Opera 10.1 for Maemo (N900)

| July 15, 2010 | 15 Replies

Announced on the Maemo Talk forums here, fans of Opera’s web browser can grab an updated version for Maemo from the extras-testing (or extras-devel for N8x0 users) repository as of today.

Here’s a copy and paste of the changes detailed in the forum post:

• Geolocation support.
  • Javascript JIT support.
  • Fix garbage display after rotation due to incorrect stride.
  • Fix monospaced font in UI elements.
  • Fix display of Asian fonts in UI elements.
  • More efficient socket handling, decreases CPU usage slightly.
  • Suspend JavaScript, animations etc. when screen saver activates.
  • Reduced tearing while panning.
  • Fix proxy server mixup.
  • Fix crash when reading proxy settings.
  • Upgraded Opera Core, including many bugfixes
  • Many bugfixes to the UI

And the currently known issues:

• Somewhat higher memory usage, especially on JavaScript intensive sites.
  • Due to timing issues with different geolocation information providers (WiFi, cell towers, GPS) first request may have poor precision.
  • Fast scrolling not optimized for page rendering.
  • Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported.
  • Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode.
  • The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported. Use the physical keyboard or the on screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile.

The improved CPU handling is definitely a move in the right direction, though I’ve not tried it myself yet. I don’t think it’s going to replace the built-in MicroB for me yet, but it’s well on the way. I’m particularly impressed, however, at Opera’s support for a platform where Nokia abandoned them a few years ago (for better or worse).

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Maemo, Nokia

1. Charles says:

Great! I’m a fan of Opera on the desktop, and like the fact that they are trying create a good mobile browser.

2. Charles says:

3. Duncan says:

I really like that opera made the regular Opera Browser free. It is so much better than mini.

4. peter says:

I can’t install opera on my N900. I launch it but it quit. I’ve already flash the phone but it doesn’t work yet…

5. Jay Montano says:

Every time I try a different browser on the N900 I keep crawling back to MicroB.

It’s still just too good. Though FireFox and Opera both have certain uses. FF useful for certain sites that MicroB may have trouble with (often when user agent doesn’t detect MicroB properly when the same site used to before) and Opera when travelling and the connection isn’t fast/stable.

Opera on Symbian though is a life saver as that disgusting thing they call a web browser on the N97 just fills me with frustration.

6. deniz says:

selam benim n900telefonum var ve gelen numara engellemeyi bilmiyorum artı msjlardan engellemek istiyorum yardımcı olurmusunuz lütfen

7. Robuster says:

8. Tivisiana says:

Great post! I’m a fan of Opera on the desktop, and like the fact that they are trying create a good mobile browser.
    thank