There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the upcoming (hopefully soon- seeing how it’s been released to RTM) WP 7.8 update for the first Generation of Lumias, so this is just a quick post clarifying some things.
Who Will Get it?
Everyone! All Wp 7.0/7.5 device will be update to 7.8; for Nokia this means the Lumia 510, 610, 710, 800 and 900 and any other low end 7.5 devices that might come in the future.
When Will we Get it?
No body really knows for sure, the latest rumors are that WP7.8 has been finished by MSFT and has been delivered to OEM’s for Final tweakings and changes; the most likely release date according to multiple rumors is Late December-Early January.
This part is a little tricky so let’s split it into what’s confirmed and what’s rumored.
- New Start screen, to match WP8.
- Ringtone maker app
- Contact Share via Bluetooth- Lumia exclusive
- Media transfer Via Bluetooth- Lumia exclusive. (details are unconfirmed, possibly receive/Send only)
- Cinemagraph and Smartshoot - Lumia exclusives
- Rooms Feature
- Xbox Music
- Calendar Sharing?
*Note the last 3 are Semi-confirmed having been posted by Microsoft Italy on Facebook, but you can’t always depend on what regional Facebok pages say.
- Lenses Feature
- Increased number of system/theme colors (20 total)
- Customizable Lock screen (Choose which apps notify you on lock screen) OR Live lock-screen wallpapers.
- IE9 (not IE10 like WP8) with enhanced features
- WiFi fix to stay on when screen is locked. (tweeted by Joe Belifore a couple of days ago)
Will This be The Last WP 7.X Update?
Probably not, a recently leaked internal Nokia slide promises continued updates past WP 7.8, with 18 months of additional support.
All in All WP 7.8 is shaping up to be a pretty decent update; and I’m sure there are a couple more features we haven’t heard/seen yet (hopefully some gallery fixes are included). As far as being “left behind” for early adopters it doesn’t seem like that’s going to be an issue, seeing how most of the SOFTWARE features of WP8 should be coming to WP 7.8.
Now let us have it please.
About the Author (Author Profile)Heyyo, names Ali- Currently a fourth year Dental Student from Chicago; studying in Jordan. I love all sorts of gadgets almost as much as I love my cookies! (Have: Green Nokia N8, Cyan Lumia 800, Black N9, Stormtrooper White Lumia 900, Black 808 PureView, Red Lumia 920). Follow my twitter handle '@AliQudsi' - no pressure. Thanks.
Sites That Link to this Post
- [图]Windows Phone 7.8的期待_Windows Phone – 593先生 | November 21, 2012
- [图]Windows Phone 7.8的期待 | 帮你资源 | November 21, 2012
- 我们期待的Windows Phone 7.8 | WGTui.COM | November 21, 2012
- Windows Phone 7.8 Seite 48 - Windows Phone 7 Allgemein - Windows Phone Forum | November 22, 2012
- Video: WP 7.8 Shows Up on Lumia 510 : My Nokia Blog | November 24, 2012