The Telegraph Asks: Can anything replace the Nokia N8

| January 3, 2013 | 69 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 06.53.13

An odd question posed by the Telegraph a week ago. A reader asked whether anything could replace their Nokia N8. The last post about the 808 reminded me that the answer is so simple. It’s the 808.

I have just come to the end of a two-year contract on my Nokia N8 phone. I was hoping to go to an iPhone but find that there is no facility for recording telephone calls or transferring text message to my PC. Both of these features are available on the Nokia. Mobile phone sales people I have spoken to were unable to offer a new phone with these facilities. So for the moment I am sticking with the N8. Is there an alternative?

Their need is a little less camera intensive, but rather reliant on Symbian’s features of being able to record phone calls (via an app) or transfer text messages to PC.

Cheers Dan and Alan for the tip!

Category: Nokia, Symbian

1. correct says:

Definitely agreed! Still using my N8, in no rush at all to replace it, even though I’ve had it over 2 years now. I was tempted by the iPhone 4S simply due to all the convenient access to high quality apps, but other than that, I decided against the iPhone for a number of reasons.

The 920 during these years was the first phone to strongly tempt me to replace my N8. Even the 920 though still lacks a few things that I would want in a phone, and to add to that Windows Phone 8 still needs some more features and more development. But I am confident within the next year we will see an “ultimate” Lumia phone that will have almost all the features most users would need. Within the next year I expect to see a high end Lumia come out that will be a real replacement for the N8.

2. dss says:

There is only one phone that can.. shame its so expensive.

3. nn says:

Nonsense, everyone knows that Symbian destroyed Nokia’s reputation and everything after N95 was crap that nobody wanted.

• Janne says:

True to a point. :) Excluing the ever-diminishing group of people who felt Symbians large number of features (or a camera), accumulated over a decade, could make up for its lack of modern smartphone experience (fluidness, browser and so on). Obviously this person quoted above was and still is a part of that group of people. No question about it, Symbian has some really useful features, some of the still unique to this day for whatever reason.

Over the holidays I spoke with one elderly relative who was very displeased with her N8 and went on a uncharacterlike diatribe on how Finnish people want to buy Nokia, but not if it is a lot worse than others. Let’s just say I made sure she is now sporting a Lumia instead of a Samsung.

• nn says:

That group was actually ever increasing, up to the point where Elop killed Symbian. And even after that the group still bigger than that of WP fans.

• Janne says:

Ah yes, the Symbian was fine in Q4/2010 myth. :)

At the VERY least the market share of that group of people was diminishing. This can not be disputed. The growing market was heading increasingly elsewhere.

However, I doubt all who bought Symbian at that time did so because they were in that group of people who felt the unique features were a match for them. Many went there because of price and reasonable feature needs, until Android could compete (because feature for feature, Android is probably the best match for Symbian). I’m not saying Symbian’s features aren’t important, I’m saying Android has enough of them too and better fluidity, so once price got there, Android started toasting Symbian’s last bread and butter.

Because emerging markets is where the growth is and they have requirements different from the western world where we read these reviews. Yes, Symbian fared better and longer in emerging markets. Now it is Android that is doing the killing there, with iPhone having a relatively hard time. Symbian was a good match for emerging market needs once better alternatives came along and at those price points the UX was not as big a deal as in the west, but now Android is the best match there, with better fluidity included and it shows (Asha touch putting up a fight). Symbian would not have lasted.

And now that Android can compete, there will they go – espcially in those emerging markets. Show Nokia have gone Android? I don’t know. I think they should have gone Maemo in 2005 full blast. But what is done is done. Being a Nokia fan, I try to steer people to Nokia products where I can. With Lumia it seems to be a lot easier than with Symbian at least.

• nn says:

Yes, Symbian was just fine in Q4/2010. Not perfect or brilliant, but it was certainly doing just fine, and was in very good shape to fill the position of lower range smartphones at Nokia.

The actual myth and history rewriting is to imply Nokia and fans thought everything is perfect and nothing needs to change. The fact is Nokia was working on change, and the irony is that remnants of that new strategy are proving to be far better than WP.

But for WP fans it’s very important to forget about the previous strategy and pretend only after Elop came there was any thinking about how to address the situation and that the resulting choice was either WP or Android.

