My Dream Nokia #3: Nokia N9-01 MeeGo Phone concept 12MP, CBD 4.1" 1280x720x32, 64gb, Dual Core 1GHz

| November 12, 2010 | 23 Replies

My Dream Nokia #3 – response to the “My Dream Nokia” idea from Alberto:

Thomas Boutroue sends in his Dream Nokia – the Nokia N9-01

“My dream’s nokia may be the N9-01 : a N900 in better (better hardware, alu casing, bigger screen, and MeeGo”

His dream specs are on the side but just to reiterate:

• MeeGo 1.2
  • Dual Core 1GHz
  • 1GB RAM
  • 64GB Internal
  • Micro-SD Reader
  • Physical Keyboard
  • Spaced Keys
  • Sensitive Pad
  • No keys on the front
  • Hard keys for +/0 and camera
  • Face Cam 5MP
  • Rear Cam 12MP
  • Camera Lens Cover (Very, very important feature now realising what I’ve missed. So easy to wash out photos, especially with bright flash when there’s a smudge on the camera glass)
  • 4 LED Flash (ooh quadflash again? No one seems to be a fan of the Xenon. Then again, I do miss that spontaneous LED torch. But Not so much as blurry people pics :p)
  • Aluminium casing (Early N9 leak has that single aluminium macbook pro look)
  • CBD 4.1″ 1280X720X32 (Where’s the 32? I’ve always envisioned that the surrounding side border around the phone could form some touch input – no actual buttons needed. Or that around the screen are a few SEPARATE pixels that would truly make it borderless but still be functional in certain situations where you might need that border.)
  • LED Notification on the front (OH Real N9, you must have this like the N900. It’s unbelievably useful)
  • Resistive but multitouch (uh oh – controversial. Die Hard N900 fans would agree. Well this is Thomas’ own Dream Nokia)
  • Very Strong Front Surface
  • Dolby Surround. Jack 3.5 Audio Out
  • Wireless HDMI
  • Micro USB + HOST + OTG
  • 4000 mAh battery (AMEN! But I doubt we’ll ever get more than 1500mAh for any Nokia Phone given current size constraints from Nok)
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • WiFi N
  • LTE Support
  • 6.5×12.0×1.0cm

The good thing is, a lot of these specs (bar a few such as battery capacity) are actually physically possible right now.

Very early Nokia MeeGo UI worth posting. Even if it doesn’t improve from this I’d be impressed.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywHgqPQNonc]

About “My Dream Nokia”

I’m sure you’ve dreamt up your PERFECT Nokia phone. What it would look like, what it would feel like, what features it would have. Why don’t you share it with the world? Or at least with other Nokia fans :D .

It could be your own photoshopped or rendered work (seriously, you don’t need mega skills in either, basic paint job is often enough to convey a concept) of your dream product.

SEND this in similarly to tips@mynokiablog.com with the title “My Dream Nokia” and perhaps the model number (and a little description, maybe a few specs in the message area? Though this bit not necessary).

Who knows, maybe an image might flutter over to Nokia and through whatever route end up being real.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: Concept, Dream Nokia, MeeGo, Nokia

Sites That Link to this Post

1. What is the bombest weed you have smoked? – | Health 100 Question | | November 12, 2010
  1. Keith says:

This might come true…..in 2014
    Coz some of the things are just impossible for now (like you pointed out the battery)

Also, gorilla glass with resistive screens? Resistive screens are made of plastic, not glass :)

Although I’d love it if this phone became real some day :D

2. Sam says:

I think the X32 means 32bit colour

3. ghg says:

nokia just need to improve n8 hardware spec like 4″ cbd amoled dispaly in the same phone size, some complaints about the hdmi cover design and material used( no shiny surface please!)

wvga screen resolution please!
    Move that speaker to the bottom end please! Maybe add one more loud speaker to make it stereo loudspeakers

Then it is perfect!

• Andre says:

It’s highly unlikely that we’ll see WVGA screens.
      From the little we’ve seen, Nokia seems likely to stick to 16:9 panels for their devices.

Guess what though, 2x 640*360 looks a lot like 720p :)

4. TheBootrooo says:

Hello !

I’m glad to see my mockup this soon on your website !

In effect, like said by Sam, the x32 means 32bit depth color.

By very strong front surface I don’t meant Gorilla but just a sort of plastic unscratchable, just like Brando’s screen protectors (yes if they can do it with protectors, why don’t they integrate them directly on the screen ?)

No i’m not a big fan of Xenon, especially in thaht we can’t stay longer with flash on without burning it, but after reading some users comments I think I could have put just Two leds and a xenon under them.

