Video: Apple Uses Nokia N97 mini (+more) to deflect antenna gate issue – the cheek of it! Can't make N97 mini lose signal completely like iPhone 4 though (both AT&T but N97 mini on FULL signal, iPhone at 60%)

| July 21, 2010 | Reply

The official Apple page on youtube has been uploading some videos of competing smartphones to demonstrates what they consider to be similar antenna problems as their own iPhone 4 which when touched decides to kill your signal.

When signal strength is reduced sufficiently on the iPhone 4, it eventually CUTS your call. Looking at the N97 mini, it doesn’t lose signal completely.

It’s interesting that with the N97 mini, they waited AGES for the signal to go down (and I wouldn’t be surprised if they placed some Faraday cage above to reduce the signal.

Look in comparison to their own video. As soon as almost all signal is lost, they quickly remove their hand to let it recover.

What’s also interesting is that whilst the iPhone 4 gets 60% 3G reception with AT&T, the N97 mini gets 100%.

Of course Jobs would blame this on their antenna signal algorithms.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b-aoZNv-q0]

When doing video tests such as these and on your own channel, do some frikkin fair testing. It’s 3rd grade stuff to keep as many parameters equal for fair testing. Though fair isn’t really what Apple does in terms of perception and their magical distortion field

Number of bars in inconsistent. Some have 7, 6, 5 4.

Also only the iPhone isn’t at FULL signal. Hence why it’s the only one that “only” drops 2 bars as it’s the ONLY one with the shitty signal. Every other smartphone was on FULL signal. But of course this would be spun positively as iPhone 4 dropping the least number of bars.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anbD8HCRKGA]

Another thing to point out is that every other manufacturer has several handsets. Most antennas are awesome with some much better than others. N900 for instance is a tank of a signal beast.

You might want to check out though – How To: Hold your Nokia N900 and make it drop calls

Many man hours of testing is shared between the companies portfolio of handsets.

Apple has ONE phone which they still messed up (that’s what you get for “innovating” because you don’t want to pay Nokia royalties like the rest).

Here’s another N97 Mini via yhdkss

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVLubA6AMmo]

Bumpers, duct tape, to Fix the super awesome innovative external antenna (which some report still doesn’t fix anything). Oy.

At least we won’t have to be using one of these any time soon

I have never had a dropped call due to reception issues on My Nokia phones apart from…wait for it…when I went under the River Severn under a tunnel in a train. Even then it was quite a while into entering the tunnel that I lost signal.

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Nokia, Nseries, Rant, Video

1. Andre says:

Saw this crud earlier as well, not only is it misrepresentation and unfair, I’d be willing to say that the conditions for both phones were not the same when that video was taken.
    And for all those that will come here and say that I don’t know what I’m talking about, I’m using a 5800 NAM on AT&T, been doing so since early 2009 and I’ve yet to sustain a dropped call during regular use. I’ve put my phone under my pillow and slept on top of it while still being able to receive calls. My aunt, who shares the same family plan and network as me has been known to drop a call 5 times over the course of a 30 minute conversation. She owns an iPhone.

• Jay Montano says:

• Roger Johnson says:

NONE of this video is surprising. We all the know the truths:

* Apple are AMATEURS at making mobile phones. They really are. Just because they had a temporarily good interface design and a pretty case, people think they’re the best thing since sliced bread.

* N97 and N97 mini were, apart from a few specific problems, up to Nokia’s usual high standard of engineering. Yes, seriously.

* Nokia have had decades of experience. Apple have a very few years at best with a vastly smaller team with vastly less experience. And people want to buy a phone from them!?

* Those cheapo do-it-all Asian handset factories pumping out over priced Android phones, combined with Google’s complete lack of experience in mobile until very recently means most Androids are a joke too – both in hardware and software quality. But if you like “pretty things” then sure, go for it.

2. thejan2009 says:

I think the guys hand on N97 Mini was turnin purple, that really was a death grip

• Andre says:

Nokia are gonna have a fit.

• Jay Montano says:

I can’t believe the cheek of it. I thought they might weasel away after Job’s magnificent deception show on Friday, but they’re just adding to the fire.

Maybe just to give iPhone 4 more exposure. He can turn any shit storm into the discovery of the cure for AIDS and every type of cancer.

• Andre says:

they’ve blown this well out of proportion now. I honestly feel like they’re misrepresenting their results as well which can lead to a sizable lawsuit

3. nordcore says:

and where is the Death Grip™© ?

4. llaadd says:

well 2 bar’s of 3.5G on the N97 is still a hell of a lot btter then 0 bars on the iPhone!

Nokia said they put antenna’s in the several places in their devices, to prevent droped calls, where did they say that this would mean they will still get perfect reception everywhere, and what it also means is that if you hold it a certain way, there are still antenna’s in the device which will let you carry on using the device as normal.

ow and btw…well done Apple on picking the Device that Nokia addmited they dropped the ball on (I know that was more the oriignal N97 but you get my point)

• Jay Montano says:

Yup, and they waited positively ages to try and kill the signal on the N97 mini.
      With iPhone, just as they were about to go 0 like all the other videos online, the grip is released.

But none of this matters in reality that a phone that doesn’t make phone calls properly because you have deh apps.

5. JFH says:

Apple just made a very bad mistake. All of the competition have now a single point of focus. Apple’s profits are disguising the fact that they are losing market share, whilst Nokia is growing. Proof:

Done deal. Now go fight Android Nokia.

6. N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

n97 mini no issue????

see this…(are in italian but look at the signal bar when he holds it)

and these are not single case….
    NOKIA ASSISTANCE CAN’T RESOLVE THIS ISSUE!

• Jay Montano says:

At the first one:

Wow, look how much of the N97 mini he has to cover up. I can’t even make a phone call if I were to hold a phone in such a ridiculous way.

With the second one, you can’t really tell how the person’s holding it. Especially when they zoomed in.

7. N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

here we know it as famous “effetto mano” (hand effect) and about 80% of n97 mini are affected!! stay allert not only apple has antenna issue….

• Jay Montano says:

How many user reports since Sept 2007 about N97 mini antenna?

And a Nokia not at full signal (4 bars to begin with), how many bars would iPhone show there in the same instance. Would it even have signal bars?

8. N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

n97mini (and somes E series..) are terribly affected by this antenna issue, jay im not an apple fan but in this case apple says the true!

• Roger Johnson says:

> im not an apple fan

Maybe not, but you keep coming up with fantasy about Nokia phones :) Perhaps you’re paid by Google instead then? ;-)

9. Nick says:

Apple are just embarrassing themselves further.

I hope that class action lawsuit has as much success as possible.

10. Jay Montano says:

N#O#R#U#L#E#S :

E71 was noted by some to have reception issues, isn’t this fixed now? E71 users reporting this is no longer an issue.
    N97 mini – is the case so severe as to drop calls?
    People still seem to be making calls no problem.

As to how this will benefit the reception of iPhone 4 customers’ handsets, I don’t know.

I love Engadget’s (aka lovefruitupmyass.com) take on it. Any time there’s a negative piece on Nokia, BAM, here they are.

And again, on another point HOW many Nokia (and other manufacturer) handsets are there. Apple had ONE to keep their eye on and STILL messed up.

Signal bars may fall on other handsets (with some Nokia’s requiring stupider grips than others, ie. double hand completely clasped and covered) but not as awful as iPhone 4 with external antenna design. This wasn’t an issue with 3GS, so no fuss was made about that.
    A single finger touch is enough to bring down the iPhone 4, and almost any normal (NOT GRIPPING) hold. Nokias, as shown in your video, had to be strangled to bring to 1 bar.

Not so much anti apple thing but evading their own problems by shoving attention on others. This video was just adding fuel to the fire.

