What’s in an ecosystem?

| June 23, 2011 | 84 Replies

Now a lot of people took offense to my post about MeeGo, with quite a few saying that I was a Microsoft shill, Windows Phone fanboy, hated open source, a goon, know nothing about Open Source and quite a few other things that by and large demonstrated that they completely missed the point.

Let me make this clear, as a standalone device, in terms of what I’ve seen of the User eXperience and the hardware, I’d be hard-pressed to find a compelling reason to avoid the N9.

I haven’t been more impressed by a Nokia since the N95 and certainly not as impressed by a Nokia-made user experience since I first laid eyes on Maemo but I’m concerned about putting my very skint supply of money on the line for a device that will not give me what I want.

Stephen Elop’s spiel on ecosystems goes a lot deeper than application stores, something that is quickly (and incorrectly) becoming the colloquial definition of an ecosystem. Let’s take a  quick look at mobile landscape now, Apple dominating the revenues and Google dominating the numbers, Nokia on their own trying to keep up with Google and simultaneously ceding revenue to Apple. As a for-profit company, that is bad, very bad, especially as margins continue to decrease. So why is it that Nokia can’t succeed where Google and Apple both have? It’s tied almost certainly to having unique selling points and a solid ecosystem. The significance of each is this, unique selling points draw customers to your devices and platform, a solid ecosystem and in some cases, vendor lock-in reduces churn (the constant moving of customers to and from your platform). Apple’s unique selling point when they first launched was the capacitive touchscreen and large (for the time screen) coupled with a user interface made for fingers and not styli. There was little else at the time and nearly everything else about the device was mediocre. They then started courting developers and getting people locked into their “ecosystem” storing, purchasing and managing their music both on device and on their PC’s using iTunes (which was the only way to get music etc on the device) and the lock-in was complete; for a time.

Seeing what Apple had done, all and sundry rushed to produce their own copy of the iPhone and while quite a few were more impressive hardware-wise none had unique selling points and none had a way to reduce churn. They all failed in one way or another. Apple subsequently added an application store, a great developer platform and added yet another unique selling point to their portfolio. Further, by using their own development environment, developers and consumers alike were even more locked in. No churn for Apple, just growth. Since then, the ball has just been gaining velocity as it sped downhill.

Google took a somewhat different approach, by claiming to be open and free to hardware manufacturers down on their luck, they managed to garner a boatload of support even though their initial offering was pitiful at best. They then built an ecosystem with component and SOC manufacturers where all Google would have to do is fix the looks and functionality in their little virtual machine environment and the SOC manufacturers would adapt it for the myriad of different chipsets that would be used by the myriad of Android manufacturers. This kept costs even lower for would-be  Android manufacturers and spurred even greater adoption of the platform. Coupled with better integration of burgeoning Google services and Google’s own proprietary (and very much ad-supported) developer offerings, they’d achieved more or less their own form of lock-in. As they continued to improve their user experience they fed growth while reducing churn.

NB: It should be noted that while Android source is free, access to mapping,mail, and market access is CERTAINLY not and must be licensed upon meeting certain fluid criteria laid out by the Android head honcho over at Google

RIM on the other hand had little to lock consumers in but BBM and a pitiful application platform while user experience literally rotted away. Sure they’ve had growth but relatively speaking, massive churn.

Symbian had frugality, price advantages and a relatively solid core but with little unique selling points outside of Nokia’s own hardware, it was left in a rather tough spot and we’re seeing the obvious effects of that churn.

One other aspect that I neglected to mention outright is the role of carriers in facilitating or hampering the growth and churn of specific software platforms. This is something I’ve covered in another editorial.

