Symbian^3 new firmware PR2.0 Sneak Peek demoed on Nokia N8 – Tabbed Browsing, Accessible Timed Profiles and minor Email facelift.

| February 28, 2011 | 101 Replies

Good morning. We have another sneak peek of some features in upcoming PR2.0 for you. It’s not finalised but it’s just to give you an idea of what to expect.

Major thanks to Alex68 for sending this in:

1) Timed profiles more accessible

As begged by us Symbian users at the WishList panel (yet to update), Timed profiles is now a little bit more accessible. Hopefully you can see this view in homescreen too aswell as from profile view. This makes it easer to set timed profiles. Very useful  for me as to ensure I don’t forget to leave phones on silent and miss calls.

2) Mail

There’s a minor change in how mail looks. Notice that the top line contains the subject and in a smaller font, the body. In current email, we have senders name and subject in the same font. Also notice that when marking items, tick boxes appear on the left to be selected, as opposed to just boxless ticks on the right.

3) Browser.

We’ve seen thus multiple times now from Alex. Again just to reiterate, awesome bar at top, full screen view, persistent back button and options/full screen button.

You’ll see the browser trying to render mynokiablog.com. It’s not mobile browser optimized. At Nokia World it was said to be as good as it’s competitors. That is not as good as MicroB on N900. I’m sitting here with my Omnia 7 and with I.E. on WP7 it just whizzed past the loading (albeit, not being able to load any flash which may be part of the speed increase). (BTW, Note, ie is still no where near as capable as MicroB. It cannot, for instance, view google docs swiftly like N900).

You’ll see the little split screen portrait qwerty in action.

What’s new is below

We can see tabbed browsing. New browser will accept multiple windows that are easy to switch between.

This is the interface. You can swipe between them, a little like page history. Press the plus icon to add a new window. Note, this is early stages. Having said that, the animation is very slow, feeling like it’s in slow motion. Afterwards swipe (though non responsive) switches instantly. Let’s hope this is much smoother on release.

At least for the time being we have ability to have multiple browser windows and switch between them (you can have multiple windows now but you can’t really switch – just close)

That’s it for now. There was something else but got cut in video. As to the date for PR2.0 – I have no idea. Rumours say March/early April. Then after that, PR 3.0 :D.

Tags:

Category: Firmware Update, Nokia, Nseries, Symbian, Video

1. VeePee says:

Portrait Qwerty Keyboard?

2. Sea-Breeze says:

where is the new social ??!!! current social sucks

1) no notifications icon for facebook
    2) can’t open pages it open only profiles
    3) so damn slow in opening photos and most of the time say unable to retrive
    4) very slow kinetic scrolling

Where is the 30Fps for video ??!! where is the new Camera Interface !!

3. napier says:

Alex, I don’t know if you can shed any light on this: One thing that has always amazed/infuriated me is Nokia’s browser “strategy”. It’s widely reported that the N900 browser is the best mobile browser out there. So Nokia can develop a killer browser, yet it’s limited to a niche product, while the browser for the mass market devices lags far behind their competitors. I’m just staggered by that fact. Given the fact that so many tech blogs (mainly American) put so much stock in the internet browsing capability of the phone, how could Nokia let itself fall so far behind, in an arena in which they had a clear lead, when they clearly have the capability to produce a winning product?
    Can you shed any light on this?
    Secondly, is the N900 browser something that can be ported to Symbian?

• deep space bar says:

could be a should be Qt can take care of that pretty much and if they do this stock browser will be the one of the best browsers ever made…i use UC brower but i need pinch to zoom sometimes so i use both of them LOL

4. El Marko says:

Always good to see what’s coming up the pike.

Any details regarding the improvements to the calendar – and boy, does the N8 calendar need improvements! – would be appreciated.

5. dr amit johari says:

whatever they do they can not compete with android . i own both n 8 and Samsung galaxy pop and can tell u that though i m a Nokia fan since childhood

• Morgan says:

Android gotta be better then Symbian, agreed. But hardware wise… Nokia N8 vs Samsung Galaxy…………… I would stay away from Samsung phones and LG. that’s it, no matter what OS they wear.