And of course the great hypocrisy is that while marketshare was the single most important measure ever as long as old strategy was in place, it all changed when WP came around. But then what you could do when with WP the marketshare slump only accelerated. And when Q3 results came out, you even couldn’t use the nominal growth card, which you again so much derided in the case of Symbian. Now all what is left are subjective warm exciting feelings about the OS and articulating hopes that miracle happens on the current+1 quarter.

In fact it’s only now that there is total denial there are any serious problems with the OS and god forbid if anyone suggest strategy change should by in place.

• Janne says:

You are mismashing many issues to the point that at leats when discussing with me, you are in-effect misrepresenting my position.

I’m not saying Nokia’s Qt strategy necessarily was bad and I have gone on record multiple times over the past years as saying MeeGo could have worked.

Let’s just stick to where Symbian was. And it was not fine. It was a huge brand-issue for Nokia in the western word, had been since the N97. It was slowing down Nokia’s pace of innovation and hogging up gigantic swathes of the workforce. It was the reason Maemo was not pushed earlier and more.

Someone once said you were involved with MeeGo? I don’t know if that is true, but if it is I can’t believe you don’t hate Symbian and what it did to Maemo/MeeGo through the internal turfwars at Nokia. I know many, many MeeGo guys who do share my sentiments on Symbian, even if they might dislike Elop/WP.

Consider this wholly separate from the Elop/WP issue. Elop may have mismanaged the move away from Symbian (he did), but the bigger mistake at Nokia regarding Symbian vs. Maemo was made years prior. Symbian was not fine Q4/2010. Maybe Elop was the wrong choice to fix it, maybe WP was the wrong solution to fix it, we’ll see soon enough, but Symbian was not fine. It was hurting and it was hurting Nokia in the long-term for years.

But for those who claim nobody here thinks Symbian was fine in Q4/2010, nn is one example of someone who clearly does. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

• Dr.Smart says:

And therefore Elop came to save Nokia Amen!

• Janne says:

You didn’t even read what I wrote, right? :)

To quote me:

• Dr.Smart says:

Opportunistically willing to concede a little morsel here and there to score the big one, huh. Don’t kid yourself.

• Dr.Smart says:

For example “Maybe Elop was blah blah blah… maybe WP was blah blah blah”

There you have it.. Big “maybe” to give a certain impression without committing yourself. Tactically good, very snaky.

• Janne says:

Have you ever considered that I have no agenda (well, outside a Nokia fan), that I’m merely expressing uncertainty where I think it is warranted?

I *am* uncertain if Nokia can make Windows Phone work. Their first WP7 generation didn’t actually set the world on fire, you know. We shall see about WP8. If they can’t make it work, Elop definitely needs to go.

Nothinkig sneaky about it.

One of the things I hate about some of the armchair commentators and analysts is the certainty which they express themselves “nobody wants WP, Nokia will be bought by Microsoft in summer 2012, this and that”. Hence I have very, very few certains in my own thought process. Apparently some people expect me to be the same, when I’m not. I own a large host of mobile devices from Nokia and others and try to make up my own mind.

Symbian and OPK having to go is, in my view on the rare certainties I see. In addition to Nokia mismanaging February 11th and its aftermath, which I have noted in two occasions: Q1 results, Symbian transition failure, Q3 results first generation Lumia failure.

For example, MeeGo might have worked. I loved my N900 at the time and wish Nokia would have gone Maemo a long time ago. Yes, I got over it, but I do think Ollila and OPK dropped the ball on that one. They could have out-done iPhone, before the iPhone.

• Kathy Cloer says:

Maybe WP was acceptable in previous century, now there is different time IMHO.

• Janne says:

Or maybe I should understand you differently… I don’t know how you meant it. :) Elop came, indeed, to save Nokia because Symbian was not fine and Nokia was not fine on the market. OPK missed all the promises he made at Capital Markets day the previous year with Symbian^3… delays, after delays and all that.

So, I agree, thank Symbian for the arrival of Elop! :)

• Dr.Smart says:

Kidding aside, I think Elop is a good man.. a very good henchman type (executioner). Visionary strategist he is not. The biggest tragedy of Nokia is to have sought an excellent executioner, which btw was the problem of Nokia, but has gotten a bungling strategist as a bonus.

