Lumia 800 users: How is your battery holding up?

| November 26, 2011 | 99 Replies

It is debatable if this is the right place to post this, after all nobody wants a Windows Phone and in particular not a Nokia Windows Phone. (wink, wink) Anyway, there have been some concerns around the web regarding the battery life of the Lumia 800. Reports range from barely getting a day out of a charge to a mere 12 hours and that is, whatever way you spin it, just bad.

I’ve been carrying a Lumia 800 for a week or so now and I can’t say that battery life has been stellar so far. Most likely it is in part due to the usage patern one has with a new phone, but still battery life isn’t what I expected of it. The worst I’ve seen so far was in the first days of ownership, I could barely get 12 hours out of a charge. Now, a few days later, it has increased to about 18 hours with a maximum of 27 hours whilst being on battery save mode for about 20 hours of that time.

Nokia has said that there is a fix coming to change some things on the software side that should improve battery life and apparantly also allow faster charging, this should arrive somewhere in December.

So the question is, first of all; are there any Lumia 800 users on this blog ;) and second of all how is your battery life? And is it related to your usage or does it drain quickly even when you don’t really use it?

It might need a poll though? Jay, any help there?

Category: Nokia

Did you like my post? Want to read more of my brainwaves? Follow me on twitter @HarangueMNB and see what kind of other stuff I blurt out every now and then. Need to contact me directly? harangue.mnb@gmail.com

Sites That Link to this Post

1. BatteryCare 0.9.8 – Battery Care Software | Daily Freeware Download | December 8, 2011
  1. John says:

I’ve been a wee bit disappointed with it, but it seems to be getting used to my usage, and there have only been a couple of days where it has cut out before I’ve gone to bed. I have switched it to only check my gmail when i tell it (manually), and I”m getting push notifications for whatsapp, so it suits me usage… probably averaging about 17 hours, which is fine for how I use a phone.

Considering that I upgraded from an X6, which could run whatsapp and check my gmail hourly and still last 3 days, it is hardly ideal, but given that the phone is beautiful and has a much better screen, I’m not too disappointed as things stand.

A software update would be great, though.

• tim says:

my Nokia lumia 800 battery lasts 8 hours very poor and i was using it when it started to rain. it got a little wet not enough to break any phone but it has broken this one.

• Audley Forrester says:

I have been using my Nokia Lumia 800 just over a week, and although I like the phone I am very disappointed with the battery life. while out I wanted to phone my wife but the phone was dead, after only a few hours usage it was also very hot.I am seriously thinking of sending the phone back

2. napier says:

My God! 27 hours whilst being on battery save mode for 20! Now I know why it doesn’t have multitasking!

• John says:

Well, it *does* have mutlitasking, of course…

• incognito says:

Except that it doesn’t… It has fast passive app switching with a couple of exposed APIs for a very specific and limited set of background processes.

That can be called multitasking only with reality distortion field applied.

• Hypnopottamus says:

Yawn. Does it really matter if it can get done what you need to get done when you need itto get done?

• incognito says:

Oh, but it does:
            a) It’s not multitasking so it’s dishonest and misleading to call it as such
            b) It cannot ‘get done what I need to get done when I need to get it done’ – what if I need to run a custom server or a daemon in the background, say a SSH server and a rsync daemon I constantly keep up on my N900? Sure, you’d need a proper file system in the first place, which WP doesn’t have, for those to be useful but it’s just an example of something that requires a proper multitasking. There are tons of other things you cannot run in an app-switching environment.
            c) Just because you don’t need something that doesn’t mean that others don’t as well. My N900 practically replaced my MBP and it wouldn’t be able to do that without the ability to multitask, amongst other things. Most users don’t even know what kind of a limitation no-multitasking poses to developers of their favorite apps and services, let alone the things that in such environment are just impossible.
            4) Defending a limitation of any given platform is plain ludicrous even if it, to best of your knowledge, doesn’t affect you personally. We should strive to have more capable systems, not the other way around as the trend is in the past couple of years. I sure as hell don’t need fog lights on my car 99% of the time, but if the manufacturer decided to remove them I’d be having a hard time in the past few days when the fog was as thick as a whipped cream. I didn’t have a serious accident in the past 10 years so from a practical POV I don’t need airbags, but I know they are there and I’m quite sure I’ll be grateful to have them when/if I do have one. Same goes for any piece of technology. It never hurts to have extra features for the time you might need them, even under the premise that you’ll never use them. Today’s technology is quite versatile, you can’t even know if you need something or not until someone finds a way for that feature to fulfill your needs. Or create a brand new ‘need’ upon it.

