Symbian Era Officially Over, Nokia Announces 808 Was The Last Symbian Device

| January 24, 2013 | 169 Replies

DSC01490

Along with Nokia’s quarterly earning today they also slipped in a little nugget of information; something all of us knew, but most were secretly hoping wasn’t so. In the sales report they confirmed that the 808 Pureview was and shall remain the last Symbian device from Nokia.

Perhaps a fitting end for Symbian though, the one device that pulled it together (in most places), and till now remains unchallenged in the imaging arena; perhaps making way for a Lumia brethren with the same sensor?

During our transition to Windows Phone through 2012, we continued to ship devices based on Symbian,” the company wrote. “The Nokia 808 PureView, a device which showcases our imaging capabilities and which came to market in mid-2012, was the last Symbian device from Nokia

Now that Nokia is officially in the black again perhaps in a few years once they got their ship in order they can build up a new side project for the Symbian/Meego loyal? But for now hold course I say.

Farewell Ducky.

Tags:

Category: Lumia, Nokia, Symbian

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Mathias says:

Nokia, was this your “support until 2016″. :(

2. GordonH says:

Next kill s40. Ms pushing for WinCE to replace s40, it’s confirmed news.

• Bassman says:

Confirmed where? Links please.

• GordonH says:

Ah links?
        Take it however you want, but s40 is definitely on the “kill” list.

• Pasanen oli hieno mies says:

I see.

The old Symbian religion.

“No proof but it just has to be because Elop is evil.”

• GordonH says:

Wow.. I see

The new WP religion.

“Elop is the great and a has great intentions for Nokia”

• Zipa says:

“Elop is the great and a has great intentions for Nokia”

Duh. He’s the CEO of Nokia, you don’t get to, or get to keep such a position without having great intentions and a realistic execution plan for said intentions.

You would think that this would be obvious to everyone, but the comment section over here just keeps on amazing…

• jiipee says:

There’s been no info on it whatsoerver. I doubt that it is true.

From business point of view it makes sense. There is not that much competitive edge that can be gained from S40. If the licenses are low enough, they could well quit developing it. S30 they will still need as long as they have the low price feature phones.

3. l33tuc says:

Forgive me if I’m wrong, I’m sure I am wrong (although I don’t want to be), but in the context of the quote above, it simply states that the 808 WAS the last Symbian device released by Nokia, not that it categorically IS the last ever Symbian device from Nokia. At the very least, it can certainly be misconstrued.

4. Hamad says:

Could it be because it’s no more Symbian, it’s Nokia Belle now? But I hope it can be manipulated in WP7.8 at least; in the very near future.

5. Jovrien says:

Farewell Symbian.

I could still feel the excitement I had when I first saw the Nokia 7650 ad on TV and thought to myself that that was the shape of phones to come- large phone, large colored screen, and with a camera. And I was right.

The Nokia 3660 was my first Symbian phone and I could say I already had the smartphone experience when some people were still using PDAs. Back then most people I knew can’t tell the difference between a Series 40 and a Series 60. They thought that the pricey ones were better (88xx vs. 3660) but little did they know that with my Symbian-powered 3660 I had a very reliable PIM, the calendar helped me get through my day in highschool, and I could easily switch between apps to do other stuff like writing my journal on the Notes app. I used to write (as in pen and notebook) on my diary but with the 3660 I became so lazy that I started writing my journal on my phone then send it to my PC at home via Bluetooth, print it, and paste it on my paperback diary. It was insane and I thought life couldn’t get easier. You wouldn’t believe me when I even wrote my term paper on the Notes app during my free time at school because it was so much easier with the T9 and dictionary. Type on phone, send to PC via Bluetooth, edit on PC, and my term paper was done in less than 2 weeks! My paper was about Cellular Phones and its importance blah blah, btw. I was that obsessed with phones and Nokia. Good times.

All I could say now is that Nokia has been my hero when I was growing up. And I feel lucky to grow up at a time when I was able to embrace Symbian and put it through its paces and make it earn its keep. I made the most of it and filled it with my favourite things. Ahhh memories. Now I’m typing this using my Nokia 808 PureView and can’t believe that this is the last of the Symbian that i grew up with. A Symbian Nokia phone so perfect for me that it hurts to think that it’s already goodbye. LOL seriously, it’s been a wonderful decade with Nokia and Symbian and I’ll always look back to those times that when a new feature was added on a Nokia phone, I’d get a sense of wonder and awe. Nowadays the spec sheets of the leading brands don’t excite me anymore.

Farewell, Symbian. The Nokia 808 PureView is the perfect phone to close the show.

*runs-to-the-other-room-to-get-a-beer-and-cry*

6. Deep Space Bar says:

COMMENT MODERATED: You were warned, please keep your language PG else your comment will get deleted like this one has.

