push out updates single handedly really fast! and he’s good!
    He can transform symbian.

4. as213 says:

How can I install Qt 4.7.2? I had installed Bubles and uninstalled it after the method of Betalabs. Now i can’t install Bubles or Qt 4.7.2 again. every times my n8 says couldnt delete a file.

• JLy says:

I have the same problem! Uninstalled bubbles and did the betalabs qt-downgrade. Now can’t install Qt 4.7.2, starts to install but aborts with the message can’t delete a file (in finnish “tiedostoa ei voi poistaa”)? Which file and why?

Cannot install QtMobility 1.1.1 either, since it requires atleast version 4.7.0 of Qt.

I wan’t to try DoodleDrive as well, but I can’t :P

Anyone got step-by-step instructions to overcome this issue?

• JLy says:

Aah, got it working now!

I first installed the webkit and after that switched N8 off/on. After that Qt 4.7.2 installed ok and so did mobility 1.1.1!

I really want a restart phone option instead of just shut down :P

5. mapantz says:

Yeah – this is a smooth running app.
    It did need 3 files tow rok properly on my Nokia N8 – Qt 4.7.2, webkit and mobility. As is mentioned, it’d be great if you could still have the same features as the poor facebook apps, ie; going to people’s profiles (as well as your own) notifications of messages and private messages, and of course adding/removing of friends. I’m sure this will be added in time, but i back it all the way. Great work.

6. mapantz says:

to work*

7. SGean says:

Is facebook places working?

8. Bobby Harmon says:

Facebook apps are becoming a dime a dozen… Hey all. My name is Bobby Harmon from Florida =) Just wanted to say Hi. (Im not a robot). I will post here more often in the future.