Windows Phone continues to make gains, says Kantar Worldpanel

| April 1, 2013 | 59 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 10.03.34

Data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech USA’s consumer panel says Windows Phone continued to make gains with up to 4.1% of smartphone sales. That’s up from 2.6% in the previous quarter.

Both Android and WP grew at the expense of iOS which was said to be down a consecutive period.

Update: In UK, Kantar says WP is up to 6.7%, up 3% from the previous year. Nokia’s share finally beginning to show gains, holding 5.6% of the market.

Cheers Muerte for the tip!

Category: Lumia, Nokia

1. ms.nokia says:

great news, wp gained market share while ios lost market share,

2. Janne says:

Of course this is not surprising to anyone but the “WP can never get up, just down, completely rejected” trolls.

That said, expect the numbers to be mediocre on a very long way upwards.

• nn says:

It’s basic fact that Lumia peak was in 2012Q2. And unless in previous quarter Elop sold around 6M Lumias, the market share will be still down.

• Mark says:

It’s a basic fact you were wrong but have dug yourself into a hole and can’t admit it. :)

Silly troll.

• Janne says:

It is certainly true that first Lumia generation peaked and wen’t then down, but that is only a small part of the big picture. Lumia is no major success, but it is not a failure either.

• nn says:

I don’t know what “big picture” is supposed to mean here, but the talk about upward trends is simply wishful thinking. The real data shows there is no growth, period.

Sure, you can hope that in the following quarters Elop will be able to gain some fraction of percentage point. But with such very long upward trend what is the outlook? Double digit share later in the next decade? Quarter of the market at Elop’s funeral? Such “progress” is of course unsustainable.

• Janne says:

I believe, from the data (all of it) at hand, Lumia will be sustainable, but on a mediocre level for the time being – that is, a financially viable third ecosystem but remaining significantly below iOS and Android levels.

Obviously that means I see an upwards trend from 2012, but on that is far too slow to call Lumia any kind of success any time soon.

• mirco says:

How would you call it that people have started to be interested in Nokia again? Mindshare is growing again? People are coensidering Nokia as a possible choice and a serious smartphone vendor again? The 920 is compared to the flagships and to nothing else? I would call this a success already now! I know that you don’t belong to the fraction of haters (heck, not even close) but you could be a little bit more optimisitc here. I think they have done a really good job in changing their public perception from “outdated” to “innovative” and I don’t believe that a slow/smooth transition could have worked better.

• Janne says:

I am optimistic about the things you list – and think there has already been progress in mindshare, definitely. I am also hugely optimistic about the products themselves. Look at the beautiful kick-ass stuff Nokia is producing nowadays, from Asha to Lumia. Innovative not just in mindshare, but in reality. Really compelling stuff and a world apart from the lack-luster Symbian years of late.

That said, my nose tells me that the way upwards for Lumia will be a very long one. Financially, I keep the outlook at mediocre.

• Janne says:

(And just to clarify, I don’t think Symbian overall was lackluster – only the 2009 onwards touch era was. Before that Symbian was plenty innovative, Nokia did lots of cool stuff with it that they have not done later in Symbian’s life. Since 2009 only two cameras and one hardware keyboard stand out, rest of the Symbian product and line was really meh.)

• mirco says:

Yes, financially it’s a different story. We will have to wait a little bit to see something which sells in the order of a Galaxy4 or iPhone. However, that was expectable no matter which route they had chosen. First they had to turn the slope of mindshare and then turn it around. This can be seen as much harder then starting from zero or an already rising slope like Apple.

And of course, Symbian had its glory days. No discussion. However, in the N95 I faced problems which were there all the way until Belle Refresh on the N8 (and some are still there).

• nn says:

I guess it doesn’t make sense to ask for supporting data for your mindshare theories, because even if there were some numbers, you would just boldly ignored them. Same for quotes that this expectable carnage was actually expected before it happened.

At lest all is good and well, the tide is turning, MS and Nokia are on the top again with superb and widely beloved products. There are some nuisances in the not so important financial and sales department, but this was expectable and of course it in no way means the product has any problems.

• Janne says:

The product doesn’t have significant problems, other than ecosystem issues. During WP7 it used to have certain limitations, but nowadays those are mostly gone. So, the product is good. But even with the best of products, cracking the current market is hard.

Again, that’s my view.