So let’s do a quick summary shall we. In order to be really successful in the current mobile landscape you need the following:-

1. A unique selling point either in terms of hardware or software running on a specific platform

2. A good user experience that is facilitated by:-

3. A good developer environment that allows extension of the devices capabilities

4. Support from component manufacturers for your software platform of choice

5. Support from mobile operators (I vomit a little in my mouth at the thought)

6. Rapid improvement and innovation of your platform of choice or other methods of enticing users to stay with your platform (BBM, Application stores, Google services all good examples of this)

Strangely enough, this seemingly unrelated points are the key pillars of a good mobile ecosystem. Hate it or love it, that’s the way the industry has been for the past 2-3 years. Sound familiar? From all we’ve seen in the past few years any one of these pillars being absent has/will result in abject failure. While I have my own thoughts on whether certain decisions were correct as things stand, I’ll judge in 12 month’s time

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Nokia

So you've read something I've written. yay!! As you already know, my name is Andre and I'm currently a student based in Atlanta. Much like Jay, I pretty much blog here in my free time. Follow me on twitter @andre1989 or contact me directly at Andre(at)mynokiablog(dot)com. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

1. Jim says:

Andre get paid 15 dollars for each post lauding Mr. Trojan Horse Elop and Windows Phone to the skies =)

• Jim says:

Yep, seriously Windows Phone is such a piece of shit that nobody wants it :)

• Andre says:

I was referring to you trolling me when I never mentioned Windows Phone 7 once in my post. Never said it had a good ecosystem or could have one in the future and definitely didn’t compare MeeGo, Qt or Symbian to it.

So my sentiment is much the same.

• Jim says:

So how much do you get paid for your posts praising the genius Elop and Windows Phone? I am sure that Evil Empire Microsoft pays you 15 dollars at least ;)

• Andre says:

I think that if certain beliefs hold true and are indeed facts, Elop made some smart decisions. Do I like Microsoft as a company?? Frankly don’t give a crap about them, rather apathetic as is my view on a good many other large corporations unless of course they’re attempting to screw me over in which case my rage is directed very much at them.

You guys really think I get paid to rile you up and post about Windows Phone? I mean seriously? :P Cuz at this point I wish I did, I guess I’m really good at it

• Keith says:

Do you get paid by your mommy, Steve Jobs, to troll here on a good piece of article? We all know your mommy doesn’t like to keep the Windows open in her house. That doesn’t mean you gotta come troll here. Like Andre mentioned in his comment, not once did he mention Windows Phone 7 in this post. Why do you keep trolling?

I doubt you even read the post fully.

• Jay Montano says:

Seriously dude, why would you make such ridiculous trolling comments?

2. NokiaC7User says:

This is stupid a good phone is what paves way for creating a successful ecosystem. Even the short Symbian^3 time Ovi store has seen a growth it had not seen in the past. If nokia keep producing good phone their ecosystem (they already have one) would be successful.

What Elop is doing is he is basically throwing the towel and saying we (as in Nokia) can’t do it alone. he might have been seen more right at Feb 11 timeframe but now that N9 is out in the sunshine his argument is looking weaker and weaker.

Note that MS ecosystem is currently weaker than Nokia.

• Andre says:

You can build a good platform and it sells like crap because of a lack of carrier support or component manufacturers and/or OEM’s. See WebOS.

You can build great hardware and hamstring it with a weak developer platform or bad UX and see a lot of user churn. As is the case with RIM and to a much lesser extent Symbian.

Do we as end-users have to be happy about it? No! But from a business perspective it makes sense sadly, they can’t do it alone anymore.

• Schneider says:

Nokia has the strongest bonds with carriers all over the globe.

MeeGo would have killed WP7 AND taken half the Android user base.

• Andre says:

In terms of localization and carrier billing relations and revenue sharing agreements I don’t doubt that. Whether they’re getting proper value from those agreements remains to be seen.

Your…. “outlook” on what MeeGo could have done is very optimistic and unrealistic in a number of ways.

But it IS a good product from what I’ve seen so far.

• Jim says:

absolutely true!!! remember about worldwide carrier billing that neither Apple nor Android can offer.

• NokiaC7User says:

WebOS high end mobile are not out yet to judge it completely.

RIM and Symbian both carry legacy baggage that can not be overlooked. Meego is a fresh start with lot of credible companies like intel behind it.

Yes whether Nokia could execute it well or not will always remain mystery now that they have decided not to do it. Who knows Microsoft also being underdog in mobile area would also be quite desperate for success and that will work in Nokia’s favor.

All in all its quite sad seeing such a beutiful phone may bot get all its dues. it really deserved being a nokia flagship. just image T-Mobile selling N9 in place of C7 Astound with Beta Anna OS. it will be hard to put a argument against its success

• Schneider says:

Indeed, Nokia is going from being a huge leading company in the mobile space into just another OEM manufacturer just like HTC and the others.

Such a waste to throw everything AWAY this early, I mean they were even on a rise since the Symbian^3 devices.

He’s DEFINITELY a Trojan horse.

• Andre says:

There’s a lot more to things than meets the eye… There are a lot of murky going-ons.

What if carriers pressure Nokia and said we won’t sell anymore Symbian devices unless you sell them to us for half price? What can Nokia do? Now what if I told you that that situation (Nokia selling devices for almost a loss) practically happened towards end of 2009 and early parts of 2010?

• Jim says:

you are talking nonsense, Nokia has very good relations with carriers worldwide except for the US, or there would have never been any carrier billing for Ovi Store!

• Andre says:

Right, do you know why Nokia’s smartphone ASP was so pitiful during 2009 and much of 2010?? I’ll give you 3 guesses.

1 reason was that carriers didn’t want to pay over the odds for devices they wouldn’t be making much out of.

There are others like producing clone devices of the 5800 and OPK trying to undercut android manufacturers by selling ridiculously low to carriers and making little to no profit off it instead of building better devices. But yes, they have awesome carrier relations.

• Jim says:

ok, can you explain the way how the carriers refuse to sell Nokia’s phones and how it influences Nokia when carriers don’t play such a big role worldwide (except for US) where retailers rule?

• NokiaC7User says:

I would not say partnership with Microsoft reduces them to HTC levels. Meego still might help nokia build up their patent portfolio and keep them dominant player in that area.

I just wished they would have had more guts to fight their own battle. Microsoft does give them OS which could develop at much higher pace compared to Symbian and possibly even Meego where collaborative development approach of open source might slow it down a bit.

Also some of the execution of Nokia services in their ecosystem like Music and especially Store has been historically pretty bad. Anyways Microsoft is also a new player in the game so we might have to give it more to time to judge them.

3. Shmerl says:

From your points Meego now lacks 4 (only Nokia made handset so far), and 5 (no discounts and etc.). While Meego excels in all other points. Plus Meego being open doesn’t force the totalitarian lock in ideology. WP on the other hand lacks much more of your points comparing to Meego, plus MS excels in lock in’s and DRM. Up to you to choose what to prefer.

• Andre says:

I’d say it lacks 4-6 and whether that stands to change is very much up in the air. Would I like to see that happen? Absolutely! But I don’t think it will :(.

ESPECIALLY #5 and there are question marks around how fast #6 can happen.

*flame suit on*

• mja says:

True, true. Qt is the ecosystem for Nokia (Symbian, MeeGo and S40 in the future.) Why bin the top-end of the Qt ecosystem?

Even more confusing is: why did Elop let the N9 be released as he must have known it’s getting praise?

4. outdated os says:

ans: Greed.

And “IF” there will be “apple/google/ms-exclusive” websites in the near future…

I will sign up for suicide bombing mission.

5. Cod3rror says:

Hmmm. ignore what the shit everybody else say.

Every group needs a devil advocate, if nokia had one, im pretty sure the future of nokia would have been different.

NOt that i am one thou. I am here just to shit on ppls parade.

• Juventino says:

Honestly, did you get ditched by girl who works for Nokia becuase of her work, or you got butt raped by some big bad ass at Nokia and now you harbour all this unreasonable hate/rage towards them…

Come on spill the beans…

• Cod3rror says:

*Moderator edited for simply being crude and frankly disgusting*

• mja says:

Cheers mate, brought a smile on my face on an otherwise rainy and grey day!