• Dr.Smart says:

So following your own advice, why don’t you append a big “maybe” to the statement that Symbian was not doing fine (like it may have been fine in 2010)

• Janne says:

I might, if I was uncertain. I am not.

Symbian, in 2010, lost almost all of its industry partners before Elop even started at Nokia. The ecosystem, if there was any, was left in tatters by that alone. Not to mention the huge marketshare glide of Symbian for Nokia alone. The increasingly negative or even hostile market-reception in the western world, eventually spilling over to emerging markets as cheap Android offered a more compelling choice… To all the horror stories (and not just stories but reality) of Symbian development’s sorry state inside Nokia, all the mismanagement and all the mistakes that lead into a convoluted and messy codebase.

I’m an optimist by nature and I see many things fixable. After having watched Nokia stuble with Symbian in 2010, I just can’t believe it no longer was. Let’s face it, most of us in the western world were looking at MeeGo to deliver us from that. And indeed, MeeGo did. And it might have worked in the long run too.

WP choice is, very much unproven. But I gave Symbian touch two years before calling it game over personally (N97 2009, N8 2010, E7 2011). I’ll give Windows Phone the same courtesy. Hence we’re looking at all the Q4/2012 results soon to see if there is positive momentum that is absolutely required.

If it looks a like a dead-end like Symbian was increasingly becoming, then bye WP and bye Elop. On the upside I can already say that I think that the product IS compelling. That is more that I could say of the Symbian^3 range.

• Janne says:

(And to clarify my post above, by two years I mean from the launch of Windows Phone, not that of Lumia. So two years is up, we know where the product stands, now we are just waiting to see if the market was receptive and the momentum there.)

• Sefriol says:

Come on Janne, nn, noki, wtfever: haven’t we heard enough of this story already? It’s starting to be at point where only two of you are debating with same arguments last a few months…

There is no progress in this “conversation”. No matter how much more “facts” you put on the table.

• Janne says:

Sefriol: You are right of course, and I came to that conclusion many months ago. But I do like it here on MNB, so from time to time I get dragged into these debates with optimism that some commong ground might be found. :) I better try harder and steer clear again.

That said, I do think me and Noki have reached some mutual understanding lately, which I appreciate. Peraps even me an dss. :)

• nn says:

When one starts to compare your separate stories about WP, Elop, Symbian, MeeGo, etc. the inevitable result is mishmash, because each story is in direct conflict with the others.

For example how can you say the old Qt strategy, of which Symbian was integral part, wasn’t bad and may have worked, and then merrily proceed to paint Symbian as the biggest villain in Nokia with the top priority being to kill it at all costs?

Maybe I don’t toss around false statements about Symbian because I can separate personal feelings from facts? How much I like Symbian and if it killed my uncle has nothing to do with its actual performance. Not to mention that Symbian didn’t kill anything, it’s just computer code, the decisions were made by management and even if you want to use it as metaphor, what actually killed MeeGo was WP (which fact in turn has nothing to do with its performance).

Again, Symbian was doing fine at that time, because the sales were increasing, record profits were flowing in and the enormous user base was there. I don’t remember anybody denying that market share decline was problem, but that was long term problem and Nokia was working on it in terms of MeeGo, Qt and Symbian 3/4. This is in contrast with WP, where we have total denial that there are serious problems or that Nokia should work on some solutions to these problems.

On the other hand what’s you evidence that Symbian wasn’t “fine”? As far as I can tell, the closest you get to actual argument supported by data is the story about declining market share. But when one points out how nonsensical it is to place such absolute importance on this one metric by comparing it with your own argumentation around WP, you start calling mishmash foul…

Beyond that it’s bunch of unsubstantiated claims like how Symbian lost its mojo in eyes of young people.

• Janne says:

Symbian was benefiting from emerging markets buying cheap smartphones. It was dead in the west and hurt Nokia’s brand real bad.

I don’t hate Symbian. It is not an emotional reaction, it is coming to grips with a painful truth after hoping for better through N97, N8, E7… It just wasn’t happening. The product was uncompetitive.

