Marko Ahtisaari (@moia) plans to step down from Nokia effective November 30th?

| September 3, 2013 | 45 Replies

marko

Marko Ahtisaari, the EVP of Design at Nokia will be stepping down following today’s announcement, according to Engadget. Marko will be moving on to entrepreneurial efforts.

He was my favourite Nokian. The presentations he gave were so unique. He had a deep love for the products, more than he was required to by job description.

Myself, the team at MNB, and our readers wish you the best in your future endeavors Marko. All the best!

Source: Engadget

Category: Nokia

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Peru Smart | Comienzan las renuncias en Nokia | September 3, 2013
  1. maratt says:

all this is sounding so sad :’(

i have to get the 1020 now, the last true Nokia Finnish masterpiece…

2. SadNokiaFan says:

He was my favorite also how could Microsoft be so silly to lose him. :(

• Janne says:

These kinds of transactions usually see immediate departures of a few executives who disagreed with it or don’t have a place in the new organization. Remember a similar high-end departure for MeeGo after the February 11th announcement.

On the lower rungs of the organization the departures and settling of the organizations will take much longer. Unfortunately I don’t think the possible Marko Ahtisaari departure will be the last one.

• twig says:

Key to management and even all board members is that profits do matter. The pressure is on the Here division to get those contracts not just come up with nice maps Microsoft could steal in 4 years. Profits and results.

3. Hary says:

Frankly speaking, we haven’t heard from Marko much since last several months.
    I personally remember the last thing I heard about him in any article/news was when he said he was working on tablet design.

But otherwise haven’t heard much about him. It also seems that he isn’t the main brain behind Nokia designs.
    The main brains are others who are not praised in public as much as Marko.

• n8thebest says:

Yes exactly. He is not the main brains behind design, he is mostly a public speaker, like Dinning was a “public figure” to explain imaging things. Dinning also was not the brains behind imaging either.

So this is not a big loss, as Stefan Pannenbecker has been the real leader of design for a while now.

• Dave says:

Dinning wasn’t the brains behind imaging? Coincidence that the device under his control (the 808) had a better camera that its “successor” (the 1020)?

• n8thebest says:

No he wasn’t. You’re fooled by the marketing and public speaking of Dinning.

Look up who the REAL BRAINS behind the 808 were. Hint: it’s not Dinning. It’s talented Nokia employees at the imaging team in Finland.

• Jose says:

That’s true, as much as I liked Damian, it’s the guys like Juha Alakarhu who had the insight and brains to develop the 41MP sensor.

4. chris wayne says:

…And this gets worse :/

5. N9 says:

Is he might to join Jolla? ;)

6. SmoledMan says:

People go on about him like he’s the equivalent of Johnny Ive, but he isn’t. In fact I think the MS Surface industrial designers have better taste and refinement.

• Harangue says:

Exactly my thoughts. Marko was/is a great public speaker, but from what he said I didn’t gather that he was a great visionaor or something. Not to say that Ive is though.

7. Damien Tonkin says:

Oh no! Marko was the best!

8. XFCE-DESKTOP says:

He should join Jolla

9. Janne says:

Well, at least Random Random will be happy now. :)

Yes, this is a sad day indeed.

10. Doug says:

Marko should move to Samsung and put the Swipe/MeeGo skin on top of Android!

11. sina88 says:

I like to look back to his presentation of the N9. Man that was exciting! I couldn’t wait to ditch my iPhone and get that N9. Despite the Trojan horses “Burning Platform” memo I got that device and till today use it with pride. It’s 2 years old and with some tweaks still ahead of iPhones and especially Windows Phone (software wise, not hardware wise…).

Marko Ahtisaari had the same excitement in his interviews when he talked about the N9 and since then I haven’t seen him like that anymore. Windows Phone goes against many principles Marko Ahtisaari believed in (modernity, user-friendly, innovation, etc…) and probably it wasn’t easy forhim to keep doing a job happily under the Elop “regime”.

I wish Marko Ahtisaari all the best – a great, sympathic guy which could have brought Nokia far!

Maybe someday you can bring your ideas to Jolla… the new Nokia :-)

12. ms.nokia says:

so sad :(

it feels wrong.

13. Anna says:

well its official nokia is no longer nokia, time to jump ship. I’m moving to sony xperia

• twig says:

Hear that Here division? Are Here maps on Sony? The new iPhones? All car makes? All watches? Where’s the contracts? I like the ring of Nokia Oil and Gas company buying small Oil and Gas companies in the U.S. getting ready for LNG exports,myself. Take a look at SD. Stay away from devices, let the new direction drive the profits on its own. Finland deserves a profit desiring Nokia by now, party is over. Many thanks to Nokia Solutions division, their leadership and drive for excellence and profits.

14. stylinred says:

Seems like Nokia has lost a lot of their great talents…those who made Nokia… Great and now Nokia isn’t even Nokia anymore with MSFTs ownership and most of the talent gone

15. Erick says:

Coming to think about it: Didn’t Nokia kill itself??

16. Oswald says:

Nokia should buy Jolla

17. Nathan says:

Woops wrong email addy, sub.