7. Deep Space Bar says:

they would of sold more if it was meego and symbian but NOPE….they failed with the same sales they’ve had from a year ago…that’s not PROGRESS AT ALL

• Veigald says:

Man, what a clown that Ahonen guy is. He sure can put a smile on your face with his twisted mind and bitter resent. Does he actually believe in his own spew?

• Pasanen oli hieno mies says:

Many people here seem to consider Tomi as the best source for truth about Nokia. No wonder some people are so ignorant haha.

• GordonH says:

Many people consider Elop to be the best source of truth about Nokia. No wonder some people are so ignorant haha

ps. most Nokia fans don’t read Tomi but most Nokia fans don’t trust Elop too. Get the connection.

• Pasanen oli hieno mies says:

I see. I have insulted you Master, Tomi Ahonen? This must be really bad for someone praising Symbian and supporting the Symbian religion.

I get the connection between your Symbian religion and opinions.

• GordonH says:

Let me repeat

Most Nokia fans don’t care or read about Tomi.

• Jerome Horno says:

Perhaps, I don’t care. The point is weather Ahonens data and analyses are true?

Of course Nokia will use other parts of business to keep financial equilibrium, so will not bankrupt tomorrow, that is obvious.

In papers (form 20-F) Nokia has declared transition period of 2 years, so 24 months. From my experience transition lasts from 6-12moths, but doesn’t meter. Transition was to 1:1 or better from Symbian and MeeGo altogether to Windows (lets not talk about that there are many windows and they are incompatible in fact). So this mean now we should have Lumia sell not less then 29millions mobiles (the worst scenario), but even rather about 58millions Lumias.

Do we have such level of Lumia Windows sell or not? Has transition succeeded?

I don’t say Ahonen is 100% fair and accurate, but it might be worth Nokia would consider if Ahonen has something to say, if he has provided several forecasts which are closer to real world then others did.

Whatever, Ahonen is not my mobiles supplier, but Nokia. And I would like to have possibility to buy a Nokia mobile which meets my needs, I don’t care to much what marketing services want me to hardsale as superduper marketing mix. I pay with my money, when a product is worth to pay for it – and I will stay with this routine.

• Zipa says:

“Many people consider Elop to be the best source of truth about Nokia.”

Of course he is. He has access to everything that happens within Nokia, and as a CEO he is obliged by law to be truthful in all his communications.

Again, how is this not obvious to you? Do you not know anything about how business is conducted?

• jiipee says:

I agree that he has been truthfull, just twisting and hiding the facts.

If Nokia was a smaller player, the financial authorities would have warned them of their reporting. The last report for example contains some interesting accounting decisions: RIM payments are allocated in full to NA, when the actual R&D is on corporate level; the sales of HQ is allocated fully to mobile devices, when there is a lot of corporate personnel working there; the MS deal cash flows are slowly being opened, when they should have made in the first place ie they will be net payer in the future. There are similar deliberate gaming of facts before.

8. E39A says:

Now that Symbian is officially dead is the support going to get pushed back? I love my 808,701 and N8. I still haven’t gotten a new wp8 device since the 710 left a bad impression on me. Don’t get me wrong, I still have love for Nokia and NOK stock. But once they come out with a fully fleshed out wp experience and by that I mean all the features I loved on Symbian and that are already there on Android I’ll stick to my existing DEAD Symbian line up and my SONY Androids.

9. c0br4 says:

RIP Symbian
    I’ll miss you!! :(

10. tpmabb says:

so glad to have lived in the symbian era too. my story:

nokia n70
    nokia e51
    nokia n86
    nokia n82
    nokia e51(again)
    nokia 5800
    nokia e51 (forgive me!)

at least that’s what i remember

11. Allawi says:

Why Nokia? That’s not good for the community

12. CapitanSevilla says:

The Plan is Over.
    Don´t forget who is Stephen Elop, and where he comes from…

13. Paul Grenfell says:

RIP Nokia – Symbian Belle, especially the 808.. Last of the complete phones finally made by Nokia. Not even Lumia WP has replaced this icon as yet. Will never sell mine..

14. dss says:

the 808 is sort of a collector’s item now i guess … I don’t think you could wish for a better device to close the chapter with.

My symbian history is

E71(2 years), E72(3-4months), N8(20 months), 808

15. Ben says:

Mannn, this does make me real sad. Ive had nothing but Nokias since my very first phone. I guess ive officially finished out my Nokia run with a debranded C7. I still remember when I paid $250 for my N80! That thing had a better camera than most cell phones today! And who could forget the amazing N-93 which pretty much turned into a video camera!?

