Nokia Pulse gets big update

| January 10, 2013 | 20 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 7.01.20 PM

We have posted about Nokia Pulse a fair few times here. Its one of the Beta apps Nokia has that we feared may be relegated to Beta forever, never getting an update. We knew recently a fix was coming for WP8, but it seems it was more than just a fix. In fact, the whole app has had a huge revamp. Alongside the update on Windows Phone, the HTML5 version has been pushed to be accessed by iOS and Android (although any HML5 browser should work as I have used it on my N9).

Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 7.01.04 PM

We have versions for Lumia and also for non-Nokia Windows Phones. I assume the difference with those is how navigation is handled, whether via Nokia Maps and Drive or Bing.

Here is what the Beta Labs page has to say:

Nokia Pulse

Nokia Pulse Beta is now available for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7 devices as well as all phones with an HTML5-enabled browser, such as Android and iOS devices.  For details on supported devices and OS versions, see Versions supported below.

Messaging. Now with location.

Nokia Pulse is smarter messaging. It lets you easily send private messages that are automatically tagged with your current location, so syncing up with or letting people know where you are is as easy as a few taps. You can also suggest a place to meet up, with rich information like reviews and directions contained right in the message.  So whether you’re making plans, changing plans, or on your way, a single Pulse message gets everyone on the same page.

Key features:

• Share your location and send messages to your friends and family with Windows Phone or the mobile web. Pulse automatically adds your current location to each message you send.  Suggest a place for your next gathering or simply say “I’m here,” and Pulse does the rest.
  • When you suggest a place to meet, you share rich details that everyone can access with a tap—ratings & reviews, map, directions, and more, without ever leaving the app, thanks to Nokia Maps integration.
  • Create live tiles for the Pulse app, a specific conversation, or even the Compose message screen.  The Pulse live tile notifies you of any new messages while the conversation live tile tells you of a new message for that conversation.
  •  Send your message to only the people you choose—no complicated privacy settings needed.
  •  Start entering a friend’s email address and we’ll auto-fill the email address if it’s already in your contact list.
  • Share your Pulse message to Facebook or Twitter when you want to let more friends know where you are or what you’re doing.
  • When you send a Pulse message to a friend, they can use their Facebook log-in with Pulse if they don’t already have a Nokia account.

Versions supported:

Pulse is available for use with various Windows Phone devices, including all Nokia Lumia phones and also Samsung Focus, Samsung Omnia7, HTC Pro, HTC HD7, HTC Mozart, HTC Surround, HTC Trophy, LG Optimus, LG Quantum, and Dell Venue Pro.  Additionally, Pulse is available as a mobile web app for the following HTML5-compatible devices: iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 that are running iOS v5.x or 6.x and Android versions 2.3.x (Gingerbread), 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich), and 4.1.1 (Jellybean).  It also remains available for Symbian, the Nokia N9, and web users, but the functionality has not changed for these users. You can find installation instructions for all of these phones on the “Try it” page.

Setup’s a breeze. Download Nokia Pulse, and sign-in with your Nokia account or Facebook log-in

New features in the Nokia Pulse Beta 0.10.19.0:

•    On Windows Phone 8, you can get turn-by-turn navigation to any place posted in a conversation.
•    Receive real time conversation updates while within the app.
•    Share your Pulse message to Facebook or Twitter when you want to let more friends know where you are.
•    Now you can set any photo within a conversation as a featured photo. When you pin the conversation to Start, your cover photo will appear on the Live Tile.
•    Emoticons for Windows Phone 7.
•    Removal of comments. See below for more info.

What happened to Comments?

In order to streamline and simplify the Pulse user experience, we have removed the comments functionality. Now when you respond to a message, you will respond with another message, which, unlike a comment, can contain such rich information as a photo or a place. On older web and mobile clients, you will still see a the choice to write a comment, but it will become a Pulse message behind the scene. If you don’t see the comment you just wrote, try looking to see if it now shows as a separate message in the same conversation.

This beta software is still under development, may have bugs, and is published for testing and feedback purposes. By installing it you agree to the Nokia Beta Labs Terms & Conditions http://betalabs.nokia.com/terms.

We’d love to hear your feedback so be sure to visit the “Give feedback” page with your thoughts!

Enjoy!
Nokia Pulse team

If you want to give it a go, just visit pulse.nokia.com using your computer or your phone. Its really fun when you have a large group.

Fun fact: Apparently there are around 55k active users worldwide (beta labs has 65k “trialing”). Not bad for a beta product that gets no advertising.

