Video: The secrets of the Magical Ovi Maps 3D explained (future mission: everybody to see their house in 3D)
To say we were impressed with Ovi Maps 3D in an understatement. The media are praising it too. One thing in everyone’s minds.
“HOW DID THEY DO IT?”
I assumed photos and mesh (created with laser scanners?)Being photo realistic, they were essentially photos put onto very accurate 3D meshes (hence photos of cars on the road and not plain).
Video below with Luca and Ludvig, explaining the actual secrets to Nokia’s magic maps.
- Fly with plane
- Take high resolution images, 1 per second
- 100 images per object, e.g. house
- Those images are used to reconstruct 3D mesh
- Textured 3D mesh using appropriate mesh
- Highly automated tech for creating huge amount of maps
- Creating not only city centre but also suberbs.
- Interesting feature – not only exploring down town of city, but full metropolitan area.
- Explore the whole region
- Many details available (e.g. Trees. Frikkin Trees!)
- Holistic experience – able to see how the reality is
- Also offering high res panoramic images down on street (street view)
- Highly automated process – images
- Algorithm produces 3D mesh that’s fully textured.
- Have a mission – everybody should be able to see their house. I shall do this now *walks out door*
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, thanks for reading my post. My name is Jay and I'm a medical student at the University of Manchester. When I can, I blog here at mynokiablog.com and tweet now and again @jaymontano. We also have a twitter and facebook accounts @mynokiablog and Facebook.com/mynokiablog. Check out the tips, guides and rules for commenting >>click<< Contact us at tips(@)mynokiablog.com or email me directly on jay[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- [TREND] 3D City Maps | DH101 | October 16, 2012