Apple announces New iPhone 4 – Not much for Nokia to worry about?

| June 7, 2010 | 26 Replies

Nokia’s strongest competitor has officially announced a new iteration of their handset, the iPhone4. What does Nokia have to compete with on the hardware front?

Safe to say, if you like mobile photography, iPhone is still no match for Nokia. There are some nice things like the improved screen resolution with iPhone.

• Same design as the lost/leaked/stolen iPhones. No more curvy backs.
  • Finally has Flash. Single LED kind, not Adobe.
  • Finally has a front camera
  • Finally increases pixel resolution (960×640) – Must admit, on paper pictures should look gorgeous.
  • Same 3.5″ Display, with IPS screen.
  • 9.3mm – pretty good going there.
  • A4 Chip
  • A gyroscope……for gaming. (think sixaxis)
  • 5MP camera. Welcome to 2007. But does have good old tap to focus. (Hmmp, I want that, Nokia. Ms Jen’s been bugging you about this for a while now)
  • HD video. 720p 30 FPS supposedly. That’s not bad if it can achieve that. Having said that, it’s not clear cut as some will argue for 24FPS against 30FPS, with 24FPS being more “film like” whatever that means (personally I’d go for latter)
  • In line video editing – though we’ve had it in the likes of 7610, Nokia hasn’t pursued it that far. There is supposed to be a video editor in N8.

Whilst Nokia could still trounce iPhone 4 in many aspects, iPhone’s greatest strength is of course on software side. Something Nokia are still to prove themselves on with the media.

I’ve ranted about this before but just to reiterate, Dear Nokia. What Steve and Apple do best is explain why features are great, why they’re useful to you. Regardless if it’s mundane, it helps general public and the press vomit it verbatim. When announcing N9/MeeGo phone, please take note. Don’t just dispense of it quickly and ignore it. Don’t just rattle off features. Take time with it, tell people why a particular feature is good, why it’s useful and how the N9/MeeGo Phone does this well.

Via engadget

Tags: , , , ,

Category: aPPLE, Nokia

1. Andre says:

I agree wholeheartedly. Very little on this new iphone is what one would call ground-breaking or mind-blowing, yet still they will manage to convince the masses as to how their phone is better in spite of havin similar features to phones many years older.
    If Nokia had a yearly event like this where they actually went up and SOLD their devices to the masses much like Steve Jobs is doing, they would undoubtedly notice the change in public perception of their devices, services and company.

2. Andre says:

3. Niraj says:

Hmmm I agree with you Jay. Still the video call on Iphone 4 is joke. You can only make video calls on wifi network and only iphone4 to iphone4.
    I wonder why Nokia dont do such a presentation like Steve Jobs does to make iphone best among the people ( but every body know he is just brainwashing of peoples). N8 is a great phone and if Nokia will also due such a presentation then it will be more great among the peoples.

4. Niraj says:

• Chocobo says:

i agree! apple has been making a lot of video presentation of what their devices are capable of. and i have to admit, the videos are nice! it gave you a glance of how to use it, what advantages among similiar devices, etc. nokia n8′s video presentations are good, but they should see how apple make it way better. :)

• because we are not dumb…Apple can’t brainwash all and that’s the advantage that Nokia and others should develop.

I hope OPK will highlight and say “we have video calls long time ago(when iphone was not yet here on earth) and all Nokia devices with front facing camera can support it either by wifi or network operator”..simple as that.

5. Andre says:

Just did some back of the napkin calculations….. the pixels in the iphone’s camera are roughly the same size as the ones on the N8 in spite of the massive difference in sensor size between the two.
    The iphone 4 has what appears to be a 1/3.2 sensor and the N8 as we know has a 1/1.8
    shocking I know.

6. Andre says:

shocking I know.