Anyway, I’d not dare to call any OS smart, and by extension any device a ‘smartphone’, without the ability to multitask. If one can do only one thing at a time you wouldn’t call him exactly smart, wouldn’t you?

/no-multitasking rant off

• yasu says:

Couldn’t agree more.

• Mark says:

Whilst you’re right… will it matter for 99% of people?

I suspect not.

• Hypnopottamus says:

What you are doing w/ your phone is above and beyond what the normal everyday person does with their phone. You are treating your phone as a computer/server. Just because you can’t do whatever crazy thing you’re doing on a phone DOESN’T make it a feature phone. For the typical user, all they care about is if they can surf the net, listen to music, and do a few other things in the background. PERIOD.

Your analogy about a car and having certain safety features is a bit disingenuous. It’s apples and oranges. Those are safety features that are IMPORTANT. We are talking about a fucking phone where the average user only uses it to browse, for entertainment, and for communication. Being able to do these things simultaneously is what matters to the average user.

Finally, if we were to stick with your definition of a smartphone, then I guess that pretty much leaves out Android and iOS. I’m sorry, but that’s a pretty demented view of mobile phone tech. The average user is not a tech geek nor should they be required to be.

• yoyo says:

Do you what disturbs me the most of the WP fanboys; they constantly describe the “typical” users as ignorant stupid ass people who don’t know anything about features. It’s the American way of doing business; My client is stupid and simple, so lets make something that is stupid and simple. This is probably right in many cases, but the fact that the “typical” doesn’t know much about features doesn’t mean that he will not appreciate the fact that it does have that feature.

I had the same discussion with iPhone users for years. I said you don’t have even videocalling. As always they replied with; you don’t need that. And now the same users are saying Facetime this Facetime that.

It’s becoming so lame to hear over and over again that you don’t need a lacking feature. I have news for you NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY really needs a smartphone.

Ps.: Do mind I really like WP7, I just hate ignorant people.

• OSagnostic says:

I class myself as a typical user. Manufacturers with aim to make the user experince as good as they can make it for the 95%. If they try to cater for the needs of the additional 5% it will be both expensive and probably detrimental to the 95%.

Note: The percentages used were determined using a wet finger in the air.

“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few”

• yoyo says:

An typical user surfing on MNB and explaining other people how WM works, right. And I am an elf who likes to ride unicorns…

• Hypnopottamus says:

Someone PLEASE tell me why an average user would neet to ” run a custom server or a daemon in the background, say a SSH server and a rsync daemon” on their phone like the above poster states.

Secondly, we are strictly talking about MULTITASKING and whether or not a phone needs to have “true multitasking” ability to be considered a smartphone, like the poster above is implying.
                  I’m gonna ignore the fact that you just called me a WP fanboy and ignorant, because you obviously misunderstood what this coversation is about.

• jason says:

Im more of a typical user…I want to be able to run Angry Birds, Remote Destop, and word editing at the same time. I want my edited video to be processing while I update thefeuchts.com or read engadget. Some of those things can be done with REALLY clever suspend and switch, but some of them NEED multitasking.

• incognito says:

Ummm, here’s what my setup does, amongst other things – whenever I’m in reach of my home WiFi it syncs with my computer and backs up pretty much anything I decide to. I can lose the phone any day and I would lose at most 24hr of communication/data/whatever. I don’t even need to think about those things, everything is done automatically just by walking into my flat. And as a bonus, I can remote brick it any time I want if I lose it or somebody steals it.

All that without exposing my system to any 3rd party service or asking the manufacturer for permission. I don’t even need to have a computer – all that can be stored on my WiFi router.

