Video: Jolla Answers Your Sailfish Questions

| November 29, 2012 | 36 Replies

Quick heads up: Jolla’s Marc Dillon Answers questions on Sailfish

by

Cheers Pica pica for the tip!

Category: Nokia

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Video: Marc Dillon odgovara na pitanja o Sailfish os-u | NokiaMob | November 29, 2012
  1. MeeDroid says:

Sailfish is better than Windows Phone!

• Noki says:

A work in progress, its clear the UI is limited to not do the things “Swipe” UI does, you can “push” any app… etc.
      But its not all that bad and I surly will get the device once it gets out. I repeat I add very low hopes for this UI/UX and am positively surprised its not terrible and does introduce some nifty ideas.

• shallow ocean shoal says:

It never fcking ends. It’s a bipolar disorder.

2. Bob1 says:

Well that was pretty disappointing, I was expecting more questions. I suggest MNB should gather questions (like make an article asking the community to post questions) and then you guys do a Q&A with Jolla if they are up to it.

3. timple says:

Looks very exciting.

4. Viipottaja says:

To me the “swipe to go to home screen” animation/transparency transition looks extremely confusing/bad, at least in such quick videos… Hope they will tweak it.

• marco says:

You are right,transparency is like 100%. On N9 it is much better, all those swipeing I find it more appealing on N9. Hope it is possible to change transparency of the apps when swiping.lol

And just 9 apps in multitasking :(

• Viipottaja says:

Perhaps the 9 app multitasking is there for optimizing performance on somewhat cheaper devices (which they probably need to gain some critical mass in China which they are targeting)?

Could also be something they are still working on.

• Pierre says:

I think Sailfish OS is something I would like to buy with Nokia mobile. As I have seen this is a different kind of experience for user. And Linux as such is very promising solution.

• Tak says:

Fortunately its way less confusing than Windows Phone, and the differentiation that the Sailfish has, actually serves some functional purpose, whereas WP is different for the sake of difference.

I also like it esthetically more than WP.

• JGrove303 says:

Interesting. I find WP8 easier to navigate than iOS, BB or android. Easier then navigating most feature phones.

Different strokes…

• Viipottaja says:

What do you find confusing in WP? Curious to understand better what you mean.

• jiipee says:

Back -button ;)

I was using L800 few weeks half a year ago and again last week. Never really knew where I would end up with using the back button. Is it logical for you?

• Viipottaja says:

I agree that the back button could perhaps be used in a better way. It was confusing at the beginning for me as well. Now I have gotten used to it. For one, its good for closing down all apps if you want to.

• migo says:

The transparency would be a great idea if you swiped to the notifications screen, or if the initial swipe were for notifications, and if you swipe all the way it goes to the multitasking view.

5. GordonH says:

Jolla UI looks good. It’s got a powerful OS (Linux), which means less man hours spent on making changes and tweaks to the Ui.

• Noki says:

powerful OS (Linux), as very little to do with “less man hours spent on making changes and tweaks to the UI” i can almost bet that the ui is almost 100% based on QML so it could have under any kernel the work would roughly be the same, but you are correct that the OS including Qt/QML does make it credibly fast to come up with different UI/UX’s, NOTE I’M a huge OSS fan.

6. Davide says:

Why are finnish businessmen so handsome? This is unnatural. U_U

7. Grendell says:

Can’t shake the feeling that this could be a Nokia back up/legacy plan. It’s got all the makings of what Nokia was trying to achieve with Symbian without the proverbial elephant in the room. How difficult would it be to stick the Harmattan UX on that?

• jiipee says:

Too bad the reality says it has nothing to do with Nokia.

Nokia kicked out most of their Linux people (one would not need them so much since Mer project would take care most of it and Nokia could sponsor a small team). And they pissed them of first laying them of, rehiring some and laying them off.

Also the Qt department is closed. Nothing has really happened with the Nokia Qt apps for Symbian and Harmattan. Also they closed the Qt developer program. Selling the Qt assets could still have fit with using Jolla since it would be important for Nokia that Jolla/Sailfish would not look like primarily Nokia solution.

It’s now all WP or nothing until cross-ecosystem solutions become popular.

8. rustyknight17 says:

Grendell , u may be right ,! Hmmm given bb10`s strong resemblance to Symbian and Meego , u don`t suppose this might explain why Nokia`s going after RIM now , do u ? Hmmmmmm …

• Viipottaja says:

No, it doesn’t. These patent dispute discussion and then litigation typically take years. BB10 was just a twinkle in their CEO’s eye when this started. :)

9. rustyknight17 says:

No , it wasn`t , the dispute is relatively recent , so Nokia`s` motives may be suspect here . But I believe it won`t take that long , Nokia and RIM will soon reach an agreement I`;m thinking

10. rustyknight17 says:

To me , one of the biggest failinigs of WP is the home sc reen . I firmly believe that a homescreen should display enough information at a glance to keep u current and WP , even WP8 , just doesn`t do this .U get some ofthe basics but u must go in the tile to get anything more . For example , take email. U know how many new emails u have , but not who they r from or what they r about . Even Android does this !

11. I like what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!

Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll.

12. Twila says:

That is very fascinating, You’re an excessively skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and sit up for looking for extra of your excellent post.
    Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

13. Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it
    to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell
    to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!