Lumiappaday #1: Amazon Kindle demoed on Nokia Lumia 800

| November 22, 2011 | 17 Replies

I’ve been waiting to share these apps with you guys for a long time. Since February I’ve been enjoying a lot of great quality apps but I put off reviewing them as I only wanted to show them Nokia hardware (so Nokia users can see exactly if it will run and how it will perform).

Since there are a lot of apps, I’m going to do a segment called Lumiappaday – where every day, we’ll be demoing at least one Windows Phone app for the Nokia Lumia. You may already be aware of these apps, you might not. There’s no particular order to what I’m showing. I’m really happy with WP Market Place as there’s always great quality apps to download. (Obviously Apple app store or Android Market is not possible on the Nokia Lumia handsets so there’s no point bringing that to the discussion).

You can see all future Lumiappaday posts with this tag: Lumiappaday

The first app I’ll show you is a demo of Amazon Kindle app. If you love reading books, you’ll love Amazon Kindle.

#1 Amazon Kindle.

Price: Free

Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/apps/48195fb4-ee0e-e011-9264-00237de2db9e

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zserovNVQ

In this video you’ll see:

• Installing apps from market place. Just find the app through search, (maybe check out details/reviews/screenshots) and click install. You’ll be directed to your applist and see the application install bar.
  • If you’ve used Kindle before, your books will be downloaded to archive. Once they’re there you don’t have to redownload them.
  • You can buy books directly from the kindle bookshop. Classics are free.
  • Where ever you access Kindle, it will sync up to where you last left.
  • Panoramic UI blends into the Lumia 800′s curved edges.
Page Controls:
  • Swipe between pages or tap at the left or right edge (I might have said something else by mistake in the video)
  • Tap in middle brings up options. You can change font size, screen brightness and the colour of the background (from white, to sepia, to a AMOLED-battery-friendly black).
  • Read either in landscape or portrait. It rotates 270 degrees. You might have a problem reading portrait if lying sideways in bed.

Rating: 8.75/10

Design: 8 (Looks like a great app, perhaps the store could have been given the same metro treatment?)
Usability: 8 (very easy to use the actual book itself. Downloading books is simple enough as well as managing your library. Not a 10 because the book store could be a little more in tune with Metro. When you ‘multitask’ and return, it will take half a second 1 second to resume as it tries to resync )
Performance: 9 (fast, reliable, does not crash, though you would need internet connection to sync up your books and if that’s slow it might take a while)
Price: 10 (Free :D Well the apps are and most books)
Conclusion: Must have install.

(I’m still working out what the format should be)

Tags:

Category: Applications, Lumiappaday, Nokia, Windows Phone

1. stylinred says:

i will say this, as ive said before, i really enjoy the look/feel of the apps on WP7
    The Kindle app is nice but i dont know about reading off the lumia screen compared to the Kindle?

I’ve got a Kobo and the screen is just so easy on the eyes

• Jay Montano says:

Oh if you’ve got a Kindle device, most likely you’ll prefer that. I haven’t and I read occasionally (on bus/train/just before bed) so find this OK enough as it’s always there in my pocket. Well except in bed.

Haven’t had a problem with my eyes yet, though I don’t read for more than an hour at a time.

2. Just Visiting says:

Can I just say, that ever since I’ve been considering purchasing a Windows Phone (which was July 2010) and since the release of this app (around October 2010), that the Kindle App is THE app that will be downloaded on my device first. I repeat, first! I am WP device-less still, and thus I am Kindle App-less(until Nokia gets their devices over here in the U.S.). My how I wish there was a Kindle app for my N8…..

I’ve got 10 must have WP apps on my list…Kindle App is FIRST! I repeat, FIRST :)

Thanks for demo-ing this, Jay!

3. Jesse says:

Nice, I love this feature! The Kindle App is a must have if you are an amazon customer, I use it daily. My only gripe with it is that I wish it had an orientation lock in the app. They need to add that!

• migo says:

Should be added into the OS actually. Devs should of course put in orientation locks as you want it/don’t want it on a case by case basis, but a built in orientation lock would be nice to compensate for lazy devs.

4. troll says:

one app more for wp, one app more meego fans are going to beg for.

Meego suck balls. Elop for the win.

This is my own opinion if course.

5. NokiaFan says:

Is it possible to read my own mobi books from other sources on the Kindle app reader or are there other epub reading alternative book readers as well?

6. Shamus says:

Jay,

I trust you’ll be doing the same sort of segments for S40 & Maemo6x (meego-harmattan)?

Thank-you.

• migo says:

At this point you might be able to do one app a week and have it last a while for the N9, but Jay doesn’t have one, so obviously he won’t be doing that.

S40 would be quite interesting though (although again, probably only for app a week). I’ve always liked Nokia’s low end offerings, very powerful feature wise and incredibly polished at the price.

• Oh Hei says:

Shamus…Why would Jay review apps for phones he doesn’t use, or phones that aren’t smartphones? I don’t even think that AAS or Conversations even reviews apps for S40/H-M devices.

• Cocco Bill says:

“..or phones that aren’t smartphones?”

But why is he reviewing WP7 apps then? WP7 is about as much a smartphone OS as S40.

7. jim says:

The best device for reading books is Kyobo eReader.

Kyobo Book Centre and Qualcomm have revealed the world’s first ereader to use a mirasol color e-paper display, the Android-based Kyobo eReader. On sale in South Korea today, priced at the equivalent of $310

We’ve been tracking mirasol for several years now, Qualcomm’s color display technology that promises color, video-capable e-paper with battery life akin to monochrome E Ink screens. This particular panel is a 5.7-inch, 1024 x 768 display using Qualcomm’s front-light technology that uses LEDs to make the eReader usable in darkness.

KYOBO eReader – Mirasol display

8. reebi says:

I’m glad you’re doing these cos my N8 USB port just broke and I’m getting a Lumia 800 to replace it.. No matter what I do the phone won’t respond when plugged in, it doesn’t even charge. It’ll be a backup with the Lumia as my main.

Kindle app is on my “to dl” list :D

9. White Owl says:

Unfortunately it is not available in all marketplaces. The greek marketplace doesn’t have it.

10. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
    SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted
    keywords but I’m not seeing very good success. If you know
    of any please share. Appreciate it!

11. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and
    I’m impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last
    part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.