• Cod3rror says:

ouch. i shall control my language from now on. =(

• Jim says:

I see Cod3rror is subordinate to and under the command of Andre now=)

• Keizka says:

That’s not the true Cod3rror, you know.

• Deaconclgi says:

This post is hilarious! I didnt even read the article past yhe first paragraph. I don’t like articles that start off negative, it reminds me of vlad. I just skipped to the comments.

Andre, I think it is your tone and how you say what you say. It isn’t about what you say, it is how you say it. Your posts and comments often come off as arrogant, as if you are saying take it or leave it or “whatever” to the readers. We shouldn’t feel like we are reading engadget or get a feeling and know who wrote an article just by the title. That is exactly how vlad is known. MNB is an unbiased escape from the norm but the way you present your articles and comments come off as bias and that is why people call you out.

Once again, it isn’t about what you say, or even you liking wp, it is about HOW you say it and present yourself.

• Andre says:

I appreciate the feedback, I do and while it may seem like I’m an arrogant, self-serving idiot of a fanboy to some, please try to see it from my perspective.

I will write a post that doesn’t mention Windows Phone once, emphasize that I like MeeGo and explain why ecosystems are important and I still get flamed to high heaven or trolled or called names. So I started this post by making clear my stance on matters seeing as how everyone seems to think I hate the N9, hate Nokia and love Microsoft.

After almost every post I’m required to clarify a position, my position on matters even though I’ve been clear in the post and in previous posts about it.

I’m damned if I do (by people like yourself) and damned if I don’t by the TL;DR folks. When I’m less frustrated by being called names and badgered all the time then maybe you’ll see a return to the old cheery me. Til then, angst and frustration will infiltrate my posts. Sorry, but you have yourselves to blame :)

6. JFH says:

Everything you have written lacks any compelling reason not to continue with MeeGo for 1 device a year, even as Windows Phone takes over the Symbian Slice.

7. JD! says:

A nicely written article. I hope that an echosystem will be built around Meego fast. And I think it can be made faster than any echosystem as now a lot experience is available!
    Keeping my fingers crossed to see what is in store for next year… and hoping Nokia will suceed this one with flying colours.

8. Laborant says:

If the N9 will be successful, Nokia would be very dump if they drop this OS.

Nothing speaks against 2 parallel OS – like Samsung, HTC and LG.

For Nokia – these Parallel OS’es would be MeeGO/Harmattan and WP7/Mango/W8 – Symbian is a nice OS – I use my N8 with pleasure – but the reputation is gone. Symbian isn’t trendy anymore.

But: An Ecosystem isn’t just a number of “Apps”. There are several things who plays in this Ecosystem. Office-Integration, Multimedia-Features and so on. If the user has all his features he need, the Ecosystem is succesful.

WP7 (not Mango), Android or iOS for Business-Use? I just have to say “lol” ;)

Greetings

9. Tiv says:

All this talk about Meego not having an ecosystem.

This is what Elop said in February:

“Anything we do with Microsoft on search, productivity or advertising or navigation any of those services could certainly be taken to the advantage of any other effort like Meego”

Oh and

“That ecosystem can be used for not only Windows Phone devices.”

10. KeiZka says:

Andre is as critical as one should be at this point – can’t get comfy now.

Meanwhile, I’d say MS is the lesser evil, seeing there’s Apple too in existence…

11. Paul Grenfell says:

Eco systems are a means to tie you in.. I dont want to be tied in, to any ecosystem, be that Carrier, Windows or Google or Whatever.. There is a huge demand for unbranded, unlocked hansets for that very reason..Choice and Flexibility..I want freedom of choice , of Handset, of OS, of carrier and of support services etc
    I honestly dont like the current Windows platform OS..Im not that fussed on any platform at present, although the N9 has at least given me another choice..and it looks promising for me..

• Andre says:

There’s huge demand for unlocked handsets surely but guess who sells more handsets than unlocked handset vendors??

CARRIERS!!!!

You cannot sell well if you’re not in retail stores, end of story. They have a damned important part to play in success or failure of a platform or OEM. Hate ecosystems and tie-ins all you want but this is BUSINESS.

• Don says:

You’re again projecting the US situation onto the world.

WP7 is a new kid on the block almost everywhere else, and none of its “ecosystem” exists here; everything you claim it will offer and people will flock to in droves (Zune? Xbox? Nobody cares) can already be had with Apple, and a lesser extent, Android.

WP7 is just the Microsoft version of what Apple already offers today. It offers nothing new. So suppose MS will throw billions at it to make it stick (let’s see if it does), why is that good for anyone? Sounds like something everyone should be disgusted by, not something that should be idolized.

• Andre says:

I’m projecting am I? Where do most consumers buy their devices? Online or in a retail store belonging to a specific carrier. Go on, I’ll wait for your answer.

I’m not projecting the US situation on the world, the world is bloody well adopting it, in spite of it’s vilification by the media (MYSELF INCLUDED).

I HATE the way things are going re: carriers, I don’t like the idea that a single company knows everything about me, but it’s the way things are going right now :(.

Say what you want about Microsoft doing exactly what Apple is doing etc but lemme ask you a question, what company managed to make over 24 Billion in revenue last quarter and more than 11 billion on phones alone last quarter. It wasn’t Nokia. Clearly Apple have done something right no?

• Mario says:

They have done something right: marketing.

I see you think Apple’s model is the way to go. Well, when there are Beatles already, you can’t be the Beatles again, you will end up looking like the Moonkees. You should be Led Zeppelin.

I would be fine with WP7 if it were not a hog of battery power, data connection and funnel me through Zune. Hell, desktop Windows 7 offers me more freedom than WP7.

• anamika says:

Do you one of the biggest market for Nokia. India. We don’t buy from carriers. We buy unlocked mobile and then pick carriers. You have to stop thinking everyone is a American.

• Harangue says:

As long as phones are heavily subsidezed by carriers and are basically free on contract people will buy that particular device. (granted it meets a number of their requirements.)

Don’t underestimate the power of money. All things that are free will sell. Sounds a bit odd that sentence.

The lock-in is something the majority of readers here don’t want. But what is actually the lock-in? The only real factor of keeping someone inside an ecosystem is the apps bought. And probably DRM’ed music. Cut those out of the equasion and there is no lock-in at all, apart from the services you use like search etc. but as long as you’re allowed to use Google on WP or Bing on Android I don’t see that as lock in.

So if apps are the only real lock-in. How is someone that buys just a few apps (average user does) really locked into an ecosystem?
      Besides that, HTC, Android or SPB (don’t know exactly anymore) had an app that converted Symbian contacts etc. to Android accesable date so jumping from Symbian to Android was made easier.

If lock-in becomes a big thing, those type of converter apps will probably soar since every MFR wants to grab the customer of it’s competitor.

So, apart from bought apps. Where is the real lock-in?

12. JJO says:

My thoughts about Elop made a right choice to build up an ecosystem than some super phones.

First about myself: I live in Finland and uses Nokia 5800 xpress which is seeing its last days.

So what will my next phone be?

I am saving for a sonos system and the applications for it is only for android or iphone so when of if they will do for more phones i hope it will be to a bigger ecosystem and that is where windows phones will come in.

Our local phone company’s sells digital tv boxes which has phone application for ??? Yes that’s right iPhone and android and do still live in Finland, so even Finnish people have problems to get applications for everyday thing’s for Nokia products and that sux.

Ecosystem is not only that you can play games and use facebook on your phone its so much larger now because you can control your whole home with an phone nowadays if its a android or iPhone.

If nokia want to get in the game again they need windows more than ever so they get application to everything where only android and ios is.

I don’t care if there is 10 or 100 000 developers that makes apps that plays different songs or games. I want apps that is useful for me and Nokia already got the maps and Microsoft got the office now i need the rest good apps.

13. Shihuzaan says:

i really don’t care about ecosystem. N9 has everything i need. music player,an innovative ui, meego which is linux, nice browser, integrated social networking,nice camera.
    i am sure there are thousands of qt developers including me.

14. hotnikkelz says:

What I don’t get is why can’t do Meego and Win phone 7 in parallel. Microsoft is the software, Nokia is the hardware, Elop claims they won’t do much alterations and Nokia is pretty much limited with the hardware choice, so how hard can it be?
    Make the windows phone 7 hardware, focus on building Meego and fleshing it out. It’s so bogus to abandon Meego and practically do little to no software….what will the software guys do?

• John says:

Thats a really good question, I am guessing the amount of money that is being exchanged between the Nokia and Microsoft prevents them doing just that. I would hope they work on both OS’s you never know Elop might change his mind.

15. CivOtaku says:

Oh dear god, some people are just horribly ignorant! And I DO NOT mean Andre! (and I also don’t mean just the mobile industry, it’s EVERYWHERE D:). Keep up the awesome work Andre, I can imagine how tough this must be for you, but “haters gonna hate”. Just try to ignore the worst trolls.

16. oakpacific says:

If Elop wanted to convince me that he is not a trojan horse of MS, it would be quite simple: let me see him not putting all the eggs in one basket. Every decent mobile phone maker in the market(besides Motorola, which is still bleeding and Apple for obvious reasons) is selling devices running at least two OSes, so Nokia, being the largest phone producer in the world should at least be capable and willing to do the same. I’m entirely fine with WP occupying a large part of their portfolio, but not in the way they’re doing right now, foresaying the doom of their all other smartphone platforms.

17. deep space bar says:

elop just fucked up period……. He kept saying meego wasn’t done and wasn’t upto standard but yet again when it was announced they put so much work into it and as well made a dev model ……….does that even make sense if your gonna kill off an OS why build so much hype around it and make a variant

18. Patrick says:

The problem is not that they have gone over to Windows. I understand the reasons why, and Windows will become a great eco-system which should replace Symbian. However it is strategically foolish to handover 100% of the phone s/w to a 3rd party, no matter how good the terms are with immediate cash, access to new capabilities etc.

Nokia MUST retain a foot in the door, and keep Meego/Harmattan going as a backup plan. They only need to produce 1-2 very high end phones a year using this platform. Heck if apple can make so much money wth 1 phone a year, then why can’t Nokia?

You cannot assume that Windows will be a success so you need an alternative. Symbian is no longer that alternative as it is too hard to develop and takes to long to update.

Meego/Harmattan is the perfect alternative. The ecosystem will be there because QT is only going to explode now that it will be on S40. You will be able to run Android apps with 3rd party middleware.

I haven’t seen the details but there I assume there is good integration with google calendar/gmail etc already wihin the N9.

So there is an ecosystem available that will grow and grow.

The N9 is the mosty exciting phone I have seen since the iphone was launched.

Can you imagine an N9+ with dual core, USD OTG, HDMI output, bigger camera, etc etc would be like?

So my recommendation for Nokia would be, by all means migrate from Symbian to Microsoft for high/mid range phones and S40 for low/mid range. But keep Meego for 1-2 high end phones a year as a backup plan for Microsoft, and make sure they are compatible with any new Nokia ecosystem.

But what do I know, I’m just a customer.

19. John says:

I am getting sick and tired of Nokia fanboys bickering on about how Andre is a Microsoft fanboy and how he gets paid by him.

Face the facts people Elop made a hard decision and went for Nokia re getting killed by better ecosystems created by Apple and Google (and its irrelevant wether you hate being in an ecosystem, the fact is average customers dont mind). People are getting comfortable with Apple’s and Google’s ecosystems Nokia are going to struggle convincing buyers with Windows Phone, but that task is near impossible with MeeGo.

Like Andre said keep it as a concept thing.

It seems to me that Nerds and Geeks do not understand an Ecosystem from the average customers point of view. It doesn’t matter how good MeeGo is thats not the point Elop is trying to make. A good OS is far from being the answer to selling smartphones now, it was a while ago but not anymore.