11. N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

as well as super nokia fan you can try to give explanations but is in fact many many people have spent money(300+eur!) for a n97mini device that soffer of the “hand effect” and in some cases ,not rare, calls drop…

12. Tazzpa says:

I always thought that this issue was Apples new flightmode. Lay one finger on Iphone 4 and it’s offline :).

13. zeko says:

for the iphone 4 to lose signal, all u have to do is just touch a single spot, in a very usually touched place.. and u WILL lose signal!

14. Nick says:

ALSO:

Notice how the N97 mini is about to run out of battery.

eyePhone on full charge.

DESPICABLE! x_x

15. N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

other nokia antenna issue cases:

try to explain me now….!

• zeko says:

look at what i wrote above:
      “when u try to hide an antenna , u WILL lose reception bars, no matter what device u r using. BUT nokia puts the antennas in places that u wouldnt totally hide in a normal use. if u want to lose more bars in an UNNATURAL way, u can just rip off the antenna of the back and thats it… no bars!
      thats why i never had this problem on my N97/E72/N85/n95… nokia puts the antennas away from the user! they dont put them in “the most likely to touch part ” of the phone like apple!”

• NeNoRmAl says:

Man, stop with this bullshit!
      I just tried this grip with my 5800 and when I was in dual network mode and 3.5G I managed to drop the bars to just 2, but when I came back to GSM only mode, the bars did not drop at all!
      Nokia phones don’t have reception problems that can cause the phone to drop calls!

Understand?

• N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

OK STOP JUST I THINK THAT PEOPLE NOW KNOWS ABOUT THE TRUE, NOT ONLY APPLE HAS ANTENNA ISSUE BUT NOKIA SOME MODEL TOO!!!!

• Roger Johnson says:

NORU you talk nothing but bullshit, no one’s listening to you. Please shut up unless you have something you can back up with facts and truth. You don’t seem to have a clue what you’re talking about.

• N#O#R#U#L#E#S says:

see worldwide forums..many users confirm that N97MINI has antenna issue the classic “hand effect” and signal goes down..if you don’t belive try yourself!

16. Adnan says:

I’ve been using nokia phones for five years and have never experienced the issue. After reading above post, i tried the same on my phone. I held it in every possible way and even so strongly that my phone couldve been broken. But still i didnt even see a single bar dropping. And i’ve been trying to lose signal for a week. Trying various techniques but sadly couldnt.

17. GordonH says:

The N97 mini actually looked sexier, when presented by the marketing guru(Apple). The VDO demonstration had excellent lighting, great background, depth and focus of the product was superb. Nokia should take hints when presenting their phones.

18. Dean says:

The thing that many people seem to miss in this whole thing is that Nokia (and others) didn’t say that it’s phones don’t lose signal when held, but that they design their phones to be able to be held normally without losing signal. Sure, as we see from the video, you can hold nearly any phone a certain way to make it lose signal. The difference with the iPhone situation is that when the design affects signal when held normally. The whole “Death Grip” is an industry wide problem, but the iPhone doesn’t need a “Death Grip” to lose signal.

19. N900 is the best says:

i’ve tried so freaking hard, but there is -NO-, really -NO-, way to lose at least ONE SINGLE bar with my bare hands. it’s just impossible, i’ve tried everything! :D

20. John Wiegand-forson says:

I have tried so hard to replicate the issue on my e72 and i can’t anyway Apple are making fools of themselfs at this rate JUST FIX IT WILL YOU APPLE !!!!! BTW I bet these test Apple did are rigged

21. Ali Abdulla says:

fail, look where is his thumbs at, i dare him to press “options” without changing his grip… just ..fail..

you’ll have better luck shocking a chicken like that, then dropping the signal to zero :P

also, none of the mobs they previewed has dropped to zero bars, yet another fail..

22. chfyfx says:

Pathetic… If Apple wants to point fingers, pleae show me how N97 drops calls with the touch of one finger.

It is also pathetic for people that buy this. Apple product is so superior and so cool…

Now, do you all get why cellphones use internal antenna? And by the way, it is invented by Nokia! Cheers.