Universal Search Beta

| July 17, 2011 | 38 Replies

I know we have already brought you an article regarding Nokia Beta Labs’ new toy, Universal Search Beta. However, it was a closed trial (invite only). This still hasn’t changed, although i have come across a leaked installer of the new Search (2.39.176). I have been using it on my N8 (PR 1.2 – No mods) for a month or so and it has been working well. The screenshot above was taken on my phone just the other day.

It is very similar to Apple’s spotlight search in the sense that it not only performs a local search (files, contacts, messages, etc.) but also performs external and application searches (Ovi Maps, Google/Bing, Here and Now, Wikipedia, etc.)

As Jay previously wrote

• Find people, places and content, whether on your phone or on the web
  • See suggestions as you type, even if you’re not sure of the spelling
  • Search the web from the home screen or any browser URL bar
  • Go right to your content with Smart Contact and Smart App widgets—shortcuts automatically populated and updated based on your activity

The video was uploaded all the way back in April, but it’s unlisted, meaning only those given the link would find it.

Seems it has its own portrait QWERTY.

Happy Searching,
Michael

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Applications, Nokia, OVI, Symbian^3

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. Arshdeep Brar says:

Off Topic: You have a widget on homescreen which is showing the temperature and conditions.. Could u please tell me the name of that??

• SGean says:

Dosn’t work for my N8. Stuck at “Indexing (100%)…” and not moving..

• Michael Faro-Tusino says:

Have you tried an uninstall, reboot, and reinstall?

• Mazze says:

Same on my N8. Fails to install. This is sooo tiring. I’m hoping for the competition to come up with a decent well-designed Android camera phone in the next 12 – 15 months so I can finally switch. No interest in WP 7 tiles.

I have been waiting for that portrait keyboard for 9 months now. What I see in the leaked version as well as on the X7 is a joke, not to mention the lack of split-screen input. Is it really to much to ask for the keyboard shown on the above screenshot in that search app to be integrated as the standard keyboard in the final Anna release? Are people at Nokia working together at all or is everybody working against each other? If one department managed to come up with a normally spaced portrait keyboard (hurray, big breakthrough!!!), is it then absolutely impossible for another department to reuse that code in other applications or even throughout the whole operating system? Sometimes I’m really surprised at how good of a job Nokia does of destroying themselves as in “MeeGo looks really cool – we want it!” but “No, we’re going with WP 7 no matter how successful MeeGo will be” since we don’t care if nobody likes tiles and the OS doesn’t sell on other handsets either.

• Gabriele says:

Thanks, after a reboot it works on E6, too, except for the contacts.

Anyway, the design of the widget is horribile…

2. Mike says:

That app froze for me a lot…. so I uninstalled it.

• SGean says:

Same, finally got it to work. However closing the app takes a long time and stays in that ‘freeze status’. Guess i’m not going to use it. Hope it comes built in to anna as it seems to be an external application and takes up quite abit of RAM..

• stylinred says:

really? ive never had that problem maybe the leaked version you guys are using is buggy

3. fuel says:

reupload again pls. i will try it..

4. Slayer says:

isn’t that bundled with the leaked anna?

anyway, have been using it for a month now. works really great.

5. Mike says:

i’m liking that portrait qwerty…

• Michael Faro-Tusino says:

Agreed. I hope that is implemented into Anna. I’m sick of the opera and iphone style where the buttons are too small and you push every letter but the one you want.

6. italian7 says:

for those who have access to the closed trial is there a newer version to this?

• stylinred says:

the only version i see available on betalabs is from 13/06/11 when the app was released

dont know the exact version number i dont have my phone with me atm

• Paul Grenfell says:

No, this is same version as was released for trial..There is no later version ..(Yet)

7. Deep space Bar says:

question is…..does it change the QWERTY portrait layout ?

8. italian7 says:

tested it out! works great! loving it!

9. Paul Grenfell says:

I tried this from invitation. And it has its bugs.. Once its up and running , its ok, but battery hungry and needs consistent internet access..
    I still have it, but dont use it..Still needs some improvements yet.

10. mk says:

not working on my c7.stuck at opening of widget.

• mk says:

EDIT:guys i have seen smart apps and smart contacts widgets in my widget catalogue after installing search widget.have anyone noticed it?

• Michael Faro-Tusino says:

Yes, this is the the part of the app in which your most frequently contacted contacts and most used apps are updated as shortcuts. To make use of these, put the widgets on your home screen and watch them automatically populate.

11. fuel says:

i tried this on my n8 works great. in settings i put off the gps and web search..