• mirco says:

@nn… as if you would provide any data for your “WP is not growing and Metro is the fault” hypothesis. Just open your eyes and see how many tech sites are praising the current Lumias, how many polls are won, how often the 920 is mentioned and compared to other flagships…and then compare this to the times of Symbian. Of course, you will say that Symbian was all fine and there was just the evil conspiracy of blogger against it. And if there were problems with Symbian (which you wouldn’t accept) then Symbian was just about to get good if not evil Elop came and axed it down.

• nn says:

What are the “ecosystem issues”? Apps? I thought you declared that solved problem last year when they hit 100k in marketplace.

Even if taking your fatalistic approach where sales success is at the mercy of smartphone gods and disconnected from the actual qualities of product or sales strategy, it only leads back to the question who decided to use one and only one platform. Platform that is new, incompatible with everyone else and from vendor who already proved to be totally incompetent in this area.

• nn says:

@mirco

Nokia sales are lagging behind industry growth thus their share is shrinking, that’s your data. I also pointed out how trying to sell Metro UI leads to failure no matter the device, manufacturer or practically anything else, so there you have another data and your correlation.

Meanwhile I didn’t see even definition of mindshare, but it probably includes winning polls in on internets…

But as I said data are irrelevant in this discussion, because all it takes is to assert that we believe in existence of upward trends and data are just another opinion.

• Symbianista tuli uskonto joka söi Maemon says:

So now you are saying that market share matters?

When Symbian lost market share in Q4 2010 people were saying market share doesn’t matter.

Strange.

• benam badshah says:

Janne, Any idea on what the numbers will be like?

• benam badshah says:

And also asha numbers?

3. Keith too says:

Wow, fracken nice trajectory.

4. Svedu says:

Very good news. Yet I am not that surprised, people using wp like it a lot. I would find it more strange if the platform would not grow.

Some aggresive marketing on top of this, and great success cannot be avoided.

5. spacemodel says:

And another April Fools Day post…

6. Keith too says:

Netmarketshare is also showing another nice bump for Windows Phone last month and for the first time it has overtaken Blackberry and is poised to overtake Symbian next month.

7. dss says:

Yes, Nokia saved Microsoft’s mobile platform strategy…

• Janne says:

Of course they did.

• nn says:

More like extended shelf life a bit. In fact I think Elop probably killed MS mobile platform in the long run, which would be the ultimate irony. If WP was left to its natural death in the 2011 it would allow MS to scrap that lemon, rework both strategy and tactics and start with something new, something what could people like.

Instead MS is now locked into wasting resources on WP for years while simultaneously inflicting heavy damages on their other products with the Metro UI thing. Meanwhile Elop made Nokia irrelevant in smartphones and thus useless for any serious success in that market, so MS has to either find another manufacturer, or start making own phone HW (not that it would help).

• Harangue says:

Wait what? You’re saying that if MS were to scrap WP they would have possibly reworked their strategy for their mobile side, or in other words ditch Metro and go with a more Android-like UI for instance?

WP is just a spec of dust on MS entire operation (and they don’t try to hide it with the sluggish pace they develop it) From what I read in your comment it is WP that inflicted Metro on W8 and all other products even when WP is the small timer in MS entire portfolio. So just to recap, we have Metro in W8 and all other MS products because of WP and in turn that other very small product called the Zune music player?

• nn says:

First, we are speculating about alternative realities here.

But early WP failure would have forced them to do at least some changes just to make it different from the failure, and possibly to question the whole thing before everything is set in stone, like not forcing everyone into tiles.

In other words the situation could have been the same or better for MS, but not worse.

• Janne says:

You still believe “tiles” are inherently unsellable. See, not all of us believe that. I don’t think it is true at all. It is a genuinely compelling and different UI offering and definitely not the reason why WP has been faring poorly.

• Viipottaja says:

A taxi driver in NYC last week said my L920 and the UI looks better than his Sammy Galaxy Note II (real story). I think that’s all the proof we need that the WP UI is just fine. :P ;)

• Harangue says:

‘First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.’

The last part about winning remains to be seen and depends on the definition of winning. Other than that the train of thought applies to WP, as it did to iOS/Android before it.

• nn says:

You know, this is actually the biggest problem, the refusal to engage with reality. No matter who tried to sell that OS or how many billions were spend on it, it’s and always was disaster. Tablets are disaster. They slap it on and desktop OS and the result is that suddenly Vista looks like a success. Yet there is apparently no problem, after all if there is no growth we can invent one.

Just completely deny the reality and utter some “wait for it” prophecies. Like a gambler who is confident that if allowed to play one more round, he will finally hit the jackpot, which moment will be proof his strategy was right all the time.

