No N9 for UK, USA, Germany? Nokia N9 availability down to the operators

| August 12, 2011 | 96 Replies

As you may have heard already, there will be no Nokia N9 going to operators for USA, UK and Germany, the lack of such regional availability was already suspected before (though you may still be able to get them via local online retailers).

jedibeeftrix emailed Stephen Elop about the recent news regarding the Nokia N9′s availability. There were a couple of replies (from Elop or PR team? I’m amazed he could reply to such emails from the public)  the last of which said,

“Ultimately, the operator makes all decisions about which products they make available.”

But before you despair, the N9 will still be available officially in 29 countries, not including the online retailers.

Availability List:

• UK (via Expansys/Play)
  • Kazakstan
  • Germany (Amazon.de)

Category: Maemo, MeeGo, Nokia

1. Rock says:

Seriously though WTF.

They obviously just don’t want to sell in US or UK because it will jeopardise Nokia WP7 sales. I mean even Android fanboys I know give a shit about the N9 nobody cares about WP7..

• Sun Down says:

Since the UK and the US are the ‘richer’ parts of the world, why don’t they just pre-order it online?

• John says:

Well yes, we’ve already done that of course, but most consumers in the UK don’t pay for handsets, they come via our carriers….

2. rich says:

so what we need to do is to spread the word to everyone and tell them to contact their network and ask when the n9 will be available. if the networks get more requests for this handset than any other, are they going to ignore the demand?

• Viipottaja says:

if they get more request for this than anything else (and don’t buy the phone offered to them instead),then: yes, very likely. so do get a grassroots movement going! :)

• Cocco Bill says:

Yes they are or rather Flop is. Flop won’t do anything that could threaten Microsoft. As long as Flop is the CEO in Nokia, there’s no hope for N9 and MeeGo.

• Calvin H says:

I’m working on it renegade. On my own personal campaign to destroy Nokia’s WP7 phone and sell the Nokia N9. The thought of seing Microsft/WP7/Ballmer/Elop all shamed at once is just too much to pass up.

3. Viipottaja says:

Jay, in the spirit of accuracy: Nokia has in their latest official statements said that (IIRC the exact wording correctly, please double check) there are _no current plans_ for launching the N9 in UK, Germany and the US.

4. Sun Down says:

Man, this wait is killing me. I feel like ripping that ‘coming soon’ sign for the N9 on our retailer.

5. Cod3rror says:

People who made a decision to switch to WP7 are very afraid of the N9, very, very afraid.

• Hariainm says:

i bet this is the first +1 you have in this blog.

• gordonH says:

+1 again for you.
      I don’t understand the Nok-MS deal contract.
      If you compare it to a marriage. The husband allowed to sleep with everyone but the sexy wife only with the husband. Things shouldn’t work out unless the wife comes from a poor family and gets lots of money.
      In the Nok-MS deal, Microsoft gets to go with Sammy, HTC etc. but Nokia kills everything and decides to go all in for MS. And Nokia is(was) already rich and powerful enough with cash from MS.

• Deep space Bar says:

yess they are Qt= Meego/symbianOS and Meego Netbook

why do you think they already showed of windows8 which is hilarious since it has the same plan intel and nokia had with Meego???/….hhhhhhmmmmmm

• md says:

i don’t believe they are afraid. I think they want the n9 to be successful but only as a second option for future projects (as said) or if wp is not going to sell well. Why are they offering free n 950 to developers? if they really want to kill meego why trying to create apps for it? Why launching n9 websites and ad campaings when you have such bad income this year?

6. VkThor says:

What about Spain?? :(

7. Beytullah kuşcu says:

Dont care the list,Turkey is looking not avaible,but Nokia Turkey will make n9 lansman at 15 august..

8. Lokito15 says:

I am in the U.S. and I doubt either AT&T or T-Mobile(Who is merging with AT&T care about what the customer wants, which is a shame because Merging looks like an amazing operating system and Android(which I use now) is to unstable for my liking.

9. gen says:

Vodafone for Australia

• Michael Faro-Tusino says:

Woo! Finally something good to come out of Voda-Au :p hahah. Hope it gets released on the 45 infinite. I really want it asap. Go talk to your local dealer like i have. Make some connections and maybe before it’s released, they can get the 64GB version (only for employees) at half price. That’s what I’m doing.

10. CieQuich says:

I’ve been asking on many shops on the street and on line about the N9 (I’m in the UK, and those guys never heard about N9, isn’t weird that the so called mobile “professionals” do not know anything about Nokia N9, nor even heard about such a model. Do they have internet at home or just use it for social network?
    Anyway, my guest is that if there is a UK network it would be Three, so far they are the only company selling the X7.
    Hopefully we will have news by the end of the month.

• James says:

That’s becasue the advertising has been zilch.
      Plenty of online press coverage/blogs etc.
      But you need much more than that, to generate awareness.

11. scapegoat81 says:

This makes me want this phone more, and more, and more

• Calvin H says:

yeah really. The phone my cost 500EUR but it comes with a free kick to Elop’s nuts, that’s a deal if I’ve ever seen one! I might just buy 2!