You think that an ‘average user’ cannot benefit from those things? And that’s just one scenario, there are plenty of other use cases where true multitasking is clearly beneficial, like P2P, background optimizing, tracking, spreading the workload through several apps… I’m not saying this to bash the WP7 (there are much more questionable things about it than true multitasking), but saying that there is no benefits to true multitasking for an average user is just wrong.

• Hypnopottamus says:

Those would all be very nice to have. But the average Joe wouldn’t even begin to know how to set that up.

“I’d not dare to call any OS smart, and by extension any device a ‘smartphone’, without the ability to multitask.”

Again, you are looking at this from a tech geek perspective. Your above quote excludes every other OS besides Symbian and MeeGo. Do you really think Android and iOS are dumbphones.

• Jesse says:

Actually I would say no smart person would run an SSH server on their phone unless it is for a very targeted solution which is defiitely possible in Windows Phone.

It is much better to run such services on dedicated servers that interact with your phone. You will never be able to duplicate the service level of a dedicated server with fault tolerant services and hardware in a cell phone, at least not today.

Cell phones are much more than terminals today but they still cannot be relied upon for dedicated server tasks that need to run 24/7, nor do they need to be. You can buy or build a dedicated server for less money than a smartphone.

And you also do not need a file system in the traditional sense for such a feature. Windows Phone has a very secure way to store application specific files, any developer would be able to write and their own local Web Service to accomodate this.

• Doffen says:

So WP is strictly for Joe average. Good to have that concluded once and for all…

• incognito says:

If the ‘typical user’ only cares to surf the net, listen to music and talk with other people – why does he need a smartphone in the first place? The Nokia Asha line can do all that no questions asked for a fraction of a price of the things we today call smartphones.

And yes, my definition does leave Android, iOS and many others out of the smartphone league. As it would 5 years ago, prior to Apple’s redefinition of what smartphone is. By Apple’s standards Nokia Asha 303 is also a smartphone – it has a touchscreen, it can use 3rd party apps, it has a browser, it can play music and videos, it has all the general phone features… If the first iPhone was a smartphone, Nokia Asha 303 is a superphone!

Btw. I’d dare to say that iPhone is at least closer to being a smartphone than Android is – at least it executes native code instead of running a glorified virtual machine. On the other hand, Android has at least a decent file system where you can re-use installed libraries and things like that. Sure, you can jailbreak the former and get a rudimentary FS access, and you can use native code and libraries for some specific parts of your app on Android, albeit at a risk of severe fragmentation, but architecture-wise they both lack the fundamental functionality to call them `smart` in my book.

And would you care to explain how having the multitasking ability and a proper file system w/ shared resources requires a tech geek to use? Are you saying that every Windows (desktop), MacOS X, GNU/Linux (desktop), Symbian, WM, webOS, Maemo and MeeGo user is – a tech geek? If that’s the case, I’m rather pleased with the state of the world is in – that means that majority of people are tech geeks and not ‘typical users’ as you’re describing them.

• Hypnopottamus says:

No, you are describing a computer. We are talking about phones. And since you consider iOS and Android as NOT smartphones, that’s all anyone needs to know about your demented view about mobile tech.

• napier says:

*Sigh* I remember the ads for the N95 all those years ago: It’s what computers have become.
                    My, how we’ve regressed…

• OSagnostic says:

“It never hurts to have extra features for the time you might need them”

Unresticted multi-tasking has an effect on the battery. Asking users to manage these tasks is not very user friendly (think back to windows mobile task manager).

• incognito says:

Who said anything about ‘asking users’? It’s developer’s responsibility to use the given resources wisely. If your app doesn’t need to perform anything in the back, then don’t bloody make it do anything. It won’t waste any resources, bar the bytes in RAM, but then again RAM spends exactly the same amount of energy when full and when empty. True, if you have too many apps running at the same time they will consume all the RAM and then extra energy will be used for writing to the virtual memory/swap, but that can be remedied by using app-level fast-switching instead of system-level one – i.e. the developer is again responsible on how his app performs.

Users don’t need to be asked anything apart from choosing apps that are good, written by responsible developers. The OS itself can notify them that some app is wasting too much resources and prompt them to close it if they don’t needed, or an automatic mechanism can be implemented for that if the user chooses to. Further, if the user decides to use some app despite its woeful performance he’ll know to close it once he doesn’t need it.

