N8 saves the day, formats Josh Topolsky's "fried" memory card.

| November 16, 2010 | 36 Replies

As I’m sure we’ve all heard in tech news lately, Windows Phone 7 devices have a nasty nack for screwing up the memory cards of any individual adventurous enough to ignore the warning Microsoft gave when they said DO NOT USE with regards to third-party memory cards. Unfortunately for users of the Samsung Focus, including a certain Engadget editor, this device once used in the device is nigh-on useless when removed and tried in others. Imagine buying a 32Gb card and not being able to use it anywhere else (I’d be outraged). While it’s clearly not Microsoft or Samsung’s fault for users being disobedient, it’s still a sucky predicament to be in, especially if important or irreplaceable files are on this memory card.

See more information on the problem here.

Seems that one of our readers sent a slight tip to Mr. Topolsky via twitter on how to correct his unfortunate problem. Funnily enough no other methods worked and this includes attempting to format it using a Linux PC.

Here’s the transcript Antonio provided us.

Full story: Engadget chief editor Joshua Topolsky was doing some tests with his MicroSD on a brand new Samsung Focus with WP7. The Focus formatted the SD and (I don’t know for sure, but I think) it worked on the phone, but then he could not remove and still use the MicroSD later. As Topolsky mentioned, the Focus “fried” his SD card.

He mentioned on twitter he had tried putting the microSD card (to format it) in some cameras. None worked. He also tried on his Windows PC with several programs to format SD cards suggested by other people on twitter. None of the programs worked, the SD card wasn’t even recognized and would not format. Then people told him Ubuntu was the solution and it would definitely fix the SD card with success, and gave him some advanced SD formatting tools. None worked.

It was just when I read his tweet asking for help that I knew I had the definitive solution to his problem: I told him to put the SD card into the Nokia N8 and I told him it would work, and the phone would fix his microSD card successfully. And that’s exactly what happened.”

Obviously Josh ignored him (for good reason he’d have thought)

“He didn’t seem to have noticed, so I insisted. I didn’t know whether it was a SD or MicroSD card because he was just saying SD card on his twitter, so I gave him a solution that would also work for SD cards (using a SD card reader on the N8; please notice this is not necessary for microSD cards because the N8 already has a microSD slot).”

Josh’s replies are below.

LOL!

Guess the phone doesn’t suck so bad after all huh :P :)

Thanks Antonio!

Tags: ,

Category: Nokia, Nseries, Symbian^3

So you've read something I've written. yay!! As you already know, my name is Andre and I'm currently a student based in Atlanta. Much like Jay, I pretty much blog here in my free time. Follow me on twitter @andre1989 or contact me directly at Andre(at)mynokiablog(dot)com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

1. Shanabo says:

I’m sure he won’t say it on engadget.

2. Antonio says:

Yeah, I also think he won’t update it anymore. On his last update to the Engadget post he just said “we appear to have fried a card after moving it in and out of our own Focus today to the point that no PC, phone, or camera can read it anymore”.

But you can be sure that posts about people putting strange things/lenses on top of their iPhone 4 “hello 2007″ 5mp camera with single LED can even get their own post on Engadget home… (as have already happened).

Thanks for posting this!

3. Par Vers says:

I had the following debate over their self censorhip few days ago on Engadget´s Review of N8. Be sure they will not mention this thing even in the forthcoming E7 review…if it ever deserves to be reviewed…

Hello Vlad,
    just out of curiosity I would like to know why the comments on Nokia N8 review are turned off entirely?
    It appears that one can comment on any other review of Engadget (those made before or after N8′s), but this one is for some reason no go.
    Something is not in line with the politics of your site – which I like quite a bit. What is it?
    BR,
    M

RESPONSE
    Hi M,
    We’ve disabled comments on the N8 review because they deteriorated into a mudslinging match and were no longer constructive in any sense of the word. You’ll have noticed there are over 1,400 comments on that post already, so most of the valuable stuff will already have been said.
    Kind Regards,
    Vlad Savov

• Andre says:

They’ll say its the same as the N8 great hardware-ish, crap software and give it a 5 while leaving comments turned off.

4. FireDragon says:

Two Thumbs Up and High for N8

5. Nokia fan (from Finland) says:

Awesome! People should spread the word on engadget.com.

6. chfyfx says:

N8 is superior in many ways. Cannot wait for the updates. Keep them coming, Nokia!

7. andre says:

What can we expect to see?

8. Danny says:

WP7 FAIL, N8 WIN!

No matter how much Engadget (or others) hate Nokia/Symbian, at the end, Nokia/Symbian users can do things that other users can only imagine! Nokia is right, It’s not the technology, it’s what you do with it!

I bet Josh’s money would’ve been wasted if it wasn’t for Nokia N8 ;) And I know they will still keep hating Nokia for no apparent reason……….:/
    Who cares? At least we can enjoy the treat ;)

9. nocare says:

hey my hdmi cover has so many scrathes, how do i remove that scratches?

• Keith says:

you can’t remove those scratches. that and the bottom part of the N8 are made out of plastic so that it provides good reception…..

10. nocare says:

the palstic surface is shiny that make that scratches noticeble

very bad mistake by nokia,

is there any liquid to remove that scrathes, or spare parts from third party manufacturers?

• Keith says:

Nokia actually didn’t have any other choice. using metal would have caused the whole antennagate thing on N8.

I don’t know of any liquid that can remove such scratches. and i wouldn’t use any 3rd party parts 4 replacing those plastic caps. may be you can check at a Nokia Care center or something?

11. fwaf says:

Have you heard of themes? You can easily change that by switching to one of the built in alternative themes or downloading additional themes. Symbiantweet blog features a lot of nice themes so that’s a good place to start.

12. Jay Montano says:

Nice, WP7 users make sure you know a friend with N8/E7 for USB OtG.

13. Miller Teng says:

alex68, after N8 firmware update, will N8 still facing dead problem?

14. Antonio says:

Joshua has just made a new post about the Focus MicroSD problems, and this one includes one paragraph saying the N8 fixed the problem:

“Windows Phone 7′s microSD mess: the full story (and how Nokia can help you out of it)”

15. weeezes says:

So no update this year afterall :). What a scam, Alex68 got my hopes up :P. Now we just have to deal with all the faults ’till f**king March! :(

• alex68 says:

Hey guy, be calm. Who said the update would be available next March? Actually some regions such as China have received some updates such as important software update, latest Ovi map etc, and more is coming soon.

BTW, where are you from?

16. Prodigy Viisto says:

@Alex68 Will we see very responsive touch screen in upcoming update. Can you tell us is the swype changed in Homescreen?
    And will we see those new themes later Q1 or early Q1?