WhatsApp on Windows Phone (Update – now in Market Place)

| September 19, 2011 | 56 Replies

I think I read some comments saying apps like WhatsApp won’t be coming to Windows Phone.

Well WMPowerUser reckons they have some screenshots of WhatpsApp above.

WhatsApp is an oddly named but very useful cross platform messenger service that’s free to trial, and $1.99 per year if you wish to continue (according to the site). Whether it’s an iOS/Android/Blackberry or a ‘Nokia’ – now it seems to be coming to Windows Phone too.

Source: WMPowerUser

Cheers Chris for the tip.

Update: This is now in the market place

Category: Applications, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. Joshua Williams says:

Hmmm, it seems u are now baptized in the waters of Microsoft.
    Just know that in the future to come Nokia would not have anything to do with Microsoft

• Jay Montano says:

And why would you say that I am “baptized in the waters of Microsoft”?

• Tej Parker says:

indeed you are, jay..now stop behaving otherwise

• Jay Montano says:

Your comment makes no sense as usual. Get off my blog.

• Eugen says:

It’s ok Jay, not everyone who loves Nokia lost adequacy. You are doing the right thing, man.

• Jay Montano says:

I don’t mind that not everyone likes Windows Phone, but that guy is always badgering us. I have been as patient as I can with him but he’s always there to make the snide, condescending or attacking remark when ever possible.

• Tariq says:

The best thing to do is to ignore these fools.
                WP7 is an excellent OS which beats the crap put of android and iOS. But its still no match for N9.
                But if eye candy is what the mass market requires, then Nokia has no choice but to make a WP7 device.
                As long as Nokia has Symbian devices out there, I have no problem with them making wp7, and since this is a Nokia blog, I excpect WP7 related news here.
                So just ignore users who speak in riddles.

• Anastasios-Antonios Toulkeridis says:

You know something we don’t? Wouldn’t it be more sincere if you wrote something along the lines “i hate microsoft so i just make up all kind of BS to bash her”

• Cloud_Connected says:

A bit cryptic, your post, don´t you think so?

• Hypnopottamus says:

I can’t believe that people are STILL in denial. Nokia and MS are a FACT. Deal with it. You may not like it, but don’t think that MNB won’t be reporting anything MS that’s Nokia related.

2. Ali Abdulla says:

whatsapp aint free, it just gives u a year trail

• Jay Montano says:

Sorry, yes. App is free, service is $1.99/year.

• Cod3rror says:

Huh? It’s free on iOS.

Anyways, I tried WhatsApp, it’s decent but pretty useless to me.

Now Viber, that’s an awesome app!

And where is Skype for WP7?

• Harangue says:

No, it’s free for a year and then a one time only 1.99 to keep the service.

@Cod3rror; iOS ain’t free either, it’s 0.89 in my country at least. One time only.

• Cod3rror says:

Ah, well thanks for clearing it up.

I thought you guys meant paying 1.99 every year.

Yea in iTunes it costs 0.99 cents.

WP7 apps are over priced.

• Harangue says:

Symbian apps ain’t exactly free either. Angry Birds launched at a fairly high price and so is WhatsApp (1,99 on Symbian)

But indeed, WP apps are fairly expensive. It better come down in the near future.

3. Spitfire says:

Microsoft products are all over-hyped because microsoft puts their products down peoples throaths with big contracts and ad’s but when it comes to real consumer experiences with microsoft products those products mostly appear to turn out to be a big fail and nothing compared to other manufacturers products(i.e. symbian)

Read my words… the metro stylish UI and menu of Windows Phone is over-hyped and going to turn out to be a big fail again. Then Nokia will start to invest into Symbian again when they find out WP is not selling that well as they hoped it to be.

4. ddjddj says:

dont be fooled by whatapp dev, skype all the way! or maybe its alternative when ms screw them

• viasco says:

seriously, whatsapp is an instant messaging service while skype is more focused on video & chat call

whatsapp doesnt need you to create an account or log in, just need telephone number and voila, you can chat to your friends who’s installed whatsapp on their device.

moreover it’s light, efficient, and easy to use :D

you must be a morron saying things like that :x

5. elchi says:

That is nice but I would prefer to see Whatsapp on the N9.
    I think there is no version of Whatsapp available for the N9 yet ?

• Spitfire says:

I hope so too…. N9 is way more attractive than any other WP device there’ll ever will be.

Let’s hope some day whatsapp will become an open platform so that everyone can develop 3rd party apps for whatsapp..
      Then Meego/harmatten will get a whatsapp app too

• Harangue says:

Targeting WP does show more potential right now since there is a customer base already. The N9 is yet to come out and attain a customer/user base who might buy the app.

If WhatsApp wanted to make one for Maemo they could have already done so for the N900. N900 apps should run on the N9 right?
        Yet they didn’t make on due to a small user base if I recall that correctly.

WhatsApp won’t make their platform open, that would be throwing away your income.

6. Michael Faro-Tusino says:

WhatsApp needs to have screensaver notifications for Belle

7. KeiZka says:

People are as ludicrous as always.

How many of you WP7 haters have actually used it before dooming it? And with used I mean longer than 15minutes.

• Cod3rror says:

I tried but I could not use it for more than 10 minutes.

Besides, people not even wanting to use it or try is already a problem. In fact that’s the problem, it does not attract people to even use it for 15 minutes.

• GeceBekcisi says:

I used a HTC Surround for over 2 months. It was days of my mobile life, filled with huge frustrations.

Why do you think we should love a flashy PMP with some half baked GSM functions thrown in randomly?

I do NOT need a self-entertaining time killing device (a toy), I need a full fledged personal communications device (a phone) god damn it!

• Guerrahp says:

If it takes more than 15 minutes to like what you see, you are just fooling yourself.

• N00-00 says:

Please don’t start this again. Many of “WP haters” here have used WP devices and didn’t like it.. I have a HTC trophy and Samsung Omnia 7 (with Mango build 7712) and got bored with them quickly.. I like to personalize my phone which I can’t do much with WP.

Besides, when somebody goes to buy a phone or a contract don’t get to play with working phones for more than 15mins each to like it or hate it.

8. BiboKid says:

Hi JAY,

i found a Nokia N9 Unboxing video.. very interesting..

it’s in greek though

9. Fanel says:

WhatsApp is now available on the Marketplace: http://wmpoweruser.com/whatsapp-now-in-marketplace/

10. arts. says:

When there is an win 7 post here, maybe you guys should disable the commenting section. or put it up for moderating.

11. arts. says:

and i thank you guys for covering this stuff. it helps ease the transition from symbian to win7 for me later on.

12. munemune says:

Is that whatsapp WP7 ver can all ways online?

13. Mike says:

WhatsApp is quite the hit here in the netherlands…

I can only guess but, i think it’s bigger then BBM, and that for a 3rd party app.

Don’t see why it’s not in your countries?