7. kaiwangailan says:

apple iphone is so much better than nokia.don’t believe nokia. nokia is useless and slow

8. kaiwangailan says:

9. Jacob says:

Well Nokia need to worry because what apple sales is the OS not the hardware, everyone know when you buy an macbook you buy the software and design and not the hardware but that`s what makes them so unique and don`t get me wrong I have a nokia N97 mini and the design is just great except the software is so bad and really unprofessional in my eye`s why they are still throwing updates out and still a lot of people have problems with there phones so you could blame it on the users for being such wining kids but lets be honest you don`t hear a lot of people winning about Android or iOS3 why they have there S*HIT good together how they don`t throw a phone out in the wild when its not really finished and then try to fix it buy not working update`s. And an other thing Nokia is not going to release Symbian 3 for the older phones like the n97 why ? while they know right know n97 could be a great phone just because of the system, look at HTC they released the android 2.1 for the HTC Hero and nokia is not even willing to listen to the customers. Al I am saying is Nokia Phones could be such a success if they just stop being greedy in a bad way, Apple and HTC and others are greedy 2 BUT in a good way.

• Jay Montano says:

I hear your pain with N97 mini Jacob. It is a shame Symbian^3 probably won’t be available on N97/Mini. Not good. This is why the N97/Mini should have had much more processing power/RAM than what was necessary of S^1 to ensure longevity of the device. But even with S^1 the hardware of N97s struggled.

In the point of HARDWARE V Software, recently at openmobile summit, one of the points they made was that most profit is still made from hardware. But I do get the point your making. People are now becoming more aware of operating systems, becoming picky to which one suits their needs and unfortunately right now, they don’t seem to be Nokia ones.

• Jacob says:

Great some one that understands what I am trying to say, as you said N97 struggled with the S^1 but why is it if you hack it you can make it faster I mean the guys at nokia must be able to do it if the public can do it otherwise they really should think about hiring people form the public to get it done for them, but after all what you are saying Jay is right, I my self think they should drop down symbian and go with android or make S^3 better then android because iOS4 wont be really great why! its not open source.

• Jay Montano says:

You can overclock, although that is detrimental to battery life (and other factors).

s^3 might not be strong enough to pull customers on the basis of the OS alone (hence why it’s paired up with great hardware at “low-ish” price.

S^4 may better solve OS issue for Symbian, and S^3 handsets may be more capable of upgrading to S^4 (given that they must have compatible Qt Apps).

The future of High End in the OS department for Nokia lies with MeeGo, the child of Intel and Nokia.

Both Nokia OS Open Source.

• Jacob says:

Well lets hope they don`t mess it up and think about it really good cause they can make great money if they get the OS to level needed right now (and the future) and when they do then I am sure the could conquer the market, but until then I am switching to the Android cause right it really looks promising and with the android 2.2 coming out soon having flash 10 support they definitely got me sold for now!

10. Jacob says:

• Jay Montano says:

11. José Xavier says:

Nothing to worry about but the screen resoltuion!

• jb8967 says:

The iPhone 4 screen resolution is mind over matter. Frankly, the one big benefit of the previous iPhones was their visibility under direct sunlight. The iPhone 4 looses this point of differentiation. The N8 brings the largest photo sensor ever, Xenon Flash, a WIDE angle Carl Zeiss lens system, great video editing as a native app, the fastest GPU on the market, RAM Paging for the BEST multitasking experience, the ONLY Pentaband 3G (for US ATT to T-mobile switchers), a chassis made from a single piece of machined Aluminum and USB on-the-go. Sorry Steve, I do like your iPhone 4 BUT I LOVE the N8. Wow.

12. GordonH says:

Apple puts great effort on details and eye candy onto every Iphone screen. Their presentations, screenshots etc are given great importance.
    Apple seriously designs about what users should feel/experience when going thru each and every screen of the phone. Iphones are made to lure in the masses.
    Whatever …. but it’s not for me ;-)

13. Ramelec says:

No more Nokia smartphone for men for the bad experience of N97. I am as well as all my friends are jumping into iPhone and Android

14. snowy says:

I don’t know about switching to android guys. Ill be switching back to symbian from the nexus one to n8……most likely.

15. Rudeboi says:

Both Android and Apple is hot garbage and soon as this new phone is release about a month away there will be problems just as before with the Iphone 3gs. I stay with a company that has proven success in this industry of mobile products even though they slip by not adapting the Ovi Store in time when the Apple App Store jump off. As soon as they start coming out with the Meego device you same bandwagoners will be back to bashing Apple and Android and all for Nokia. As far as I’m concern Nokia is constantly leading the pack in creativity but should do better with software and a little with the hardware for the average consumer. But this is America and most Americans love Apple crap

16. Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed! Very useful info specially the remaining section :) I handle such information much. I used to be looking for this particular information for a long time. Thank you and good luck.