Videos: Windows Phone Ads: Everything a smartphone should be | Surprise + Rant

| March 6, 2011 | 14 Replies

Microsoft are really pushing Windows Phone’s profile with these adverts. Regardless of what the phone can actually do, or truths behind it, what is most important in the adverts is that it drums down your message to the viewer that your product is something DESIRABLE, something LIKEABLE, something You’d go out and BUY. All other factors do not matter.It doesn’t matter if other phones can do what yours does or maybe does it better. iPhone through out these years has shown us that. (Though I don’t really want to go to the point of MS using Job’s Reality Distortion Field, i.e. get the ‘oohs for the moment’, afterwards when others try to refute, that’s when nobody cares and nobody remembers.) Just focus on YOUR product. No wishy washy, super vague ads that mean eff-all to anyone that is asked afterwards, “so what did that ad tell you?”.

You guys are the higher discerning consumers. You aren’t the ones being targeted by these ads. I look at Nokia ads and I’m like…hmmm… what? If Joe Typical looked at the average Nokia ad and the average windows phone ad, I’d bet he’d prefer the latter. The only bad windows phone ads I’ve seen are the tutorial vids where the frame rate is like 1FPS. I’m not sure those were meant for mass public viewing anyway. The coolest ads with Symbian in the forefront I’d say is either the fake N97 ad, or the very first N8 demo videos with that catchy music and little robot.

“See what real people and the experts are saying about Windows Phone. The only phone with Office, Xbox LIVE, and thousands of apps. It’s time to trade up to a better mobile phone.”

Surprise

“When was the last time you phone surprised you… in a good way? Windows Phone is the only phone with Office, Xbox LIVE, and thousands of apps. Watch the new Windows Phone commercial, featuring the Samsung Focus from AT&T.”

The Windows phone ads are on autoplay and here’s an interesting video I came across – Microsoft’s viewpoint of the Nokia-MS partnership. I like how the lady is like, “Nokia is a global company right?” LOLOL. You might say that. But I guess that would be a surprise for quite a few US based users, many of whom get surprised to hear Nokia still make phones, let alone sell over half a billion of them a year and is the NUMBER 1 manufacturer…in the WORLD.

Fortunately, the guy replies, “It’s a MONSTER company..they are truly a global brand…Huge in China, all over Europe and they OWN Africa”. They speak of Symbian and Ovi Store success and hope that they can bring this level of market penetration to Windows Phone. The Nokia-MS thing is big, big, big news for Windows Phone developers. Not so much good news for Qt/Symbian/MeeGo development, but since Nokia has switched primary long term focus to Windows Phone, success for Nokia requires success of Windows Phone, which hopefully may buy them some time to fix their “next disruption” behind closed doors away from expectant eyes.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: MeeGo, Nokia, Rant, Symbian, Windows Phone

1. h3csc says:

Im not really a hater of wp7 nor symbian fans but the ad makes me wanna say
    ‘wtf? you feel so proud with just thousands of apps?’
    just for fun anyway, not trolling :P

• Artss says:

fuck off.

• Mark says:

Really? Is there any platform with millions yet?

That aside quantity does not equal quality. I have an iPhone 3GS and have about 50 apps installed. Of those there’s a few that came as standard on my N8 (maps and navigation being the obvious ones), some are available, or have an acceptable alternative, on any platform and some that are unique to the iPhone. Those are mainly games.

What the iPhone does have is more polished apps because the competition is intense – if you have thousands of apps doing the same thing the ones that are going to succeed are the ones that go the extra mile, especially if they’re paid apps.

If you don’t believe me look at what the most popular apps on the App store are.

2. chfyfx says:

when do they start to quote from intomobile? the #1 anti nokia site from the US

• Jay Montano says:

Since it said something good about it :p I swear engadget for a while was totally head over heels with Windows Phone.

Would you say intomobile anti Nokia on the whole or just certain writers? One that’s very critical is actually a pretty cool guy. In fact, he worked at Nokia (and was possibly the biggest Nokia fan, come blogger, come staff). I’d give that #1 prize to gizmodo though.

3. outdated os says:

M$ is only making where Nokia sucked at, marketing.

• Jay Montano says:

“Hope through nokia, them Americans will finally know that there are countries beside the US.”

Great point! I hope MS will use Nokia WP in future videos to show case Windows Phone and for Nokia’s marketing team to step up and churn out some awesome ads.

4. karam says:

the only phone with office and xbox live and the only phone with no clock on the home screen.

• karam says:

oooops never mind it’s there. just noticed it. the UI is ahead of symbian. but that is the only advantage I can think of.

5. Smith says:

So when are you changing the name of this site to mymicrosoftblog.com?

• Mark says:

Question: Is this blog called My Symbian Blog or My Nokia Blog?

Question: Are Nokia going to manufacture Windows phones as well as Symbian phones and the odd MeeGo device?

Question: Are there articles about Symbian, MeeGo and WP here?

Grow up. Nobody likes a zealot.

• j.gray says:

OH give it a rest will ya? Even if you rant 1 million words here, Nokia wouldn’t ever change the decisions, and Jay and co. would still cover WP7 news here because now, guess what, WP7 IS the future of Nokia. If you don’t like how Jay runs his blog, then piss off!

That goes to ALL those other butt-hurt haters.

I, for one, am looking forward for a Nokia WP7, as IMO Samsung, HTC, and others aren’t that good hardware wise. The only one WP7 on launch that really pique my interest is the Dell Venue Pro.

6. Robin says:

I currently like the latest nokia advert showing in the uk of the blind photographer. It highlights the benefits of the camera on the n8 while giving a personal touch at the same time and the pictures he takes look amazing. Wonder if they could do the same with sat nav and a global motorcycle trek to highlight the benefits of free navigation?

7. Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your site unintentionally, and I aam surprised
    why this coincidence did nott came about in advance! I bookmarked it.