• N00-00 says:

I’ll buy this phone for double the price if I get to kick the Trojan’s nuts…

• dr_zorg says:

Amen to that. Whatever happens to Nokia, even 1k is a good investment with that in mind. I hope this gigolo registers the worldwide hate against him.

12. Cocco Bill says:

Flop is in Nokia to make sure that MeeGo won’t become a threat to Microsoft. That is obvious now. He’s not trying to make money for Nokia at all. The alternative explanation would be that he is totally insane or retarded and unable to think rationally. That I find hard to believe from someone that has managed to become a CEO of a world’s biggest mobile phone company. So the first option it is. Flop is working for Microsoft and killing MeeGo. He already killed Symbian. Microsoft wants its Windows monopoly extended to mobile world. It’s as simple as that.

13. i love apple says:

no n9 in us, does it mean no support from many great talented US software developers?

anyway, just the Swipe and the multitasking on N9 itself can be shown off to our iphone and android friends and make them feel that thier ui is old!

many US ;UK Germany people will envy the n9 phone users and may put pressure on their operators!

• Viipottaja says:

There won’t be enough N9 users in the US to put any pressure on operators. In the UK maybe.. those hotheads might just storm the cell phone stores.. haha. :)

14. dcastrog says:

I have been investigating and Mexico might be a country where we will see the N9. If you search Nokia N9 at the Nokia MX site you will get a result. Still not officially confirmed though.

15. hamaka says:

where is Egypt

16. Soroush says:

how about canada?

• Deep space Bar says:

i would i’m from canada as well but knowing rogers even though they suck they wont sell in canada cause elop is and wants to force feed Wp7

• Nabeel says:

Rogers is the only one who offered N8, i hope they will carry N9 aswell. But they are really slow to respond to anything. So even if they do get it, it will be by december, and i cant wait that long. I saw someone taking orders for N9 on ebay, hes from washington and a power seller, has N9 for 845 and 64 GB version for985. He says ship date between sept. 23 and 29. will wait when he has them in his hands and will order through ebay.

• Viipottaja says:

Elop has said its up to the carriers to decide. So start a campaign to get it to Rogers! In Canada you might actually get people rallying for it!

17. Abdullah Usman says:

Why and how did Nokia choose to leave out India? :| :(

• JD! says:

Purposefully. If N9 is launched in India (the biggest market for Nokia)… then where will WP7 phones be sold?

India will only make N9 phones for all other countries :-(

damn CEO and his policies

• j says:

well it’s time to buy operator free phones. Times are changing.

18. Calvin H says:

Bullsh*t! This is the biggest load I’ve ever heard. We can’t even sqeeze a release date out of Nokia and almost all our information has been coming from the devs, nothing official. Elop doesn’t want to talk about the N9 except to tell everyone that they shouldn’t buy it! Elop is a dick.

19. i love apple says:

the nokia ceo has got a bad name

20. N00-00 says:

The Trojan strikes again… Killed off Symbian without having the replacement.. Reserved Meego for “future disruptions”… Now, not releasing N9 everywhere in spite of the praise it received and when I was thinking than N9 would be categorized under “future disruptions”.. Whats next???? Nokia Maps to be included free in MS WP?? Or what about Nokia’s operator billing system part of Marketplace experience for free?? Is he only on Nokia’s payroll or also on MS’s??

The way he has been disappointing people, I don’t think many will buy Nokia WP devices and may have already moved on.. Bad decisions one after another..

21. variaatio says:

Just to add to list. obvious and mentioned in earlier blog post, with the competition.
    Saunlahti in finland is pushing N9
    checked other guys in finland also.
    Sonera has N9 incoming soon page
    DNA also has big N9 iocoming soon on their homepage

Would be hilarious if it was not so sad. Outside Finland people are cursing because the phone may not be available at all. In Finland all of the three big carriers are very heavily promoting it.

Apparently Nokia Finland has not heard, that the phone is going to total flop and not supported by nokia. ;) Probably Elop thinks Finland is too small market to care what Nokia does in Finland.

• Viipottaja says:

Nokia has said they will support the N9, and in fact that they will support it for a long time to come.

Another contradiction in Elop’s actions, eh?

22. scelero says:

well those countries can be added later. its not untill now the US is getting the sggsII.

23. sumeet says:

plz someone tell me will it be avilable in india or not?
    if not can it be getable online?…plz plz…reply

24. Peter L says:

I would take the sentence “Right now, many of the larger operators are showing a strong preference towards WP.” with a pinch of salt. That doesn’t mean that the carriers observed both platforms and decided that WP7 is better for the consumers and will sell more.

I can imagine the sales pitches for both WP7 and N9 from a Nokia representative:

WP7 sales pitch key phrases:

Full focus, full line of devices, massive marketing push, customer satisfaction rate

N9 sales pitch key phrases:

Experimental, only device, niche product

Carriers have not been given a true choice in the matter, of course they will choose the WP7.

The answer from Elop is just weasel talk to make people believe that it’s the carriers fault that they will not be getting a N9 through carrier deal.

• N00-00 says:

They don’t have to give any sales pitch phrases. Just tell the operators: No subsidy for N9 but lots for WP and they’ll automatically go the WP..

But that is fine for me.. I just buy my phone at full cost.. No contract shit..