Nokia has something to hide and it looks like a new UI

| January 31, 2011 | 34 Replies

Oh boy, hot off the heels of my last post on Nokia NOT ditching MeeGo, Jim sent us a lovely little link to a note posted by Henrik Hartz over at Qt Labs. In essence, the Qt Quick UI components that Nokia has been developing and is apparently going to be using in its MeeGo UI, are being finalised as we speak, with the last bit of work being kept a secret until a final release within the very foreseeable  future :).

Very interesting stuff to say the least. Could the timing be any better?

Via

Tags: ,

Category: MeeGo, Qt

So you've read something I've written. yay!! As you already know, my name is Andre and I'm currently a student based in Atlanta. Much like Jay, I pretty much blog here in my free time. Follow me on twitter @andre1989 or contact me directly at Andre(at)mynokiablog(dot)com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

Sites That Link to this Post

1. MeeGo UI update goes covert ahead of “feature complete” reveal - SlashGear | January 31, 2011
  2. Szilárd-Erwin Szogyényi | February 2, 2011
  1. xyz says:

Uhuhuh… Sounds promising :))

2. alex68 says:

Yes, I think Nokia should protect Meego better than Symbian 3 for N8. Don\t unveil the UI of Meego before it is ready to release.

3. snk says:

does this mean that n8 soon will be upgraded.. or have this news nothing to do woth that.. please explain.

• Andre says:

I think it’s MeeGo related so not N8

• Heine says:

“We will of course continue to reflect API changes in both Symbian style (which is starting to form in src/symbian) and the custom style branch – as well as in our project on bugreports [1].”

This means they are doing something to the Symbian UI, dosen’t ut?

• uKER says:

From the comments:

* Hi,
        one question: Will there be two different somponent-sets, one for Symbian and another for MeeGo? Is there an easy way planed to switch between these two when creating an App for both platforms? One way without any recoding, redesigning and rethinking UX?

* We have a “common API”, which we at the moment only can enforce with autotests; There will be a few platform specific UI components, but there will be a very small set

So yes, the development applies to both Meego and Symbian alike.

• uKER says:

It also suggests that, while not directly compatible, QT applications will be really easy to cross-port between Symbian and Meego.

4. marc says:

damn its febuary and still no pr1.1 for my n8. this is fuking crap. i bet the n9 will be delayed and meego. well bye nokia you just cant compete fuk

• Dave says:

Thats a nicely worded, constructive posting there … well, no it isn’t in the slightest.

I think you’ll find that for the most part, pr1.0 on the N8 is a reliable operating system. No glaring bugs, no real problems (other than the design of the browser).

So you’re actually going to give up on a reliable phone because they haven’t given a release date for a minor point OS upgrade?

• What about...? says:

“No glaring bugs, no real problems…”

What about the text input? One of the most important features in a smartphone and it’s totally screwed, because there’s no scrollbar or split view editing. Any text over 3 rows in length is PITA to edit on N8.

What about the wireless, that sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t?

And what about the 90′s user interface itself? It takes me 5 clicks to just change a setting profile in the camera application! When I want to take a photo, I want to choose the profile immediately and shoot, not *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* “oh, the bird/car/etc. is gone already”.

Nokia is lucky that I want the best camera in my phone. Otherwise I would be an Android user in a blink of an eye.

• Cocco Bill says:

“What about the wireless, that sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t?”

“What about the frequent “Out of memory” errors (especially when using the browser), even though there’s lots of memory left and not many programs open?”

“What about the general slowness of the user interface? For 600 euros I’m not only expecting functionality, but smooth functionality. If other manufacturers can deliver it, why not Nokia, the company that uses largest amounts of money to R&D?”

There must be something wrong with your N8. Mine doesn’t act like that at all. The wireless problem especially makes me think that there’s a hardware problem. And then there’s also those other things you mention. Sounds like a defective unit to me.

• Peter says:

Only thing Nokia has officially promised to you is that it will bring PR2.0 to your N8 “Early 2011″. Everything else is just hype from Internet.

• Viipottaja says:

Just wait till tomorrow.

5. KeiZka says:

31st of January, today is.

6. Jason says:

HH is not hiding the complete UI, only the components (like push buttons, selectors etc.) of MeeGo UI. Since it is very undesirable to close the repository I would suspect that some kind of Meego release is only couple weeks away, like in MWC.

There are several person looking some kind of info about upcoming N9 from repositories open to public (developers). Maybe there are some valid information available but all the important data is located inside the Nokia domain and available only need to know basis to Nokia ‘s own employees and partners.

7. zonk0r says:

I’d still think i’m right with an April Announcement – but before i said June release.. well looks like Nokia will have everything ready a lot sooner than anticipated after trawling through the last month’s tidbits.

I’d say April announcement with May release.

i’d say tech demo’s (not including Nokia UI) with some new intel hardware to get people excited and vanilla MeeGo at MWC…

makes the most sense to do it that way.. build up some hype, then BOOM!

• Eero says:

I´d say you´ll come very close if there´s to believe the release schedule for meego 1.2, which is supposed to be “released to web” 27-4-2011 if my memory serves me right.

• Johnny Tremaine says:

I’m doubting that.

They won’t want to have to compete with the Apple media machine centered around the iPhone 5; my guess would be much later for an N9, maybe the holiday season/Q3 or 4.

8. Jed says:

hopefully the haters no longer be hatin, FINALLY
    MWC can’t come soon enough! :)

• OpenSource says:

IF Nokia is going to be succesful with Meego, I can assure you that there will be a lot more Nokia haters around the net ;)

9. et3rnal says:

there is any new UI for Symbin “for now” and it will be ready n we might see an beta\alpha version sooon :D yay soo excited

10. Champ says: