Family of MeeGo-Harmattan protoype devices?

| August 9, 2012 | 141 Replies

I posted this over at MobilePhoneInnovation, so I figured I should post it here as well, since it is something a few readers may be interested in taking a look at.

I’ve been doing some digging and have come across an interesting quote by somebody that was a part of getting MeeGo-Harmattan to where it is today. I am not going to identify who they are, solely as I don’t want people to harass them. The information though is public, so people can find it if they look. When discussing an app feature modding the System, they said their “patch restores functionality that was originally intended to be in devices that have the hardware keyboard.” Since the “consumer devices with a hardware keyboard were canceled” the SW in the N950 was left locked to accomodate for the only consumer device, N9

Doing some more digging and using my own knowledge, there are approximately 7 devices designed (and apparently prototyped), incl. N9 & N950, made for MeeGo-Harmattan. I have only 2 images, one of a device, one of the concept drawings, but here is a list of different devices:

• N9: This obviously made it to market and for good reason. It is gorgeous. No need to explain this further
  • N950: Again, this is a known device. Regulated to a dev-only device for various reasons
  • N9, but with a camera shutter, and improved camera
  • There is the silver N950 we have seen a few times, and that was featured on Transformers 3. It had an earlier version of MH (earlier than what came with N950s). It had support for its 12MP camera, but with lower internal specs, and was shelved rather quickly.
  • This was a device that looked very similar to the N8. It follows the rumours of there being a MeeGo succesor to the ex-CameraPhone King
  • Apparently this prototype matched the design of the Nokia One exactly.
  • Another QWERTY device with MH on board. No more info has been shared with me, but I assume it would have been the successor to N950

Here are the images I have of the initial N950, and design of N9 w/ physical camera. Trying to source more. Will update if they come to my attention.

Showing blueprint for N9 w/ camera button

I am pretty annoyed personally. We could’ve had a family of MeeGo-Harmattan devices, and even a better N9 than what currently exists (even though many argue it can’t happen). What are your thoughts?

Category: Concept, ideas, Leak, MeeGo, Nokia, Nseries, Rant

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. skyfall says:

Elop….I curse you that after your death your soul will be forever trapped in the source code of windows and one day Microsoft will fall because of that virus code

2. giorgio says:

It’s amazing how one company threw away the chance to bring something unique (again) to the world. Don’t get me wrong, Windows Phone is a great product. But Nokia could have walked their own path. I truly believe that by now they would have made their recovery, had they followed the future that Meego brought to the scene.

3. xNokian says:

There were 5 devices on MeeGo roadmap for late 2011 – early 2012 launch, all of which were canned after Feb.11 memo. To be fair, one of the reasons for cancellation was slipping on schedules… N950 was one year late, so it became irrelevant, according to the evaluation.

• Shane says:

Rubbish it wasn’t 1yr late….
      Had resources not been dropped considerably from Feb 11′ it would’ve been 9mth(Sept) at the worst, but more likely 7mth.
      And the N9 would’ve started shipping from October, possibly September.
      And from that point onwards there would no longer have been slippages, the issues causing that had been hugely mitigated.

• Derrek says:

Actually the N9/N950 were both a year (or even more) late, and Nokia’s roadmap for MeeGo was somewhere in the range of 1 phone produced per year. I would have been afraid for Nokia is that were the case and they still went with MeeGo. Nokia is no Apple (which I hate to admit) and though MeeGo is great, Nokia wouldn’t know how to market it well enough to survive off one phone per year (one of the company’s downfalls). WP made sense to me only because Nokia now has more marketing help from an outside source.

• Shane says:

Nice necro, do you often revive long dead threads, please dont do that, it is terrible nettiquette.

It is an utter fallacy that there was only one on the roadmap per year, see Nokia’s own lead engineer Felipe Contreas who totally refuted that shortly after Elop made the claim, meego proper was still “a long way out” when it was cancelled, there was to be at least two more Harmattan devices following N950 and N9, and no they weren’t a yr “or more” late as you claim, they were 9.5mth late, my point was they wouldn’t have been “as late” if resources hadn’t dropped as dramatically, which they did (see Kontorri’s confirmation & countless other evidence along the way, no attempt was ever made by Nokia to hide that).

4. rustyknight17 says:

Shane , with u !
    Everyone seems to forget in these discussions that the N9 was the first commercial meego phone , naturally thre were delays and issues! And of course the successors wouldn`t have taken nearly as long , the issues were largely resolved !