Doubting how good the camera on the N8 is?

| December 20, 2010 | 52 Replies

Following on from Jay’s post on the N8 being used to shoot the cover of Pix magazine’s Dec-Jan issue, Steve Litchfield shared a video made by a normal user like us using the N8′s camera. My initial impression was wow, followed immediately by a feeling of being duped, then amazement when I realized that this might actually be real.

Watch in HD on Vimeo for best quality, you’d being doing yourself a disservice otherwise.

via Twitter

Tags: ,

Category: Nokia, Nseries, Video

So you've read something I've written. yay!! As you already know, my name is Andre and I'm currently a student based in Atlanta. Much like Jay, I pretty much blog here in my free time. Follow me on twitter @andre1989 or contact me directly at Andre(at)mynokiablog(dot)com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

1. Rant says:

Hmm, at 1:08 you can see the filmers shadow. Perhaps someone with better eyesight than me can determine of it is an N8 or something else. Because my reaction is also: WOW and duped. At least he was using something like that steering wheel contraption or similar to keep a steady image.

2. Smith says:

They used a steadicam for this, which is fine and not cheating. All other cameras out there, even the professional high end ones, require steadicams for this kind of shot.

I just wish there was a cheaper, handheld version of the steadicam available for us ordinary folk…

3. Jack says:

Very possibly an N8. The lensflares when looking into the sun look very much like those on my N8.

• VV says:

The lensflare also reminded me of the N8.It’s amazing how technology has progressed.And how fantastic a camera the N8 is.Even if this is filmed with something else just the fact that it looks like filmed with the Nokia is impressive in itself.

4. VV says:

Steve Litchfield says that the company that filmed the video above did indeed use the N8. Impressive.

5. Stylinred says:

I’ve got a question/concern with my N8 that hopefully you guys can alleviate or spur :)
    So some of you may have noticed/remember i had a slight gripe about my battery life well its still there and i noticed this one issue that got me thinking “hmm maybe something’s wrong with MY battery?”

So i had 50% battery power last night, before bed, I had No applications running (no widgets either) and I left the phone on with just the black screen clock running

Not 3hours later when I awoke (or half awoke :D) I wanted to check the time and noticed that my battery had already died!

Does that seem normal to you? It doesn’t to me and I’m concerned maybe i have a shoddy battery.

Please let me know your opinions

• Andre says:

Thats NOT normal….. power cycle it and re-run a similar test…. If its still bad then contact Nokia

• alex68 says:

Check if you have wifi and/or GPS on. If all these are precluded, I would bring it to a Nokia care center to have it checked if I were you.

BTW, can you check the date your N8 was produced? It was printed in the paper pack. If it is from the first batch production, it might be a quality issue that recognized by Nokia earlier.

• Keith says:

Actually, I have the same problem sometimes. Like a few days ago, I had 5 points on my N8 battery and after 7 hours of sleep, I woke up to find it on 1 bar. I didn’t have any applications open and didn’t even have the clock running on the screen. And also, I had it in power saving mode. I did have WiFi on but that’s normal, it shouldn’t take up so much battery…..
      But that only happened a couple times so I don’t know what the problem is

• alex68 says:

First of all, the 5 point batter indicator may not be real. Hmmm, Nokia battery indicator is not linear so not reliable at all…

If you have WIFI on, it may consume considerably big batter life. Try to observe your batter usage without anything consuming batter life running on and find the reliable battery life data.

• Don says:

“Nokia battery indicator is not linear so not reliable at all…”

To be fair, no battery indicator is linear. The people who design them will say it’s not their preferred choice, but consumers are stupid and bloggers even more so, and a lying phone claiming full bars will get better reviews dying 1 hour later than a phone displaying the true half bars and dying 7 hours later.

Install the Situations app and switch to battery saving mode between 11pm-7am by automatically. I find the battery life more impressive all the time to be honest. Several days with light use. Even using welness diary as a step counter 24-7 does not measurable affect battery life.

• alex68 says:

Hi, What I meant the battery indicator is not so reliable is when it shows full 5 points, it actually may not be 5 points at all and suddenly drop to 4 points …

You have to observer this and understand the behavior that I describe here.

• alex68 says:

I remember power saving mode doesn’t affect WIFI, but affects 3G only…

• Stylinred says:

thanks for the replies guys; Im trying another test as Andre suggested

my wifi was on but nothing else so we’ll see i suppose :/

Alex i can’t find a production date on anything the phone, the box, the stickers (i’ve kept everything including the protective stickers that were on the phone)

• Ali Abdulla says:

my battery life was 1.5-2 days on average, with plenty of apps installed..

suddenly, battery life dropped to 14hours max.. i tried uninstalling/disabling new apps that i’ve installed, and nothing changed.. i started hating the phone at that point :(

so i resorted to a master reset *#7370#, reinstalled all the apps..

battery life back to normal now :), and im back in luv with this beauty :P

• Ali Abdulla says:

if ur going to, use OVI suite to backup your contacts/gallary/music… but DONT let it back up “application’s settings”

also, that reset “deletes” flash memory too, so basically, phone will be as good as new :(

• Andre says:

That’s one thing with the back-up process with any device. If the problem is due to a rogue device, it’s rather hard to figure out which one is causing the problem

• alex68 says:

Have you tried to restart the phone and see the difference? It seems some processes running in the background eat the battery. If you have a lot of 3rd party software, they may have residue processes left running even the main programs exit, which can cause to shorten the battery life as well.