WP may fail too, but at least the product is something I can again dig…

• Noki says:

Janne you are stating personal opinions as fact…

“It is not an emotional reaction, it is coming to grips with a painful truth…” ??? read yourself here ;)

For facts you should look into sales…
                    symbian was dead, but should have been given a decent funeral with offspring, people could use, not terminated like a sick cow.

• nn says:

Here we go again, bashing Symbian for the sin of being successful on cheap smartphones (maybe somebody could think up strategy where Symbian is covering low end and something else, compatible with Symbian, the high end?), while on other threads expressing views that the ecosystem success lies in cheap segment and Nokia should aggressively push WP to low end (which it apparently can’t).

Not to mention that WP has yet to show they are as competitive as N8 or E7. And as Q3 showed it’s myth that in comparison to WP Symbian is only for low end.

• Deep Space Bar says:

I love how you demean Symbian cause Nokia isn’t using it anymore as they main OS….janne please stop talking..no more of your twisted BS

• James says:

The current myth is Android is fine.

• Jack says:

Take Australia – a country with the second-highest smartphone penetration in the world, behind only Singapore. Australia is a developed, and wealthy nation – arguably, the quickest in the world to adopt new technologies (like how we have the second highest penetration of iPhone in the world, behind only Switzerland).
          In the quarter that Nokia introduced Symbian^3 here (Q3 2010), Nokia lost its smartphone leadership to Apple. In fact, the Symbian^3 range did so terribly, Nokia’s carrier relations here still have not mended – never mind what happened February 11 2011.

Take the UK – the iPhone 4 outsold the N8 (best-selling Symbian phone) by at least 10-to-1. That’s bad, considering the UK is one of Nokia’s most successful markets, historically. Vodafone and Nokia’s close and longstanding relationship turned sour -Vodafone had made a strategic investment in the Symbian Foundation. Vodafone since found a new best friend in Samsung.

In China (where Nokia had sold/continues to sell the most Symbian based devices), Symbian sales collapsed in Q4 2010. Android-based devices were getting cheaper and cheaper (on a daily basis!), and were perfectly mouldable to China’s local requirements – especially dual-SIM.

Only China, India and Africa are keeping Symbian alive – because the cheapest Windows Phone to date (610) is far more expensive than the cheapest Symbian devices on sale today, and because language support/marketplace support was only added for many countries with Windows Phone 8.

TL;DR: Symbian was dead long before Elop – Nokia fudged the numbers with channel-stuffing.

• Ere oli aliarvostettu says:

That’s pretty much what happened.

Nokia killed Symbian because it was collapsing.

Symbian did not collapse because it was killed.

There is a huge difference.

• RVM says:

Nokia killed Symbian because it was collapsing, which was expected and the plan was to go MeeGo. Instead they went WP7, which was and still is marginable OS.

• nn says:

Sure, they were failing in almost every country. Only, somehow, they were able to increase sales globally and bring record profits. Miracle!

And the miracle didn’t stop there, they are finally winning over iPhone and Android after introducing WP8 phones in Q2/2012 in Australia and everywhere around the world, only, somehow, the sales are bit lagging.

• Cloud says:

The truth is that even right now symbian belle fp2 is the most efficient os….best multi tasking least bugs best battery keeper beautiful and simple ui best tools like file manager sms functions video player(already supports most formats)USB on the go fm transmitter tv out easy use of functions and every thing is on its place multi point screen support low price and…….
              symbian had the potential to become the best os in smartphones….now just consider the limits of WP and ios
              android is of course heavy and complicated for most users and power consumer and buggy and…..its the truth we love symbian whether we deny it or not!

• Janne says:

nn: We know… Symbian was just fine in Q4/2010. ;)

• rustyknight17 says:

Janne , why was ur relative displeased with her N8 ? I still have my N8 , running Belle FP1 , and I`m satisfied with it … and I`m a power user !
        That said , the N8 IS 2 years old and it`s looking like there will shortly be challengers . I`m planning to get the 808 if I can get up the money and proably the X 10 ( BB 10 QWERTY candybar ) when it comes out …

• rustyknight17 says:

U mean the N97 ?

4. Reonhato says:

Perhaps he’s looking for a phone that is available with his operator/network. He did say “end of his contract”. He might be looking for an upgrade with a phone that he can get a discount with. The 808 might not be available where he is at or not offered with the same upgrade deals that some operators offer. It is true that his letter did not offer such information but it is hard to believe that he did not even think of the 808.

