Damian Dinning’s statement, props to unsung imaging Nokia heroes, moving to Jaguar Land Rover.

| November 24, 2012 | 39 Replies

John from Nokia gave us a heads up on Damian Dinning’s statement that he gave to the PureViewClub. Due to key strategic roles moving to Finland (things MOVING TO Finland, NOT away folks) and relocation NOT an option for Damian and his family, it means that Damian is parting ways from Nokia.

Damian acknowledges the work of others in the imaging team, and says he’s embarrassed from the attention and notes the unsung heroes who make our Nokias class leading in imaging.

Another upside I’ve found is that Damian is NOT moving to a competitor, but to Jaguar Land Rover.

Following the news of my forthcoming departure from Nokia I wanted to say a few words:

Firstly, wow! Huge thanks for the incredibly kind words of support and well wishes. I have been so touched by all of your messages.

As reported in Nokia’s own statement regarding my forthcoming departure, a number of key strategic roles have moved to Finland. My family and I are based in the UK at a stage in our lives where relocation is unfortunately not an option. I have therefore made the tremendously difficult decision after nearly 9 years with Nokia to leave the company. I am hugely proud of the work I have been involved with during my time at Nokia and feel privileged to have worked with some of the smartest people I’ve ever been fortunate enough to meet.

As reported by a few, the work area I am best known for, imaging, is the result of a huge and massively talented pool of people. I have often felt embarrassed by the media attention I received knowing that whilst I am proud of my own contributions and the forward looking guidance I have strived to provide the teams, there are a lot of unsung heroes!

I have known for some time that I would be leaving Nokia. I’ve spent many many months with this in mind, working with incredibly talented and highly motivated people across various teams building towards the next steps Nokia will take in imaging.

At a very young age, I had two very strong interests, cars and photography. With regards to the latter, I wanted to be able to take photography from the nerdy or for special occasions only use it was at the time, to being part of everyday life. I never thought I’d be able to play a role in making that happen, but my time at Nokia gave me exactly that opportunity. I really feel I’ve been able to fulfil that ambition. Whilst we’re really only just entering the next major stage in the development of photography and I still have a very clear vision of how I see it’s longer term development, I fully recognise this is the perfect opportunity for me to work in quite a different area.

For those less cynical amongst you, there’s a lot to look forward to as the various teams continue to work as hard as ever. I feel confident you’re going to really love what they’re working on for the future. Having been directly involved, I’m personally intrigued to monitor as a spectator, their progress.

As for my future, I am moving to an industry I’ve wanted to be part of for a very long time. My experience in telecoms and smartphones provides me with a great opportunity to make a difference in a company whose own development is inspiring at a time of great change. I am thrilled that I’ll shortly be joining Jaguar Land Rover where I’ll take a role
driving future innovations in the exciting new field of Connected Car.

You can still contact me via my twitter page @PhoneDaz, but I will not be using this account in relation to my new role. Feel free to nudge me from time to time…

Best wishes to you all.

Damian Dinning

Category: Nokia

1. Frankie says:

I think Nokia should have done something to keep him on board.

• arts says:

Well, if its really ‘i dont want to move elsewhere’ kinda reason, I doubt any amount of money might make it work, especially if the kids, if he has any, might not be able to move about.

2. twig says:

There was a guy who was transferred to my area and his wife said “no we’re not”, so he quit.

3. stylinred says:

Im actually crushed that he isn’t moving to a competitor :/ Jaguar really? ah well :/ that’s that then

4. kiprotich says:

I have a hunch that his final destination is APPLE! JLR is just a curtain to cool down nokia funs…

5. viipottaja says:

Classy guy with his heart in the right place. All the best to him and his family!

• twig says:

You are right. He’s doing the family route and seeking a new role in furthering smartphone extensions beyond the current uses. Smart for Nokia to watch, learn and anticipate his creations with Land Rover to enhance Nokias products for this new role.

6. sdddh says:

oh no, 41mp on lumia further delayed again

7. napier says:

Good luck to Damien. I guess he’s seen the writing on the wall and knows that Nokia will be dead in a year or so. Best to leave before then. All the best to him and his family.