Source: Beta Labs

Category: Applications, Beta Labs, Nokia

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. md says:

not working properly in FF10

2. jiipee says:

What is so difficult to update the Qt version as well??? Id like to use it, html5 is darn slow, with my wife and some friends, but the Harmattan version is crap. Nokia has fully capable subcontractors, who would make that within weeks and it would cost close to nothing.

• Nrde says:

Nokias decisions stopped to make sense a long time ago.

• Alejandro Nova says:

I was reading an Aaron Seigo post in the KDE channel (for the uninitiated, KDE is a desktop environment based on Qt since Qt 1.0) and the conclusions are simple but brutally ironic.

Every system that hasn’t a major marketshare slice, read Jolla Sailfish and RIM BlackBerry 10 Cascades, is going to converge into a single application system, powered by Qt and QML. So, if you program an app for KDE Plasma, if everything goes according to plan, it will run in BB10, Sailfish, KDE Plasma (Windows/Linux/MacOS), Ubuntu (desktop and mobile), Android and iOS.

What’s the only platform left without support? Windows Phone. That is the brutally ironic part: now with formerly Nokia’s Qt 5 you will be able to write apps for EVERY PLATFORM, BUT NOKIA’S.

3. Jake says:

Why are there three different versions of this in the store? One from “Nokia corp.” with version number 0.10.24.0, one from “Nokia Corporation” with version number 0.10.19.0 and one from “NAVTEQ EUROPE B.V.” also version 0.10.19.0. Confusing! The same is the case with the Sportstracker app, two entries of that in the store…

4. Mark says:

Doesn’t work for me.

5. MoritzJT says:

While betalabs is down, I’ll share my bit of input here too. What do you think?

A bit of constructive criticism on my behalf

I agree that to properly evaluate the change of streamlining all elements, it’s a valid suggestion to not only judge by the first impression. I’ll give it a week for now. But I’ll also provide my first impression. I’ve used the new Pulse now for three days and all I can say is, it makes me think much more and waste energy on cognitive associative functions that lay dormant within me for the rest of my automated digital life. I’m lazy when it comes to virtual stuff ;-)

The thing is, with such a huge structural change to the experience, not only it will change how we use Pulse, it has also changed what we can use it for. And that’s where all the negativity comes from. Most Pulse users saw it as a tool to have simple interaction with a few ‘separate’ topics. Now you encourage us to basically open up a group per topic. While on the website that’s not too hard to maintain, on the QML clients (which are in desperate need of a few fixes) and on WP, a long list with topic groups is certainly not the way a great UX will evolve.

There’s nothing against an option to show and organize comments in a topic in the reverse order, basically looking like it does now, but still maintaining separate topics in a group. Each comment of course should have proper location and media attachment options.

What struck me most, is that the change was introduced without gaining feedback from the community first. Even an announced change for a testing phase would’ve been great!

It was that Nokia devolution feeling that I got when many things were dropped on the evolution path Nokia took with Symbian. Also with other services offered. That hurt!

If by the current changes however you grow your userbase substantially, I leave that to you!

So far so good – now I’d like to talk about a little future investment in your platform.

Pulse as a service should totally open up an API. And while that may be useful to third parties and benefitial to the service as a whole, I’d also like to ask you to publish and open up the UI code for both, the Symbian and the Harmattan client. We have capable people that will fix what is broken – give Harmattan Pulse a dark theme, give Symbian Pulse a little more fluidity.

I understand that by Nokia’s current path you’re not to invest ressources into your legacy, but please don’t hinder progress that costs you nothing but is in everyones interest. A great experience on all platforms is your ultimate goal, isn’t it?

Cheers

• Shane says:

Yeah, thanks Liron for doing zilch about trying to fix the issues with Harmattan & S^3′s native Pulse apps.
      You go out of your way to post links to the WP versions, but have never done squat about the “steaming pile” that is the native Qt version.

6. Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, good site!

7. Very instructive….look forward to coming back again.

8. nfc chip says:

I like the valuable information you provide on
    your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test once
    more here regularly. I’m quite sure I will be informed plenty of new stuff right
    right here! Best of luck for the following!

9. Hello everyone, it’s my first go to see at this web page, and post
    is truly fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting such articles.

10. Your mode of telling all in this paragraph is genuinely pleasant, every
    one be capable of without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

Also visit my webpage asus g75vw-as71

11. Matthew says:

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as
    you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account helped me a applicable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast
    provided bright transparent concept

Also visit my blog post: best laptop asus deals (Matthew)

12. Asus G75VW says:

Hey! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay.
    I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward
    to new updates.