Video:Demoing Asha S40 Full Touch UI (On Asha 308)

| December 19, 2012 | 18 Replies

DSC00925If you happened to stop by my post earlier this week about the Asha 308 unboxing; I commented that the new “full touch UI” on the higher end S40 devices bears some striking similarities to Meego and Symbian/Nokia Belle. I now take that back; S40 is like a Meego skin on Symbian on a 1Ghz processor, in other words it’s pretty damn awesome (keep in mind that all these devices are sub $100).

Instantly from the new lock screen you see the inspiration that comes from Belle FP2 (or vice versa), where you “swipe” to the side to unlock. After which you’re greeted with 3 screens (sounds familiar?) but instead of the Multitasking screen of the N9 you have a dialer screen dedicated to telephony functions.

Tags:

Category: MeeGo, Nokia, Symbian, Video

1. WhiteAdy says:

Cool! Thanks for the unboxing&demo :D Does it have an in-built file browser? And does it connect to a PC/Laptop with mass storage mode?
    Also, this may sound like a weird question but can you put a medium-sized tile in your Lumia 920 on the middle of the screen? (Where theoretically would leave a space for a small-sized tile on each side) I haven’t seen anybody doing that in videos.

2. Svenkka says:

My Asha 311 connects both in massmedia mode and using Nokia Suite. There is a built-in browser using the Xpress technology, i.e. cloud computing to minimize the kbits used. Asha 311 has also WIFI, as 309, but 308 does not. 308 has hot-swappable dual-SIM, 309 is a single-SIM device.

• Marc Aurel says:

There are also the 305 and 306, which have less memory than the 308/309 and a resistive touch screen (but multi-touch capable!). And of course even lower price.

3. BS says:

Any rumors about 5mp full touch Asha model with 1GHz processor yet?

4. Harriet says:

thanks, Ali

5. chandan says:

Will s40 full touch will survive when firefox os launched ? Better nokia shouls license firefox os to replace s40 platform ?

6. isp says:

Nokia should make Dalvik VM for Asha. That would make Asha really popular.

7. Yaonnie says:

I think Asha should be with Sailfish OS and that would be fully functional dual mobile, great hit and Nokia success. I think so, and I suppose I am not the only one who share this.