HD Video and Gallery: Nokia E7 Clear Black Display Outdoor sunglight visibility test. It's bloody good that's what!

| September 16, 2010 | Reply

The major fear of AMOLED screens is their inability to be visible in sunlight. LCD screens can suffer similar fates too. My Samsung Camera for instance has a vampiric screen and dies when outdoors (hence these outdoor shots not being that good). But you can see that in very bright sunlight, the 4″ CBD  (CLEAR BLACK DISPLAY) screen of the Nokia E7 copes amazingly well. What’s more, you cannot really appreciate how great the E7 CBD screen looks through this camera and your computer screen. Truly blacker blacks, much more vibrant colours. You really have to see it in person. In a later post, I will show you indoor comparisons with the N900 and the difference is night and day.

People have ridiculed Nokia for not putting the latest screen technology on their phones and bigging up the “plain” AMOLED on the N8 (which, btw has decent sunlight visibility – not sure if there are similar polarizing filers ala C7). Now, with CBD on the E7 and budget C6-01 Nokia have something which is arguably comparable if not better than Super AMOLED.

Now in the video below, we bring the E7 outdoors in the morning sun to face mr Sun. The N900′s LCD TFT display is actually quite ok in the sun. The backlight sort of washes away till you have just a plain monochrome looking LCD display. The E7, there’s very little change – you can still see the rich colours outdoors. The only thing that would prevent visibility is the slight reflection on the screen.

As with AMOLED, the viewing angle is fantastic. The only thing that really stops readability are some slight reflections from the display, but they’re minimal (though surprisingly exaggerated by these pictures/videos)

In terms of resolution, the nHD isn’t that detectable, and looking surprisingly sharp given the big 4″ stretch. In a future post, you will see that the CBD screen looks like it’s printed glossy paper

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5cNByXGVs]

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Eseries, Nokia

1. Hary says:

But the video seems to be taken on a cloudy date, with very less direct sunlight. Not a true gruelling test according to me. The real test would be when sun is out and no clouds.
    Anything like that up your sleeves?

2. Georg says:

Doesn’t the N8 have the same screen technology? Nokia Italy seems to think so.

• i read it…nokia italia probably mean only amoled as same technology not cbd…
      in fact i emailed litchfield that reply me N8 has not CBD technology sorry

• Mazze says:

I wish so but I don’t believe it. Otherwise I would drive to Italy to pick up my phone over there ;-)

I have had the chance to play around with the N8 and have to say that the display quality is fantastic (though probably by far not as good as the E7). Then again, I could only test it indoors so not sure how it performs under direct sunlight.

I love the phone! It feels of such good quality when you hold it in your hands it just doesn’t come across on the videos. The only thing that really annoyed me was the slow responsiveness of the screen. Not sure whether they were running the latest firmware but texting on this phone is no fun at all. While I love the T9 support when you hold the phone vertically it’s just not quick enough to type an SMS in a reasonable amount of time. In other areas (like the music player cover flow) responsiveness is superb though! I’m really hoping this is not a hardware/screen issue but can be fixed with a new firmware update. The second thing that’s still lagging behind is the browser, which is also not intuitive at all. IMO Nokia should postpone the release by a month and deliver the phone with the new QT browser as all the reviews will be based on the first official firmware release and when someone benchmarks the performance against Android or the iPhone it’ll look really poor.

Apart from that the phone definitely has the potential to make your heart beat faster when you hold it in your hands for the first time. It feels so solid and well-built and the specs speak for themselves. And yes, you really don’t need a faster processor or more RAM. Symbian doesn’t need a lot of hardware-resources and you can easily open 20 apps (who needs that anyway?!?) without suffering from any speed cuts. The only thing that will suffer though is your battery. I like Symbian and I think Nokia have done a great job styling it up though some smooth 3D transitions would be highly appreciated. If you look at the layout of the widgets on the home screen I think that’s just perfect! They also orientate in landscape mode and they come in really handy (e.g. play, pause forward tracks on the home screen instead of opening up the music player is sooo conveninent / compare that to the iPhone!).

To sum it up, I can’t wait to use this phone every day but I would rather wait another month and get an absolutely flawless / speedy version.

3. Jay Montano says:

Hary :

Anything like that up your sleeves?

The photo of the clouds was when I was leaving the building. But the photos are when the sun came out through the clouds and was really bright.

It’s hard to tell via pictures and videos but this really is a spectacular screen from Nokia. And yes, as charles said, we were actually lucky that it was sunny during this shoot.

4. Stylinred says:

so the N8 DOESN’T have a CBD?!!! -_- ohhhh that’s like sticking a hot poker in your eye when you hear that the top of the line phone doesn’t have the same tech -_- as its, arguably, lesser rated family of phones

5. gruik says:

according to symbian france, all N8 will have CBD.

• alex68 says:

If this CBD is software wise artificial things, I don\t see the reason why N8-00 can not have it. And according to my personal experience with N8-00, there is something there definitely!

6. Dennis says:

Don’t you think that Nokia would mention that(CBD) is also on the N8. Too bad for the buyers(me included). Don’t want to wait another 3 months for the E7 or who knows how long for the meego phone. Also, great article on engadget about how Nokia is more concerned about hardware than software. Who knows how true it is.

7. Unlike most commenters speculating above, I have an N8 and have compared it side by side in strong sunlight with a galaxy S. It’s easily the equal of super AMOLED if not better. I can’t wait to try a CBD device outside…