The irony is that for all the bashing about Symbian cult, in the old days they were able to see something is wrong, they decided to make changes to Symbian and of course to work on alternatives. It’s only with Elop and WP when suddenly everything is perfect so there is no need to change anything or, god forbid, to have alternative. But reality doesn’t care about your beliefs.

• Janne says:

Oh, there are plenty of problems that have resulted in lackluster sales. In my view “Metro” just isn’t the reason for them. Especially not on WP. And especially not on any kind of permanent basis that would make “Metro” products inherently unsellable or unattractive to customers.

I think you are engaging in a logical fallacy when you conclude WP sales are a rejection of Metro. But hey, that’s just my view. Yours is different.

• Harangue says:

That first sentence is pretty good, use that on Symbian/MeeGo and all other theories in the future as well.

Regarding the tiles, MS might have changed more if adoption really sucked (as in Kin-like sucked) Looking at what MS is planning for W8 Blue and other concept stuff I’d say they are working on making tiles far more usable then they are now.

I won’t deny the tiles are far from ideal. There is far more potential there than what MS (and devs) are using now. Just looking at what Jolla is doing with the cards and how you can interact with them is one thing MS could implement, albeit in a little easier way as I find Jolla’s way confusing at times.

All in all, the future will tell what happens. As it stands now there is very little one can do, besides boycotting MS maybe :P

• nn says:

Yeah yeah, wait for Windows Blue, then for Windows Green, Windows Cyan, ad infinitum. Because there is solid history of innovative and ground breaking WP upgrades.

• Harangue says:

Ha, no I’m not saying anyone should wait for the next iteration of any OS. That way nobody would buy anything anymore.

The thing is though, the tiles/Metro as a concept/idea can be pretty powerful and usable. MS is only now starting to use that potential.

The problem with MS is that they only look at what they want to add to the Metro side. They somehow aren’t looking at missing features that people have grown accustomed to over the years. I mean, no separate volume control for ringer and media? Not even WP8? That is a major fail in my book and a huge irritation when using WP.

• nn says:

WP is on the market for two and half years, and developed for untold more years before that. So if they are starting to use its potential just now…

Anyway, you have better chance getting something new from Nokia than from MS, because MS managed to create mess in its desktop department and for sure they will concentrate on that issue. But even here, if it takes two year to bring in as trivial feature as doubletape is to the brand new OS…

One is really starting to miss the days of speedy Symbian development.

8. joza2006 says:

As expected really. When they signed a contract with MS many “experts” said that it is better news for MS than for Nokia.
    That may be true, but now Nokia holds WP ecosystem. Nokia did good.

• Harangue says:

That is exactly what happened, Nokia saved MS and not the other way around. Although I do have to say I don’t believe Nokia would have succeeded on their own, but that’s a whole different story.

Nokia owning the WP ecosystem doesn’t amaze me, it is similar to what Nokia did with Symbian. It started as something co-owned by many and ended up in Nokia’s hands partially due to Nokia playing hard ball and steering the ship that way. Nokia can play pretty dirty, just like MS can and just like all other (tech) companies can when it comes down to profits.

• mirco says:

You ma good point here. First of all, I agree with you that Nokia might not have done it on their own. In this respect, I think it is fair to say that MS has saved Nokia as well. Then, your second thought concerns me as well. I really hope that HTC and Samsung put a little bit more effort behind WP. This is what Elop means when he wants that other companies succeed with WP as well. Nokia doesn’t want to repeat the history…

• Shaun says:

It’s not the same this time. In the Symbian days Nokia could throw a lot of influence around in the consortium such that its S60 UI won out over other UIs.

One can only wonder what would have happened if UIQ was Nokia’s UI instead of Ericsson’s.

Today you have the Windows Phone UI so closely tied to Microsoft’s tablet, desktop and even web UI that Nokia surely has very little influence.

• Harangue says:

That’s true, Nokia has less bargaining power than they had in the Symbian days. But still, I believe Nokia and the people there are far from stupid and are far more ‘evil’ (for the lack of a better word) than what the outside world sees.

UIQ, that was definitely the better UI in the Symbian days. Remember some devices from Ericsson back then, those were mind blowing at the time.

9. BellGo says:

Hmm? Very surprising.

10. prakhar says:

hi… jay

please help me in doing my research work on my topic
    ‘Customer preference for android and windows phone’.
    please send me some material to me .
    please please help me……… . ……….