It’s not in English (but Cantonese) but you can still appreciate what’s going on in MeeGo. Note this is the basic Vanilla colour scheme of Vanilla MeeGo which will look different to Nokia’s MeeGo Handset (Harmattan)
- 01:43 – Dialler/call page (actions like loudspeaker/hold/mute don’t seem to have icons yet. I’d love to see Symbian’s contact search on MeeGo whereby you just type numbers on the dialler and either a number from your phone book comes up (based on the typed name) or you can go ahead and call a new number.
- 02:53 – The tabbed interface makes it easy to switch to recent calls/phone book/favourites (or whatever that star is). I HOPE MeeGo accepts swipe gestures and NOT just button pressing of those tabs.
- 03:15 – App icons are fewer this time and the design has changed again.
- – Apps are oddly taking much longer to open.
- 03:30- Short look at SMS/Calendar
- 04:40 – Video Gallery. I like the alphabet at the top to make it easy to just slide on over to whatever the video name is without having to type-search it.
- 05:40 – Photoviewer (taking longer than usual to generate thumbnails). I like the connected thumbnails as opposed to having gaps.
- 06:46 – Music player – interesting interface – the music buttons are always visible even if you’re searching music. I like that. Album art (if any) and album track listing appears at selection. It would be nice to have some clickable breadcrumbs/tabs to go back at certain points without having to press back again and again. Or just persistent tabs in general. Artist/Album/Song
- 07:12 Multitasker – Big Symbian^3 esque windows/cards. But Maemo Esque in that these are LIVE active windows. Not static images (or worse, a shitty icon). Note that you have notification at the top of the location of your window (with dots/hollow dots). Bottom navigation bar still visible. I like that. Note that if multitouch were possible you could pinch and have the grid view.
- 07:34 – Multitasker in portrait. Check out that live music player window and how it’s still moving. (Even the photo viewer tries to regenerate thumbnails – though why is another issue) I really love that aspect in Maemo 5. It feels like you’re truly multitasking and it’s also very practical in that you know exactly what’s happening in that window/what you’re multitasking.
- 07:47 – cleaner rotate from portrait to landscape. We’ve seen it performed faster before. I much prefer having a rotate animation than a subtle “bang” im another orientation. We would expect iPad like rotation in that as soon as you move a little it turns. No more wait after a second or even half a second. Especially for 2011 when this is announced/released.
- 08:25 – Web Browser. N900 – vanguard of desktop class browsing on a mobile phone. There’s firefox mobile. I hope it gets pinch and zoom by release. (or failing that, give us MicroB)
- 11:20 – Xterminal – for the Linux Pros amongst you.
- 11:45 – People / Contacts app.
- 12:50 – Chat – facebook chat, google talk etc.
- 13:25 – Settings – That’s the right most button on the navigation bar. Pretty empty at the moment.
- 14:15 – Battery indicator view says how many minutes in addition to the visual indicator. (Like old internet tablets 770/N800)