There really is no reason not to have your cake and eat it too. Multitasking kills battery is plain FUD spread by Apple, nobody even questioned its usefulness prior to that. And just like many other things, once Apple manages to implement them properly, they will suddenly become useful, magic, revolutionary, how-could-we-live-without-it-till-now features.

• 352x416 says:

I totaly agree

• migo says:

Doesn’t matter what it’s called, Symbian multitasking crashes, which is worse than having none at all.

• Gst says:

Multitasking in wp7 is more or less similar to iphone4 multitasking,in fact two os’s have more similarity in terms of restriction..now it has same battery issue like that of ios..

3. Paul Grenfell says:

I fail to see why Smartphones have such lousy batteries to start with.. I mean, the whole point of smartphone is user connected experience, yet i see threads everywhere, trying extract every last drop from their batteries , by killing apps, SW updates, dropping widgets, switching off Net access and so on.. Its ridiculous..
    At least with earlier models, you could get extended batteries for them. It really frustrates me having to be careful with phone use during the day and watching the Battery Icon..I shouldnt have to.. !

• Jay Montano says:

They seem to do a lot of stuff, and when used a lot die quickly. That’s what happened with my N900 and SGSII. A new issue now seems to be with these beefier processors. Not necessarily necessary in some but they do take a lot of drain, more so possibly that the power advantage they provide.

I do miss owning the E6 and not actually ever worrying about NOT using the browser to save battery life for later in the day.

• Paul Grenfell says:

I know what you mean.. I miss the awesome extended batteries for earlier models,..I had 2800mah for my old N97..Never had to watch usage with that..
        N8 was worst i had , then E7, now what? I need something that will go the daily distance.. I have to carry pocket charger around all the time.

• napier says:

My N8′s been fantastic! I get about 2 days with moderate usage. I took a 6hr flight two weeks ago, and tracked it using Sportstracker. Still had >50% battery at the end. I was quite pleased :)

• j says:

hey symbian is the best os in terms of battery usage.
          my c7 lasted with no problems for two days. n9 isnt bad in this term (1 1/2 day for me) but i dont like it to charge my phone every day!

• napier says:

Yeah. I genuinely don’t worry about my phone going dead. I don’t even charge it every night. It still seems to go on forever even when powersaving kicks in at 10%.

• migo says:

BBOS is definitely better than Symbian when it comes to battery usage. E-series have good battery life because of a small screen large battery combination, not because the OS is the most efficient.

4. Zothor says:

seems like alot better then mine i can only get like 9 hours with a full charge :( and i only use whatsapp like 2 times a day it’s very depressing, i hope that the update will fix this problem and if it doesn’t im gonna bring it back for a new one

• John says:

That really is disappointing. It has been 13 hours since my last charge, I’m currently listening to Spotify over 3G, and have been for the last hour, and the Battery Saver page in Settings is saying I have 5 hours left… 37% remaining battery, so i’m quite happy with that, given that it is 00:34!

5. Jay Montano says:

Mine is fine. With the way I was using my Omnia7 that would bring it to a grinding halt soon after lectures, my Lumia still has juice left now.

But Steve’s Lumia (who’s doing the smartphone n00b thing) is apparently not lasting as long. It’s a Euro batch, and has also oddly locked up one time. I don’t know what’s going on there. Maybe a batch thing. Also, he’s always using it. ALWAYS. Possible curse of new toy thing.

I’m really concerned why the battery life on mine is OK though. I really hope they didn’t give some kind of special longer lasting blogger edition. Some other bloggers on twitter have mentioned great battery life too, whilst others (still also Nokia fans) are tweeting that the phone is already just 25% after 6 hours.

This is quite concerning, and more so since Nokia has apparently accepted fault and are issuing a battery fix.

• llaadd says:

hey, well mine is fine too, if anything I’d say it’s better then my past phones.

I currently have facebook, twitter, 15 min e-mail checks, calls/texts thhough the day, and other stuff and it lasts 18+ hours, oddly for the first dew days i put on charge overnight but when i did it still showed about half battery left!!!

