Poll: IF Nokia Smartphones could have ANY but only ONE OS, which should it be?

| December 22, 2010 | 48 Replies

A frequent suggestion in blog comments relating to Nokia is to go with Android/WP7 and when it was available, to go buy Palm for WebOS. Why? Nokia has in house, Symbian and Maemo, the latter of which has become MeeGo – though the phone side has no presence on the market since there are no purpose built MeeGo phones.

Well in this transition stage where Symbian is waiting for the major UI change and MeeGo is still waiting to escape the birth canal, frustration rests upon some users and onlookers of Symbian^3 (the only real Nokia smartphone choice atm) as not having the same glitsy glamour and UI appeal of its competition. Nokia is always praised for the hardware, though last year with N900 got rapturous awe for its powerful and potential filled software – but that’s now canned for MeeGo.

Therefore, is it rightly so that Nokia should look to others as a temporary measure? Or is this not suitable for Nokia’s long term success? Does a successful phone manufacturer need it’s own operating system to survive? There’s a lot resting on the events that unfold for Nokia in 2011.

In an ideal world where anything could happen – If Nokia Smartphones could have any but only one Operating System, what would you like it to be? Lets say this OS would reach its true potential and not what it is right now. (or is this a little complicated?)

Symbian? Maemo? MeeGo? Android? Windows Phone? iOS? WebOS? Bada? BlackBerry OS?

And Why?

Poll Below:

[polldaddy poll=4285262]

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Nokia, Poll

Sites That Link to this Post

1. The OS debate! | WOMWorld/Nokia | December 22, 2010
  1. Joker says:

Meego Meego Meego!!!

2. webby says:

In a purely business sense, if Nokia had to choose one OS it would be near suicidal not to choose Symbian^3, but personally I see myself buying a MeeGo phone next up if it’s as good as I hope it is.
    Nokia couldn’t go with MeeGo alone atm for the same reason they couldn’t go with Android/WM7 alone- It would mean abandoning an utterly massive share of the market, which to be fair, just wouldn’t be a very smart thing to do.

3. Gregory says:

Totally agree with the idea that Nokia shouldn’t choose only one OS!!!
    s40 for phones, symbian^3 for not low end smartphones and MeeGo for high end super smartphones!!!

4. giorgio says:

I’d choose MeeGo, without a second thought.

5. adit38 says:

i’d rather choose symbian, coz symbian just suit my needs, why would i choose expensive one or os that (relative) drain ur battery faster than symbian for its need of faster procie

6. Tamten says:

It’s funny that people choose OS that they never used…. This is the power of “I want something new”. Symbian is great system and really powerful.

7. Doug says:

Gotta go with Symbian right now since MeeGo is still an unknown. Although, as much as I really don’t like a lot of things about Android, it’s tough to not wish that I had it on my N8, especially since I’m in the U.S. where everything app wise is Android and iOS. But then there’s that whole power hungry and always connected thing about Android that I can’t stand. Q3 2011 can’t come soon enough…

8. klm says:

Why did you forget Nokia ISA? It is the basic OS for cheap S40 and S30 mobiles. 10 – 50 euro mobiles and Nokia makes profit with it/them.

9. UD says:

I think nokia should stick wit symbian OS.It is really nice they just need it 2 run a faster with high end processor and a bit facelift on its UI looks.i believe symbian can get up to andriod an the ios.

10. maya says:

windows phone is non-logical love
    meego and symbian are real!!!
    What a suck choices

11. Babor says:

Meego For High End Smartphones :)

12. Ralph says:

Windows phone because of beautiful UI and it will rise soon