• belle and jolla beat lumia 920 says:

yes, he is clever.

what can he do in jaguar?

• Noki says:

As some one that was several times scouted to work statically on several locations, meaning moving out of my current location, I must say I understand Damian decision. Not being Damian, I Can only share the reasons I never did that.
      For me to move I need to be motivated about what I will do, the team I will do it with, and The company I’m going to work for. Those 3 are mandatory to even consider. Second stage, how much are you going to pay-me and what Is the tax situation at the location, equally important I will need to be very sure about how stable that work is and how committed to s certain strategy that company is. (not going to move for a Position that might be over in less than a year.
      Nokia must have failed in some of those levels, and that’s perfectly ok, maybe nokia was not interested enough to assure it would retain Damien and the cons topped the pros for booth of them.

• Harangue says:

The failure in your reasoning is the I part. Damian is thinking more about his family and perhaps his wife said a big no towards a move to Finland that he might have considered. Don’t underestimate the power of women and especially the one of wives ;)

• Noki says:

I don’t, I’m married, If i wasn’t married maybe I Would have taken one of the proposals I got (turns out it was a brilliant move not to do so but that’s another story).
          As a side note in more than one occasion a placement for my wife was implicitly offered. “I’m sure we can work something out”

A wife is just another piece in the grand equation that needs to be convinced, do not underestimate the power of “honey we get to pick a brand new house, with a walking closet” ;) I would say that the biggest problem is the kids and the school, and grand parents visits…

But yeah as a engineer friend of mine tells me, anything is possible its just a mater of time money and willpower… (I usually ask him for a go back in time machine ;) (theoretically impossible)(unless some one in the pass as already created one that I could use to move back in time but then it would not have been my engineer friend to do it, proving my point and destroying my/his original argument here ;))

• ULTIMATEANTITROLL says:

I have developed the ULTIMATE in anti-troll technology. After working for months in my laboratory in my parent’s basement, I have developed a genius system. Soon companies will be climbing over each other giving me offers for my genius anti-troll technology.

8. Harris says:

BEST WISHES TO DAMIAN!!!

9. DesR85 says:

Good luck and all the best to Mr. Dinning and his family. :)

10. Just Visiting says:

Why? More than likely there is a non-compete clause in his Nokia contract.

11. Grendell says:

Best of luck to Mr. Dinning and his family. It’s sad to see him leave the industry after being so well known as part of the team that gave fans the N8, 808 and 920. Here’s hoping we see him back in the industry he was so influential in enriching…at least in the not too distant future.

12. Valmon says:

Best of luck with the new role, Mr. Dinning.

Thank you for all your hard work at Nokia.

13. rustyknight17 says:

The nioncompete clause makes sense , so maybe his move to Jaguar , if he is , is temporary . This would also account for Nitish Kumar`s tweet that Dinning is going to Samsung !

14. joza2006 says:

who is respected tech blogger ? And where did this roumor even come from ? Let me give you inside info; Stephen Elop will NOT join Apple this year ! Be it nkumar or eldar, i’m so sick of these worthless gossips. They are just sad.

• incognito says:

Stephen Elop? Who said anything about him? Apple is not run by a bunch of lunatics to even contemplate hiring such a person as a courier, let alone something more. Nobody hires incompetent people except for the government, companies with strong monopolistic positions which can afford an idiot at the helm, or companies who’s BoD have decided to commit a massive suicide as the case is with Nokia.

Apple doesn’t fit any of these three scenarios, hence Elop ain’t going anywhere until his job is done and Nokia is no more. Then maybe, just maybe, Microsoft takes him back – it would be a though call, tho, because even Microsoft is no longer in a position where they can afford idiots who did some massive damage to their competition.

• rustyknight17 says:

I read it on twitter. As the respected part , Kumar has been blogging on tech , mobile , for several years now . Not as long , perhaps , aas Jay or Ali , but more than long enough to be respected .His blog site is nitishkumar.net and I suggest u check it out . His reviews r to the point and common sense ,not to forget done from a layman`s perspective . Great Stuff and must reading in my book !