16. Sue says:

My first phone was a nokia 3310. I felt like using a smart phone when i first bought it. That was a very long time ago. . . Then i bought my first real smartphone, the nokia 7610. It is one of my all time favourites. . . Then i had the 6600, n72, 3230, 3250, n90, n91, n73, n82, n76, 6708, n8, 701. Unfortunately, my 701 was stolen from me. . I wanted the 808, but couldn’t get it. . Currently using nokia 112. Im proud to be a nokian. . .

17. Jim Gordon says:

This is quotation:
    Nokia sales down 79% in China as Symbian dies, Lumia slow to grow >> Tech In Asia

If you thought Nokia’s China figures for 2011 were a disaster, you should see what just emerged today. Nokia’s China nightmare is clearly not yet over as the country’s growing middle-class continues to pick up iPhones and Android smartphones. That’s the picture painted by Nokia’s full-year 2012 report that came out today. It shows Nokia sales revenue down 79% in China from the previous year, and phone units plummeted 69% to a mere 4.6m sold in the final quarter of last year.

China is very, very important for Nokia.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2013/jan/25/technology-links-newsbucket?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fmedia%2Frss+%28Media%29

Everyone can find own findings from this and other factors.

18. Jim Gordon says:

Well I don’t want to be negative, I just want to buy a mobile which I like, not necessary the one that a marketing services want to hard sale to me. Keep this in mind Nokia please.

19. Jim Gordon says:

(admin is kindly asked to correct the picture reference if needed, did my best but can’t correct after sent)

source: http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/poll-alternative-phone-operating-systems1.jpg
    And that says that on 100 users: 40 want to try Sailfish so MeeGo in fact, 74 want to try Linux (counting together Sailfish/MeeGo, Ubuntu Mobile, Tizen),and 7 want to try WP – as na alternative system for mobile phone. What do you think about this?

20. manu says:

it should have been killed when N97 failed anyway its good bye to the old fella.

21. rustyknight17 says:

I may be wrong here but I`m almost certain Nokia said support , including ( new ) devices , until 2016 .I`m also pretty certain Elop said 6 Belle devices for last year . So much for Nokia`s promises …
    So this the new Nokia ? Keep promises only if it`s convienent ? Take heed WP supporters , for this includes WP7 as well , which Elop and the board knew before releasing it that WP7 SPs wouldn`t be upgradeable to WP8 . Youse have been warned !
    Say what u will about Samsung and Apple , but at least when they promise their customers a new device , they deliver , unlike Nokia … Nor do they alienate their core constituency to anywhere close to the degree Nokia has !
    Well , looks like I`ll get the 808 if I can and perhaps either the 303 or 311 as a BU , but that`s it for me …

• Zipa says:

You most certainly are wrong. Support does not, and never has, included any promise of new devices.

• rustyknight17 says:

Sorry but u r wrong , I recall the press releases back in 2011 and early 2012 when the 808 was released . we were promised 6 Belle devices for 2012 . And the official NOKIA press releases specified that support would include new devices until 2016 . Google it !

22. Chén Zhé says:

Thank you Nokia for the era you brought to me.
    Farewell Nokia. I won’t ever buy anything more from you.

• Jerome Horno says:

:( that is something what was hard to say for me… but seems you have just said this for me, and even in behalf of me… As I am not interested in Windows at all (I have tried and thank you Nokia – definitely not interested in) and there will not be anything else, then Nokia could be for me interesting only as hardware on which I could load and launch either Symbian or Sailfish or MeeGo. I can buy a device fr this purposes, under condition that windows will be remove-able and Sailfish/MeeGo load/lunch-able. IMHO. And thank you Nokia for all those passed years of glory, that were good times! It’s a pity they gone with a wind……..;(((

• open_douche says:

Same here. I will buy the 808 but I will never buy any WP Nokia. With the end of Symbian and Meego or Maemo Nokia threw everything away what I loved them for. Now they make some fancy looking devices with no soul and no versatility. Things which defined all high end Nokias.
        Fare well Nokia and thanks for everything.

Next bus stop: Jolla.

1110 – 6600 – N70 – N82 – N900 (in service) – N8 (in service)

• Deep Space Bar says:

yea USA killed Nokia..pure negativity towards Symbian….symbian never had the bad feed back till apple came around

23. Regan says:

farewell my friend Symbian…
    1. 3310 – 1 yrs
    2. 3530 – 2yrs i gave it to my brother
    3. n91 – 1month (stolen on mcdo fastfood)
    4. n95 – 2yrs i gave it to my brother
    5. n96 – 1yrs (stolen on bus)
    6. n97 mini – 1yrs (stolen on bus)
    7. n98 (orange and purple) – o 2 yrs and p 1 yrs alive and kicking