I will be doing a battery test soon, but just so you can get a gist of what made my phone die was streaming the mix radio (not pre-downloaded!) for about 2 hours and above normal use that day in general, it finally died after 12 hours. My other phones wouldn’t have made it past 6 hours, if that with that much usage!

I got a couple of days off next week so I will be doing a proper battery test, so keep an eye out for that!

p.s. mine was from purchased via Carphone Warehouse, not given by Nokia.

• BaBiS says:

thanks spotting the shop mate
        i have seen revious in the carphone aerea for this phone and all users are giving 4-5 (top 5)star rating on battery
        i will keep carphone in mind…is near me but the price is stopping me
        thanks

• BaBiS says:

hi me again,sorry for my English
        few questions please
        have you got wifi off?
        is battery saving on?
        it suppose to be good singal with this phone is the same or more bad?

f… it maybe i will spent that 470 for it

thanks in advance and i will bookmark this page to see your battery tests

also if you go to nokia forum discutions the technician are aware of the problem and watching opinions….so if you post there as well… they may take notice

some of them reporting that with the charge never reach the battery capacity 15oo ma but stops to 1200miliambers
        it may be something dogy in the charge

• llaadd says:

Hi,
          1. WiFi was on, but for 7-8 hours,I was in an area without any WiFi for me to connect to. The same day when I was streaming the music, it was all over 3g.
          2. Battery saving was off, not used this yet on my phone.
          3. I have not noticed any issue with signal but not yet tested this properly, it I be part of a review after a week of use I’ll be doing soon.

• Deep Space Bar says:

think it’s those wasteful tile animations you can’t turn off lol..this is why i love symbiam

6. BaBiS says:

i think is the batch
    it maybe either the phone or faulty battery
    at nokia forums some people has done allready updates and did not helped

7. Shay says:

Battery life is not good at all on the Lumia 800. Many UK users have been returning their newly purchased Lumia 800 Contract back within their 7/14 days return policy.

Even with a fix on the way by Nokia it won’t improve the battery lifetime by a lot. However the the question is are customers going to get the update in December or let’s say after 4+ months later? Nokia has a bad reputation for software updates/release.

On the other hand I have Nokia N9 and the battery life of that is far better than the Lumia 800 and they both use the same battery.

• Shay says:

Forget to mention it’s WP7 OS the way it uses the battery. I have had a Samsung Omnia 7 and that too did not last a day.

• Jay Montano says:

How’s your Lumia vs Omnia7? My Lumia’s lasting longer, but that’s only possibly because my Omnia lasted barely a day. I’m on day 2 with about 20% left. I’m going to put in back on charger in a mo. Have got lots of things pushing updates though.

• j says:

well the n9 has simply the better os!

• Mapantz says:

Not sure what networks allow a return on contract once the phone has been used. The conditions require the phone not to even be switched on if you want to return it within a 14 day period. That’s why i told three to get knotted and moved to another network.

• BaBiS says:

it depence the network
        if you are in UK you have the right to cancel your order with in 7/14 days
        if you cancel the contact then of course phone is going back
        three at least to me is the worst customer service and so company
        up i have an example with a stolen phone that was sold by phones4u

8. Sun Down says:

Checked out the Nokia support forums an hour ago. Lots of dissapointed users, even the veterans. Hopefully both the described updates roll in quicker than usual.

9. spacemodel says:

Jay, any news on the update for the camera?

• Jay Montano says:

What update? I hope there is one as the video C. autofocus on mine is DREADFUL. I’d rather not have it if it’s going to be this shit. Nokia even uploaded video samples on their own account with this dreadful sample. It is soo bad. It’s ok outdoors. Indoors, no chance.

By comparison, N8 CAF video flies.

• spacemodel says:

Yep, same experience over here.
        I remember a tweet by Damian Dinning a couple of weeks ago that they were working on an update and I wondered if you had any news on that.
        I’m testing for my work the Lumia for a couple of days now and I must say that the camera is really disappointing.
        I mean, top Nokia phones always had such great cameras, unbelievable that the Lumia doesn’t reach that high standard.
        On topic, the performance of the battery is mediocre, it’s hardly a workday, I hope the update comes in due course.
        Other first impressions: it’s a very smooth and fluid OS, quite easy to work with, this weekend I will take a deep dive into the Lumia.

10. BaBiS says:

i tell you the true and i know they will delete this post

i was just about to get one lumia from the 1st day
    the only reason it makes me wait is because i just upgrade from c7 to 701 and could not really pay 470 UK pounds from the carphonewarehouse(no gyroscope,no nfc no front camera, no extentend memory)
    now i am reading around a respected number of it has got battery problem and are all around europe

Here the true
    all these handsets of 7/14 days returned handsets, i am reading in nokia forums(it has to be as new to be returned)… they will go back to the market

i had bad expirience from the phones4u….(but all are doing the same)

i got in the past from them an unlocked sim free and when i pluged in my sim card was not working
    i plug in an insternationall sim thati had with me(pay as you go) and when it uses O2 singal it says network locked

i rang O2 even if i was not customer of them and i explained what happened and they told me the phone was reported stolen and was blocked by O2

returned to phones4u of course they gave back the money … but it was one of the 7/14 days money back

NOW i really love nokia and if the lumia goes soon down to 300 pounds sim free i will get one still even if i know it maybe from returns

just to have and a windows phone

PS
    i belive nokia IMMEDIATLY should start give more notice to the symbian just incase…..

11. Carbonix says:

Maybe it’s an issue with background processes not sleeping properly, or weak network signals causing the phone to keep powering up the radio?

iOS 5 also caused similar problems. Heck, the latest Maps update on my Symbian phone reduces battery life because some background task doesn’t quit properly. If I’m in an area with weak coverage, the phone drains the battery by continually searching for a signal, logging on, losing the signal and trying again… What we really need on all these new phones are replaceable batteries. No battery anxiety when you’ve got a stonking big 3000 mAH unit ;)

• Paul Grenfell says:

If you see something like an N9, E7, 800 with a 3000mah battery. Post it to me asap.

• Paul Grenfell says:

And how silly is it that you have to shut down Wi-Fi,notifications,lower screen brightness. We should never have to micromanage Wi-Fi, 3G and GPS. They should be on, all the time, ready to use.

• ashok pai says:

no, IMHO – they all consume a lot of battery, earlier devices did not have super bright screens that consumed a ton of power, so no matter what platform – wifi/ gps/ BT will be an issue with battery

• Paul Grenfell says:

Precisely, and illustrates the point of having adequate batteries needed to compensate.. Eg, the N8 had a 1200 mah battery, yet a 1500mah, just a fraction of the size bigger, could have been fitted and nobody would have noticed..except the user.. Some even managed to fit the 1500mah into the N8..
          Making the situation even more ridiculous , is manufacturing the phones with sealed in batteries, making it impossible for users to switch and change on the go.
          At least Blackberry give you that option and make a spare battery/charger pack for you in their accessories line up.
          Beats me how business users manage with the latest Smartphones, when even the average Joe Noob cant even get decent battery usage times.
          Its a major problem that needs addressing, just look on the net for battery usage complaints.

• migo says:

Battery size has always been a problem with Nokia. The N95 was fat, yet it had a tiny battery. The N900 had the same battery as the 5230. They were trying to take too much advantage of their economy of scale.

• ashok pai says:

yeah, it’s beyond me why Nokia earlier chose lowest Ram, lowest battery capacity, lowest cpu.

imagine how powerful their cell would be if they had average cpu (1ghz, 1500mah battery and 512 mb ram) – all of these would have been pretty inexpensive – probably within 20-30 dollars, the resulting phone with low symbian power consumption and low on resource consumption would have made the last generation symbian phones like n8 a killer deal!

12. Simo says:

I don’t understand how the Lumia 800′s battery life can be so bad when it’s the same one used in the N9. As far as I’m aware, Windows Phone isn’t such a resource hog. I have an N9, and though MeeGo-Harmattan is reasonably efficient with resources, I can’t imagine it’s that much better than WP.

My N9 initially had miserable battery life. But after several discharges, being sure to to run the battery all the way down and charge it fully, it increased nicely. I’m now easily getting a day’s worth in, though I’ve disabled push email and keep it only on 3g. When my day is done I typically have at least 20% remaining. I use the browser and camera most.

Perhaps after a few weeks training the battery the same improvements can be had in the Lumia 800? Could it be that the batches produced by Compal are the ones having the battery life problems?

13. zillar says:

I work in a phoneshop and have a lumia 800, I’ve found my battery is lasting around a day and a half to two days depending on usage. What i have to say is that compared to other ‘smartphones’ such as i phone and galaxy s 2 its on par, in fact our technical team say if you get longer than a day out of these 2 phones mentioned your doing well.
    i did expect a longer battery life as i also have a htc radar and that on standby last a massive 10 days without usage. But this is the way all smartphones are these days, battery doesn’t seem to be something makers care about.
    i have a mate with a htc desire hd and he has everything turned off and screen on the lowest setting so you can hardly see it and it still only lasts 9 hours and thats with a bigger battery he brought.

• Jesse says:

The Windows Phone site only lists the Lumia as having 8 hours of battery life and most blogs doing video rundown tests are saying less than that.

If you are playing games, talking on the phone and watching videos a lot I think your batter will most likely die in 4 to 5 hours.

If you are interested in true battery life of a device go to bing or google and type “product name battery rundown test”.

Battery life will of course vary based on users. For example the HTC Radar last two days for me easily because I mostly do work related tasks on it but my cousin who is an avid gamer and youtube junkie gets through maybe one day at the most.

14. Oleg Derevenetz says:

I constantly hear about battery problems in WP7 phones (not only Lumia, but also in others, like HTC Mozart). This is realy sad in comparison with my N8 which works about 2 days without charging with average use activity (reading fb2 ebooks, Internet browsing, GMail mailbox inspection every 15 minutes, sometimes maps, etc). I doubt that I will abandon Symbian in the foreseeable future.

• Oleg Derevenetz says:

I forgot to mention that runtime is observed on 3G. If I switch to 2G, there is about 3 days of runtime is possible.

Recently there was a poll on one of Russian IT forums regarding primary phone model, and many geeks are using two phones – Android for Internet browsing/geeky stuff and Nokia S40 or something like to not remain without a connection when Android battery is dead. I think this is really funny :) I think that Symbian smartphones is a golden mean in this case.

• migo says:

Nah, only E-series have good battery life. The rest of them aren’t any better than Android, and if I’m going to get a phone for its battery life, I’ll go all the way for one with excellent life. S40 it is. Especially with the modern ones, the Asha 300 looks like an excellent backup phone for my usage. Symbian you get a not as good Smartphone OS with not as good battery life.

• Oleg Derevenetz says:

May be N8 battery life is weak comparing with E series, I don’t know, because I never have one. But it is definitely A LOT better than, for example, Android-based Samsung Galaxy S, which did not survive the single day with me. S40 can survive for a long time, generally because there is no e-book reading on them, no Internet browsing, no e-mail and so on. N8 have significant better battery life than all Android smartphones I have used. There is no problem to charge phone once in 2-3 days, but if you are forced to charge it 2 times a day, than it is horrible. There is no fun for me to take two phones instead of one… Why not three, not five in the end? :)

• migo says:

Some Androids have particularly bad battery life, others have decent battery life, and others have very good battery life (Galaxy S II). You’re picking an average Symbian phone with a particularly unimpressive Android. It’s quite easy to do it the other way around.

• Jesse says:

For those tasks almost all Windows Phone devices will last a similar amount of time. Gaming, video, calls, audio, etc are the types of use that drain batteries. Any tasks that use the CPU/GPU/HDD/Radios a lot will use up your battery.

Internet, ebooks, maps and mail use very little resouces and none of them use any resource in a coninuous manner.

15. Andre C says:

I’d say it’s normal. Android phones aren’t exactly better.

1. People tend to overuse their newly purchased phones, repeatedly taking it out of their pockets, locking and unlocking it and continuously opening and closing apps, just to have a glance at it, so it seems to them that battery life isn’t good.

2. At first they don’t care about turning wi-fi off, reducing brightness, etc. imagining that it should last longer.

Still, it could be that a number of them have faulty hardware and/or batteries.