• Stylinred says:

Okay so I think I may have figured out the problem. It looks like it may be the WLan Scanning/Wifi the Wlan scanning was on and set to every 5mins + i had my wifi set so that the “power saving”, of the wifi, was Disabled (it comes from Nokia Enabled)

Since i started my test all those hours ago the battery is still virtually Full. The only setting that i could see being a major battery drain that was changes is the Wlan settings

so Hurray i guess :)

6. SGean says:

Frequent lens flaring and weak left suround sound. Don’t think nokida can do much about the lens flaring part but i do hope that future firmware updates will improve the surround sound recording.

7. KlawWarYoshi says:

alex68 :

i expierenced some fast battery deads too
    but i had running battery monitor, wellness diary and and and
    would also like to check, where can i find it?
    maybe also using “*#0000#”?

8. jvardon says:

OMG, i want my N8 even more now.
    if only my parents thought along the same lines.

9. Andre says:

OMG I LOVE YOU, your posts are so insightful! Thanx dude…

10. Andre with an accent over the E says:

OMG I LOVE YOU, your posts are so insightful! Thanx dude…

11. Jay Montano says:

No way, this is from the N8?

That’s when you know it’s getting good when you can’t believe what it’s doing.

Like folks who do cover songs and get accused of just miming to the original track. So good, you don’t want to believe what your senses are showing you.

Power not only of N8, but what you do with it :p. You need to have something of potential but then you need to do something with that potential, imagination/creativity, technical skills in filming and video editing.

Great find.

and also lol @ ANDRE with an accent over the E, what’s that about?

12. pips says:

Guys, been to a mobile superstore, tons of mobiles… there was only ONE promoter there – and yeah – a NOKIA promoter which was all over the N8. NOT ONE was interested, sorry guys but the N8 is a huge Flop. NOKIA has to hire people to promote their phones, that is really sad. This guys was trying sooooo hard to sell ONE N8, and when I left the store i asked him if someone bought an N8. NOT ONE PERSON, and the store was packed with hundreds of People. YEAH lemme say it again, not ONE N8 got sold. NOKIA – hire topless chicks which give free bj’s with the N8 – maybe you gonna sell a few more phones like that!

• alex68 says:

Where are you from?

• Smith says:

> the N8 is a huge Flop

….but Nokia had to open extra factories to cope with demand

> the N8 is a huge Flop

….but it had the highest pre-orders of any device ever

> the N8 is a huge Flop

….but it’s got all it’s competitors running scared. Not just Apple, Google and the Android manufacturers, but the stand alone digital camera makers (as N8 has just made them much more pointless) and the Sat Nav makers (they were already under heavy fire from Ovi Maps but now even more so).

Yeah, that’s right the N8 is a huge flop. ;-)

13. pips says:

haha, 2 smart asses. well i still own a webos device which is almost oldschool compared to the UBER N8. But seriusly, it’s sad that nokia has to hire people to promote their phones. and the local tech news mag did a tech guide 2010, Nokia N8 was on 2nd page, and yeah it was in the “tech fail of 2010″ categ. i’m not making this up, and no i’m not a android nor ios fanboy. it’s just what alot of people are reading, it’s a tech mag which is around bus and metro stations to pick up free. sorry my dear nokia friends…. ;)

• Rant says:

Ah well, probably every brand hires people to do some sort of promotion, Nokia does it, HTC does it, Apple does it, maybe not all of them visible with brand attire but it happens.

As for you tech mag, you already say: It’s free, so in no way is that fully unbiased. It is paid for by outside companies. Maybe just a local backery that funds it because he is mentioned in it but it could also be sponsored by the local branch of MS to mention just one. Logically their judgement depends a little on that.

In now way am I defending Nokia nor the N8, but don’t judge something because of one source and this one representative that you saw. Every brand has that. Apple may even be the best about it with their own stores that are of evangelical proportions.

• jrom says:

“tech fail of 2010″… but in wich American newspaper was it ?

14. pips says:

1. well mr smith, i dont care about that really. look, from the whole it guys in my division, the girlies at the sales team and the admin people, i haven’t seen ONE N8 user. and i see alot of people during lunch etc. playing with their phones.
    2. at the LARGEST media reseller / store they are selling very weak. Why mr. smith do you think they have extra people to promote the phones. and yeah, no 1 really cares.
    3. Everyone that just has a basic clue about smartphone OS will tell you that S3 is not ranking no.1 . No company is “scared” about the n8. forget it pal..
    4. WHY OH WHY was there such a massive price drop on the n8?? HAHA i bet you know why.. NO 1 will pick this baby up for the initial price.. and it’s gonna drop more.. you will wait and then remember my words. chico..

• LadyG says:

Scarecrow: I haven’t got a brain… only straw.
      Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven’t got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don’t know… But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking… don’t they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you’re right.

15. aleza says:

i am happy that i made a right choice , now i m using this as a party digital cam and getting superb results , this is a reall cam …… no need of buying digital cameras for pictures of parties and a mobile phone ….. scratchless and really scratchless……..