From my research and questioning potential smartphone users:

1.They want to be able to buy high quality mainstream apps in an easy way.
    2.They want to be able to buy music, buy/rent movies
    3.They want to be able to buy and read magazine/books on their devices
    4. People want to be able to sync to the cloud their data
    5. People want to be able to wirelessly connect to other household devices like sonos player and other devices we havent seen yet

Plus the 6 points Andre mentioned

Now who offers all these choices huh……Apple, Microsoft are a close second not even Android offers all these services in a smooth tight knit integration but its better than MeeGo.

Even if MeeGo is really as good as its being touted how long will it take Nokia to create an ecosystem like the one I just explained and place it with their MeeGo devices, probably years (and no where near as elegant as the Apple offering) when we have all moved to on to next great thing.

Creating a nice OS is only a tiny part of the whole puzzle.

Dont get me wrong I love the N9 and MeeGo, but come on people you guys are so much smarter than this, if the CEO of the company doesn’t have the confidence in the damn OS even though he knows all the background shenanigans going on how the hell can you be so optimistic !!!!!

If you hate Microsoft WP7 and Elop so much why dont you just move on to Android already and stop posting childish comments you guys are so much smarter than this.

This is business not a geek hobby project people’s life’s and jobs are involved in this.

I just had to get this of my chest :-D

20. Mike says:

After I seen Nokia N9, I REALLY understand why Elop choose WP instead of Android.

By going Windows Phone, they can add their own cool design and great hardware, Nokia can add Swipe to WP, NFC to WP, and who knows what.

Can’t wait to see Nokia WP, it WILL be great!

21. pr123 says:

Who want to be a part of a vendor lock-in anyway ? I will take MeeGO over wp7 any day.. I want to be able to use my phone as a hotspot (without having the carrier telling me when and how to do it), I want a file system.. I want freedom.. WP7 is prison..pretty, but still a prison. NOkia is making a HUGE mistake..

• John says:

Unfortunately you are not the one that will change Nokia’s fortunes its the other 99% of customers that will, I have never heard a customers ask me I want an open smartphone if there was then Apple wouldn’t sell a single iPhone but they are

22. yasu says:

An ecosystem is something that so far has not helped Windows “ecosystem ecosystem ecosytem” Phone, backed by multiple vendors, overhaul Bada, which comes with virtually no ecosystem to speak of and backed by only one vendor. And I’m willing to bet that the situation is going to be the same in Q2.

IOW, it’s a buzzword that is not the magic bullet that those that parrot it would like me to believe.

23. Taz says:

What is An Ecosystem?

Answer (By Elop):

An Ecosystem: There can be, should be and will be only ONE ecosystem. Disrupt Nokia ecosystem, acquire all its vital elements and create MICROSOFT ecosystem…

What is in An (Microsoft) Ecosystem?
    Answer: Bullshit

24. Mac says:

So the big question is what defines the s40 line as an ecosystem? Apps? Integration with everything like your hardwares, cloud services etc? Music services?

Well its just 3 things and nothing else really. What is it cos it sells well. What are these things? Its really simple. Great hardware, simplicity in usability and the most obvious, affordability. Now what does the n9 lack that deems it incompetent to coexist in this society? I think thats just the affordability factor. Out of the box the n9 would survive really comfortably with what it has and the qt apps ecosystem adds value to that survival. Now perception usually kills anything thats good especially if its negative. The n9 doesnt have that! So devs would dish out apps for this especially if it has already been created and just needs minor polishing for the n9. Its all about the money and it will be available in the ovi store which the n9 comes preloaded with. Now s40 survives and thrives with very little. The n9? I’m sure it would be just fine. Now just about that affordability aspect. I’m sure it would still do well nevertheless even if it isnt dirt cheap. The thriving markets for s40 are also consumers that can afford expensive phones. We just assume that they cant but they will buy this eyecandy phone even without that ecosystem.

25. jbk1971 says: