Visualized: Nokia Maps Vs. the Competition

| September 20, 2012 | 64 Replies

Here’s a really nice infographic showing a comparison between Nokia maps, Apple’s new maps and Google Maps. It’s obvious that Nokia have the advantage in Most fields only losing to Google maps when it comes to traffic updates; but the one thing I really enjoyed about this infographic was that it didn’t try to spin everything in Nokia’s favor; it’s clear honest and just plain facts. Take a closer look at the countries that have Turn-by-turn voice coverage by each service below:

Top: Nokia Maps, Bottom Left: Google Maps, Bottom Right: iOS Maps

Nokia maps truly are amazing, especially in the less popular countries (for me in Jordan) I still find all the little places I want and am easily able to navigate to them. Some of the locations I find aren’t even available on my brothers dedicated Garmin GPS, I’m just hoping for an offline/Mobile version of their full 3D maps to compete with Apple’s new Flyover (which for some reason alot of people hate, honestly I find it pretty cool).

Edit: Apparently Apple maps has some serious navigation and listing issues: Gizmodo

Via

Category: Android, aPPLE, Applications, Nokia

1. Carbontubby says:

Which navigation solution covers most of the developed world and the developing giants like China, India and Brazil?

Nokia Maps FTW :)

2. Andre Ch says:

I want a map for armenia damn it. Google might not have voice guided navigation here, but at least they have a map, and an accurate one, but google maps for symbian is old and cannot be used offlie.

The wait for nokia to provide coverage here is killing me. Good thing there is viewranger as an alternative at least.

3. Prisma says:

The biased American tech media control the message and the message outside USA USA USA is ignored unfortunately.

4. deep space bar says:

they really need to solidify themselves before talking shit….Seriously THEY ARE IN NO POSITION TO TALK SHIT..no matter the circumstance

• Bassman says:

What ‘shit’ are they talking about prey tell?

• deep space bar says:

UM HAVE YOU seen the shit they’ve been pulling lately

• shallow ocean shoal says:

Hey, I like the Asha line!! I don’t think you should crap on Asha like that.

• Bassman says:

All I asked was for YOU TO be MORE SPECIFIC about WHAT they HAVE pulled that YOU thought WAS sHiT?

A lot of people I know have an opinion of Nokia as being a company which makes cheap, albeit solid, phones.

In my opinion, it’s about time they were more aggressive in their marketing and show that they are a real alternative to the iPhone/Android domination that has befallen us.

Nokia drive is awesome and they should make a big song and dance about how great it is. What do you think Apple and Google would do in their position?

• Deep Space Bar says:

not to anythig stupid…you’ve seen samsung from before first they solidified themselves then took over by sales cause they stood by their word…..i didn’t see that with window phone… And how long has it been out for …….exactly

5. dss says:

For Indexing/business listings Goole Maps is still better in the US.. I use both Nokia Maps and Google Maps, and often I find what I am looking for on Google maps, and not on Nokia maps..

Everything else,.. ya, i think Nokia Maps is better, especially for driving.

6. Kit Yeung says:

While Nokia doesn’t update maps error which I’ve reported on both Symbian and WP. I wonder do they ever read these reports I spent time filing.

Also Nokia Drive seriously need alternative route option.

7. James Scott says:

For mobile Nokia maps is a definite yes, use Nokia Drive all the time, for desktop street view in Google maps is hard to beat.

8. Viipottaja says:

Heh, love the fact that Greenland is covered! :P

9. Dave says:

With the current iOS 6 map hatefest going on, Apple should have just used Navteq, and have great+offline maps. MS(Nokia) and Apple coexist happily. Screw Google.

10. stylinred says:

why is Japan still missing from the maps….. and they really need to step up traffic -_-

• deep space bar says:

you think that’s bad…how about UPDATE THE ***** MAPPING for content >.> my nokia maps on my N8 is still lacking alot of content

11. jake20 says:

Nokia maps is not that accurate here in the states.. it almost always routes me to the longer incorrect route..

12. Carl says:

Apple Maps don’t cover Australia?

• stylinred says:

ios6 maps sucks even though it shows a lot of countries covered there’s no detail in many of the areas check this coverage on the latest ios6 maps

• shallow ocean shoal says:

I hate to be that guy..but…

I’d be lying if I didn’t say that the thought crossed my mind wondering whether Steve Jobs would have let this sht out the door.

• Viipottaja says:

This move was probably started under his leadership – whether he would have been satisfied with the quality yet, is another matter of course. My guess is yes, he would have. It’s not like he was the greatest globalist that ever lived.

• Dave says:

He wouldn’t.

I’ve discussed this with several friends who could be called “fanbois”. And they agree – the whole maps (and other things) debacle on iOS 6 would not have happened if Steve Jobs had still been around.

In fact one has gone as far as suggesting that this is the start of Apples gradual decline.

13. stylinred says:

Ali the Coverage map you posted is inaccurate

it shows that nokia maps doesn’t cover Belarus but Belarus maps are an option to download in the Maps Suite same for Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Moldova, etc?

14. tysh says:

It still amazes me that Nokia still don’t have any mapping coverage for Japan.

15. klymax says:

This map contains errors…in my country, Google maps work, not Nokia… the map has the opposite!

• stylinred says:

i just realized if you read the nokia conversations page that coverage map is where voice-guided turn-by turn navigation is available

• klymax says:

Can’t be true still.. they don’t even have the road network in my country much less be able to tell you where to go.

16. migo says:

I’d like to see the actual numbers for public transit. I bet Google’s 500+ is a lot bigger than Nokia’s.

17. Joe says:

So Japan is still missing in Nokia maps. That’s surprising since it is not exactly a technological backwater country.

• rinslowe says:

Maybe just a paranoid one…

• migo says:

No, it’s not that. Nokia got totally thrashed by Sharp and Fujitsu in Japan. Their phones were archaic kids toys compared to what was being produced locally, so they exited the Japanese market entirely with their tails between their legs.

18. rinslowe says:

920 in Yellow is just un – fckn real…

Like the Ferrari of mobile phones…

• shallow ocean shoal says:

I was thinking yellow cab before you said that, so now I like it more

Lamborghini too…though I still prefer my Cyan to match my Play 360, so they better release it (with t-mobile compatibility)

19. shallow ocean shoal says:

If Nokia Transport people are reading this, you guys HAVE TO tie into MTA service advisories. Google does.

Otherwise, your customers are going to wind up on a train that’s re-routed to the wrong neighborhood, they’ll ask for directions, and then get shot in the face and their dead body sodomized.

So, Nokia Transit people, please, add service advisories into your routing tables.

20. It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may I wish to suggest you few fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article. I want to learn more issues about it!