16. Patata says:

What did you expect? It isn’t Symbian anymore. The battery lifetime is just what you can expect with a “modern” smartphone OS. One of the reasons why Nokia had better Battery Lifetimes was in fact Symbian and S40. Not saying that wp is bad because of it, but windows phone, iOS and Android are not comparable with Symbian at all. Just check how other devices with wp/android/iOS perform ;)

• Deep Space Bar says:

+1 symbian ftw….can’t wait for carla updates and donna with dual core and Nokia better have bigger cap batteries 1200mah is not doing it 1500mah should be standard on all smartphones that Nokia makes regardless the size

17. dss says:

The problem is, consumers don’t really do their research before they buy something. If they did, everyone one will know that WP7, despite all the limitations, sucks at energy usage, and buying a device with it.. isn’t a smart decision.

The N8 has a 1200 mah battery and it lasts trough a day without a problem with heavy usage, and real multitasking.. oh and, when you actually take a picture, it looks good… So if it had a 1500 mah batt or bigger like most new smartphones, wp7,ios,and andro would look really funny

• dss says:

Does the lumia have a stand by clock like all other symbian devices ? Probably not, if it did.. it would probably die within 2 hours

18. MyNokiaLife says:

I’m getting great battery life with the N9, much longer than the E7 although the E7 wasn’t a problem. We are asking more and more from our phones through different apps and if I’m having any problems with the phones I delete the last app and that seems to solve the issues.

19. Gelas says:

this isn’t good .. while I am pro N9, and doesn’t really like the idea of having Windows in N9, it sadden me to see Nokia in this position .. they are already in such a bad situation and now this ..

hopefully they can push the update as soonest ..

• migo says:

Given the iPhone 4S is having major battery life issues at the moment, some temporary problems on the Lumia 800 won’t be deal killers. All Nokia really has to do is make sure they have a good warranty solution for those who have poor battery life (assuming it’s some lemons in the batch).

20. bobhyde says:

Could the WP7 user interface be the problem?

Usually the biggest eater of power is the screen.

And on WP mobiles those tiles cover most of the screen leaving little background to spare.

Nokia’s CLD technonogy works best by improving the contrast between a black background and static foreground objects.

Not sure if it is work that well on Lumia.

Maybe a redesign of the tiles such that their panes black would help.

Also now that they are active on Mango also not helping.

Maybe lower the pocessor clock would also help. Could be limited until needed for video, games etc.

• migo says:

The newer snapdragons are actually more power efficient than the older 1GHz ones, so that wouldn’t be the solution. Since the tiles take up most of the screen, I think you might be on to something with black tiles. Not sure what the best background colour to go with it would be though, as white would negate the advantages of black tiles.

21. Tak says:

My wifes Lumia is MILES better than my Samsung Galaxy Nexus…or any other Samsung that I have ever seen.

22. stuart says:

My battery sucks lasts half a day with screen turned down , auto update off etc etc , called t mobile as still within my return in 7 days , tech lass said she had only herd of one other customer with same issue , she did confirm that on release there was a batch that had problems , she offered me a new one to replace it when they revive new stock , but I said forget it so now she sending out a iPhone 4s white , what’s the point in a phone with all the great stuff if its just gonna drain battery nice phone just shame its to power hungry and not even dual core,:D

23. stream2stream says:

Well, I turned on the option “Turn on battery saver now” and its given me 2 days running on the Lumia. At first I thought was a firmware issue but, I stumbled across a page on the phone that displayed daemon task, it came up the first time I went into App Highlights. It showed a list of applications that were running as daemons, it allowed me to disable them as back ground tasks, suddenly the battery life went up. Now, can you believe it, I can’t get this page up again and I’ve searched the net for something like it, and there is nothing out there!!!

So I suspect it’s the way the OS is handling daemon tasks, they are either running and polling the OS rather than operating in a interruptive manner?

24. barry t says:

i bought one the other week its by far not ready to go on sale call quality issues, battery issues, music playbac sound issues where does it end bad move nokia i got rid of my iphone 4 for this piece of crap now im going back to apple!.

25. barry t says:

i bought the lumia one the other week its by far not ready to go on sale call quality issues, battery issues, music playbac sound issues where does it end bad move nokia i got rid of my iphone 4 for this piece of crap now im going back to apple!.

26. bobhyde says:

which video do you want us to watch with regards to reported battery issues on Lumia?