5. Dr.Smart says:

I still say that Symbian had the potential. The legendary EKA2 plus Qt would have been the dream budget smartphone platform for Nokia.
    However, I’m obviously biased because my Symbian love started out from my love of Psion 5mx long time ago.

• dss says:

True that. I always thought that the way forward was slowing pushing Symbian down to where Asha is, and in the meantime work on a clean Linux distro with harmattan on top of it.

EKA2 rocks.. I read couple of chapters of this book last week.. a true mobile OS..

Like for example this:

I don’t remember from which chapter it was.. but I think this is part of the reason Symbian can handle so many different sound sources so well.

Every time I am in my car and I have music playing trough the FM transmitter on, sat nav running (voice going trough the loud speaker which lowers the volume of the music so I can hear it every once in a while), Bluetooth headset connected .. every time I get a phone call.. everything stops.. once it ends… everything resumes.. I think.. damn, someone did some amazing work on this.

• Carbontubby says:

EKA2 might be the best thing since sliced bread but a kernel isn’t an operating system.

It’s the layers of cruft on top that Symbian accumulated over the years that made it such a mess. Qt on top of that was like adding icing to a moldy cake.

Nokia should have done what RIM did with BB10: strip down to a basic OS implementation, add Qt as the default framework, then add platform-specific Cascades stuff a la QML. I’m a diehard Symbian fan, been loving and hating it for ages, but it was Nokia’s insistence on keeping Symbian alive and as the favored child while giving Meego leftover scraps that killed the company. Sometimes a migration strategy involves cutting off the past and starting anew.

6. David says:

I replaced by 2+ years old N8 for a Lumia 920… seriously, I do miss some of the features what we have come to get used to in Symbian^3 Belle that is not on WP8. Some of them are the simple things like the pull down menu where u can turn of Data with a click. Also miss the fact that I can’t charge my phone with it OFF!!! Annoying that the phone keeps turning back on when I try to charge it. :(

7. aslanoo says:

I am also using my N8 for almost two years now. Bought some new phones during that time attempting to replace it (Android, WP) but sold them all again and turned back to my N8 again.
    Ability to record calls without “peep”, the great camera, FM-Transmitter,anodized aluminium body (dropped it soo many times and it still look very good),2mm and usb- charging,…
    all tiny things but when they come together they don’t get me away from my N8.

If there is a phone which can replace it it’s the 808 (only missing things are the aluminum body and the 2mm charging port), but I am not in a hurry to replace it anyway, I will wait and see how the market develops in 2013.

• Kiran says:

You are right…i am in the 3rd year of my nokia N8 and i love it…there is nothing to replace the phone…i was considering buying a lumia 1020 but decided against it ….just to get a better cam does not mean you get off a brilliant phone…LOVE MY NOKIA N8

8. oakpacific says:

Cannot agree, 808 is much heavier/less slimmer,using different materials, etc.

9. Numis says:

Which app are you guys using for recording without the beep?

10. mirco says:

May I ask some of you why you desperately want to record your calls without your counterpart knowing it? I would consider this to be highly illegal in many countries of the world.

I recently replaced my N8 with a Lumia 610 and I only miss its camera and audio quality (line out). I certainly don’t miss all the quirks of Symbian…

• incognito says:

Do you inform all people you are conversing with via email, SMS, IM or other non-phone methods that you will be storing the conversation for future reference / sentimental reasons / whatever? What’s so different when it comes to phone conversations?

• Viipottaja says:

Fairly obvious: expectation & convention.

I for example may call clients (others may have e.g. secret friends.. not me of course! :P ) when I would prefer what is being discussed to not be on written record.

• mirco says:

Well, if I am sending messages (email, sms, fax, mail… whatever) I am aware that this piece of information is stored. If I call someone I do not expect it and I would not like it at all. Would you like it if somebody records your conversation? What do you do with these records? Would you also record your friends when you are out with them in a pub?

11. viipottaja says:

Wonder what exactly he means by “transferring texts to the PC”?

12. Stuart says:

One of the things I really like about Symbian is the ability for on-device answering machine and on device call recording. I haven’t found out why no other OS except Windows Mobile seems to allow on-device answering machine? My old landline phone allows it. It might not make your phone any “smarter” but it can certainly add to the usefulness. And I also don’t see why nokia didn’t make a dual-sim Symbian phone? It seems like they have no desire to make a dual-sim Windows Phone either.

13. sinple says:

symbian allowed ppl to create and save sms in folders on the phone. this is not possible on android unless i use 3rd party app.

Alarm doesnt goes off when phone is off.

Compared to iphone, it has bluetooth file transfer.

i prefer the old file system where there are folders in a folders in a folders

14. nokiaman says:

Some cunt stole my N8 had so much friggin music on there and used the play via radio function over the workshop radio. Im a motor mechanic in the mines and none of my NOKIA phones ever got damaged like my SGSIII, HTC ONEX, HTC SENSATION did anyhow have 808 pureview and LUMIA920 LOVE YOU NOKIA

15. sr.d says:

I’m still waiting whith my n8, waiting for nokia to make a move out of wp, or make wp full multitasking, landscape view, hdmi out, add all the features i need from symbian…or even better go back to a new MeeGo version (looks better than sailfish i.m.h.o.)….but i’m running out of patience, i have wait for so long…and bb 10 and android 4 are knocking at my door …

16. NokiaUserPoland says:

Nokia 808 PureView seems like good replacement for N8 see for yourself: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/808pureview/

17. Timmo says:

The 808 is a worthy successor to the N8 if you’re just looking at technical specs BUT (and it’s a big but), without continuation in the Symbian ecosystem it becomes difficult to consider. Also remember because of this lack of continuity, the 808 has not been available on any carrier (in the UK where the Telegraph article was published) so is unattainable to most people unless you have the cash to splash up front and don’t mind risking ordering from Australia or Singapore/Hong Kong. Even without Symbian continuity I’m sure a lot of people would have considered the 808 if they could get it through their network operator but I tend to agree with the original article on the basis that the 808 is sadly not in the same position as the N8 when it came out (ie. ecosystem continuation/operator availability). Of course these two main factors which prevented the 808 being a worthy successor were interlinked because if Elop had committed to Symbian continuation (alongside WP) no doubt operators would have had the confidence in supporting it as a handset.

18. bobo1704 says:

I think the best solution is to wait for Jolla phones…

19. rustyknight17 says:

Sighhhh , here we go again …
    Janne , Symbian wasn`t fine in Q4 2010 , but neither was it in dire straits , not until mid -Decenber anyway . Symbian was growing but at a slower rate than the market , hence the decline . And therewas a fix for the problem , Symbian 3 .
    Nokia admitted their mistakes and further admitted that S3 and Anna were catchup . The real objective was Belle , the equal of any other Os out there .
    The reason for the sharp decline starting in mid December was the rumours about the upcoming MS alliance and the upcoming burning platform memo . I know , I was there , looking for a new phone and the N8 was a top contender so naturally I kept up with Nokia news ! these rumours were so prevalent that they were widely regarded as true , and THAT`S what caused the sharp decline !
    So yes , Elop and the Nokia board were responsible for . And no , I don`t believe for a moment that Elop didn`t kniow what the effect would be , if he didn`t , her`s the incompetent CEO ever ! No , I rather think he deliberately ( based on a skewed assessment ) sank both Symbian and Meego as the dangerous competitors they were !
    As for Android , as Steve Litchfield of AAs observed not long ago , 70 % of all Android r crap and this is especially true at the low end ! That`s why the Ashas r doing well , regaining lost ground ! And the ideal upgrade is the 8-08 ! Or wait for BB10 …

20. Hello there. Simply just planned to querstion a simple query.
    I am putting together my personal blog site andd also would want to know in which you still have your own design?
    Seemed to be the idea no cost? Or was the idea paid?
    I am unable to apparently discover something as effective ass this, and so
    preferably you can ok, i’ll know. Appreciate it. PS, my
    personal apologies. The english language isn’t my own primary terminology.

21. Hi there. Simply just wanted to ask a fast query. I’m assembling my own
    blog site and also want to understand where you still
    have your current concept? Seemed to be the idea free?

Or maybe was it paid? I cannot often come across something as good as this one, therefore with any luck , you’ll be able to allow me to know.
    Thanks. PS, our sorry. English isn’t my own primary words.