I NEED resistive because its more precise, and allows usage of the pencil, very useful sometimes (handwriting, drawing …), and support pressure control…

And YES, I own a N900, even if it is back to Nokia Care because of the USB port desoldering. It would be be today or tomorow.

My mockup is greatly inspired by the actual N900, the early leak of the N9 (be carefull, not the E7 leak, huh), and the Nokia U contest (the second winner), principaly for the aspect of the lens cover and the holes on the top and bottom sides (knowing that the device is a slide, the sides are in two parts, so on the top, the big part is the left stereo speaker, the little my be the phone call speaker and then i could remvove the one on the face, and in the bottom the big part is the right stereo speaker, and the little hides a microphone and maybe a draggone hole). this way we can optimize this original design to put some useful things out of the front surface.

5. ghg says:

resistive multitouch is posible and already existing, it is invented and developed by stantum in paris

why not nokia makes a more larger capacity batteries for their phones, like 1920mah, …etc

love meego because the os doesnt need any physuical buttons in front to operate the phone, it is great for phone design makes room for larger screen!

I really hope the first meego phone donest have slideout qwerty

• alex68 says:

First meego phone is qwerty phone.

• Rant says:

More capacity in batteries means more weight, larger battery and inevitably a larger phone. Unless battery technology takes a leap in the next 5 years the largest capacity batteries will remain at 1200mAh in the smaller type phones.

• webby says:

My Galaxy S has a 1500mAh battery, is about the same thickness as the C7 and weighs about 120 grams. I think the iPhone is similar, so it’s very possible to have a larger battery. That’s not to say the battery life is any good on my phone because it’s not. It’s pathetic.

• dsmobile says:

well you also need to remember that S is much bigger than C7 in other dimensions so there is much more room inside for stuff. Thickness is not the measurement for that.

N9 there sure should be enough room to use 1500mAh or even 1700mAh. But well dunno how it is going to be. might be just a 1320mAh. Anyway also need to remember that qwerty keys and hinge also limits space for that type of device if want to keep it slim.

6. Steve Barker says:

I’d buy that now – even with Maemo as it stands!

Good hardware with an open OS = potential.

I’d like to see the keys spaced out a bit more – my wife’s N97Mini just has the edge on my N900′s keypad (for me, anyway).

I’d add advanced haptic feedback to the resistive touchscreen – been playing with one of the new X3-02′s and the haptics on that are beautiful – fast and responsive.

I’d also like to keep the N900′s power key – highly configurable and immensely useful.

12Mpx cameras are great but sometimes you just want something to point and shoot – so how about a fast-loading EDOF option for general snapping? (again, the little X3-02 I have has a great little 5Mpx snapper that takes good general snaps more easily than any camera I’ve tried on N900)

Using the lens cover to fire up the camera (or 4-LED torch!!!) is another essential.

Not so sure about the ally case – can look cool, but the PDair ally case on my N900 definately slows up WiFi. The design should allow the after-market tom offer silicone, crystal hard-cases and other ‘bling’ cases like iPhone to allow personalisation and protection – this creates a physical accessories eco-system to build desirability.

Now, where do I sign up for this..?

7. John says:

guys stop wanking right here… nokia will NEVER be able to produce a device like this.. and if.. it will be 3cm thick and be like 300gr .. forget it right here!!
    check the n900. what a fatt monster ..?? trashy hardware in a cornflakes package..?? you gotta be f*** kiddin!!

• alex68 says:

I am very sure that you will swallow all your words when N9 is out next year. But not sure if you will show up here anymore…

• Rudeboi says:

You need to be quite! I’ve tried just about every so called smartphone out there and is paying for it to and so far nothing competes with the N900 and Android is way overrated. I wish it was alot slimer but as a man and with these nice carrying poches they have I’m cool with it. The N900 has proven to be a true like pc in the pocket and if it was faster it would compete against netbooks and that’s a fact!

• Steve Barker says:

John,

You evidently have little understanding of N900 and have not taken note of the latest slimline Nokia devices.

If I had to explain further you wouldn’t understand…

8. ghg says:

swype for s3 is now available in ovi store!

9. Marcin says:

ST-Ericsson U8500 Linaro and MeeGo 11.30 -12.10, November 16th, 2010 MeeGo Converence Dublin:D

10. Raj says:

add Xenon falsh, SAMOLED(c – type) den its looks s*xy :P

11. MrSHiNRILLA says:

Errrm… You may have been reading my thoughts on this one. This is what i want from nokia, its absolutley wonderful. if they were to make this phone i would…. eat my hat i tell you! (if it was made from tasty chocolate)
    I would personally prefer an OLED screen at 4″ but still very, very GOOD.

12. abdul saleem khan says:

i loved this phone. i have n900 but i would like this phone to have a native video calling feature like sybiam phone use to have.

why not maemo6 . im not fan of meego.