6. Pete says:

Hi

The video is ok, but in the browser only abaut the windows, and no more.

7. Morgan says:

I am about to get a new phone… in my list is:
    Nokia N8
    Iphone 4
    HTC Desire
    Acer Liquid Metal
    Blackberry Torch

I crashed an Iphone 3G so im more tempted to get something else… Nokia looked attractive to me, but in every video i watch, like this one, it seems to be very unresponsive to the finger touch. Always delayed whereas iOS and Android devices gives a realistic feeling that your fingers are actually turning the pages…

• ksvraja says:

Hi,
      I am an email user for c6-01. just want to get an idea on multiple selections. Is it available/possible to bring in Shift-Select / Alt-select methods to select multiple emails as available in Microsoft Outlook here…
      (Like holding one finger on first item and tab other items with other finger / drag to select consecutive multiples.

8. fireballc2d says:

New Xperia Pro with Android 2.3 coming soon.
    Symbian and Windows Phone 7 go down, like MS-DOS!
    Good bye Symbian.

9. Everton Mak says:

I am all along using Nokia phones for the past 17 years. This N8 is the worst phone I ever had. It just keep hanging, hanging, hanging, need rstarting, restarting and restarting….

The video and photo albums loading extremely slow…close to 10mins….”media loading”…………………

Almost smash the N8 on to the wall

• Roller says:

Everton,

Take it back and get a replacement, that’s not normal, and will be covered under warranty. My n8 has hung once (was due to dodgy version of skype app) since I got it, has been very solid. Video/photo albums load very very quickly, only takes a second with 800+ photos (98 percent of which I took with it’s great camera!).

Sounds like the mass storage in yours is defective, like I said, get it exchanged under warranty. (don’t smash it against a wall first.. they might not cover that :))

10. SCEMO says:

the firmware doesn’t suck.. the person who’s testing it is just not capable of using mobile phone.

11. Hustler-n1 says:

Hey u guys..!
    I hv the intention of buying a new mobile phone…n i was wondering if u’d recommend the n8 to be my choice..?
    Thnx….

12. akash sharma. says:

nokia is fail in high market. New models with old functions leaving a touch. I have nokia n8. It has disappointed me alot. I left galaxy s for this bt now i am regreting. Nokia can produce only camera phones not good multimedia phones. I m fed up with this phone. Only a good camera can’t make the phone to work properly. I wasted my money. What the shit man.

13. akash sharma. says:

nokia is breaking the trust of customers. I liked nokia bt not anymore.

14. symbian user says:

hey nokia are you there ????
    are you listening to us??
    are you even read our comments???
    pls give us what we need not what you need

15. NOKIA N8 USER says:

when nokia release symbian anna for n8?? its take too long time for waiting

16. aron says:

can it type without poping up a new window now.. now my n8 cam doesnt work too. sucks

• Dexy says:

Yeah now it does in this new version. There will no new window which will pop up. You can experience it under conversation and tap to reply you will see the change.

17. Dexy says:

I just updated to Symbian Anna version 022.014(PR 2.0) Its officially released Today. Its available through Nokia OVI.

Also its its got few new changes explore…

You can upgrade yourself using OVI Suit. Enjoy guys!!! all Nokia lovers

18. I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everybody elsxe encontering issues wifh your blog.

It appeawrs as though somee of the written text in your posts are running
    off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is
    happening to them as well? This may be a issue with my internet browszer because I’ve had this happen before.

Appreciate it

19. home's says:

Hello, I read your blogs regularly. Your story-telling style
    is witty, keep up the good work!

20. Having read this I believed it was reallyy enlightening.
    I aplpreciate you finding the time and effort to put this short article together.I once again find myself personally spending a loot
    of timme both reading and commenting. But so what, it
    was still worthwhile!

21. pest control says:

Excellent blog right here! Also your site a lot up very fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I get your associate hyperlink for your host?
    I want my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol