Kik Messenger Now Available on NOKIA Store + Initial Review

| December 1, 2011 | 26 Replies

About two or three weeks ago the developers of the cross-platform messaging application Kik promised us a impending ‘beta-testers’ version of Kik for symbian, to my surprise the link I got in my email was for the final official version being distributed over the NOKIA store. Wonderful fast job by all the Kik Devolopers! thank you. (Live-Profile I have nothing to say to you.)

Grab it here:

Kik Messenger is the totally free, crazy-fast cross-platform messenger app that connects you to your friends in real-time. Use Kik to chat, share pictures, plan outings with groups, and stay connected to the people who matter most.

You ’re going to fall in love with Kik Messenger. Here’s why:

* Hands-down the fastest smartphone messenger
* Instant message notifications – Sent, Delivered, Read
* Beautiful look and feel

*note: I will add some screenshots as soon as I get the app up and running.

Update:

Ok I got the application installed and registered, unfortunately none of my contacts have their numbers on their kik account so I’ll have to add them via their User-names one by one. Thankfully the kind people at kik were kind enough to give us a mock account to talk to (similar to cleverbot I guess) so I gave the app a little spin.

So a quick run through: for those of you who aren’t familiar to kik it’s a instant messaging application for multiple platforms that uses WiFi/Mobile Data, the main advantage of all these applications (Whatsapp, Kik, Liveprofile) is push support for instantaneous message retrieval as well as being Extremly light on the data plan. Currently Kik supports iPhone, Android, Symbian, BB & WP 7.5

Here are a couple of screenshots and first thoughts about Kik running on my N8:

I have no idea why But I REALLY liked the anna squirkle icone for kik, I think it’s the dark grey in it but it just made it look really nice and professional (as promised).

Plain old start-up screen. (Auto-startup on reboot CAN BE disabled from the options menu, something that isn’t present in Whatsapp at the moment)

A nice and simple startup registration screen, where you set your real name/email as well as the username you choose to be identified by through other users (one of the advantages of Kik is the ability to add users with only a username no need for a phone number)

Of course you can still find contacts using their phone number, provided they supplied it upon registration (optional).

A default added contact is the “Kik Team” which I guess is there to check if the service is running properly, or just to pass time if like me you have no friends (Forever Alone).

Of course you can add smileys as well as attachments to your messages. (There is also a group messaging feature but I haven’t tried it out yet- no friends and all)

Over all as promised the app is extremely nice looking (obviously made by someone who understands how Symbian should run).
BUT (there always is) there are two problems:
1- No splitscreen input! this is almost a deal-breaker for me, I hate seeing the ugly white panel covering up my input spot FIX IT PLEASE!
2- Apparently Kik isn’t very nice with batteries (pulling 200Ma per sec when backgrounded!!!) which is considered a big problem.
More details about the Battery situation here:
But all in all Thank you kik developers team, looking forward to some updates.

Category: Applications, Battery Life, MNB, Nokia, Nseries, Reviews, Symbian, Symbian^3

1. David says:

Unfortunately, battery life isn’t so good with it:

2. migo says:

I tried the J2ME version (for BBOS) a month back, it ended up not as reliable as WhatsApp.

3. sgman says:

do they show interest to support n9?

4. Osman says:

It’s not available on Nokia Store any more.

5. yemko can also troll says:

No longer available @store

6. JD! says:

Hope they fix the battery issue and bring it back on store.

I would love to try it out…

7. James says:

It’s in the Nokia store here in the USA. I find the app unstable on my N8.

8. inSyt says:

Good app, especially like the delivery notifications and ability to not autostart/logout of the app. I do have 2 issues tho. It doesn’t support older symbians, this could have easily being eliminated by using qt. And secondly there’s the battery issue, why don’t apps like these use nokias notifications api?

9. Omaima says:

Please can we get kik messenger for nokia e72?

10. Calum says:

Plz get on Nokia e63

11. Calum says:

Plz get Nokia e63

12. Badr says:

Hi,
    The issue of not seeing anyone on your KIk contacts list -other than the funny KIK mock account- has become really annoying!
    I have over 500 contacts in my Nokia N8 phone book, but still can’t find any of them on the KIK contacts; it doesn’t make sense that none of them opted to enter their mobile number, does it?
    I find that really ridiculous, and it makes “WhatsApp” a much better cross-platform messaging app for me.

The (no need to enter a phone number when registering) turned out to be a downside of this app, after all.
    Now, is there really a way around this thing or do I have to call everyone on my phone and ask them for their KIK nickname?!

13. hania says:

can you tell us how to get it for e72?

14. hania says:

can you tell us how to get it for e72? because im not able to download from the store

15. Jojo says:

Kik is a gret Messenger, easy and fast.

BUT not available for BELLE.

WHY ?

Wuld like it soon on nokia store for Belle!!!!

16. Yet another first person shooter game this time around, but the first Far Cry was quite good.
    As Atlantis emerged from the blackness of space and into the blistering lights
    of the John F. ”. In exchange you’ll have to pay a bit more for the GT 220, as most models are around $60 or $70 dollars. Do you really want to see the hard-earned money of you and your spouse end up in the bank account of a lawyer who doesn’t even know you.
    Those pain killers and medications hide the problem without dealing with the true cause.
    This was the time when broadband internet was still in
    its infancy and uploading the revised pages could be nothing
    short of tedious with a slow phone line connectivity.
    In an effort to counter the lack of support from Microsoft, an SVG plug-in for Internet Explorer
    was developed and supported by Adobe. * You’re realistic about what you expect from others. A Whole Lot of Exciting Options to Choose from Advanced car wash equipment use low-flow technology that drastically reduces drying times for carpets and upholstery.

17. offshid says:

I’m in Iran and ovi store it’s not available in here :( so what can i do? my phone is N97 and i think kik is not available for it
    is it?

18. Eli says:

The ovi store is not work in my country, what can i do??

19. Sadiq says:

Pls what about kik for nokia 305

20. web site says:

For an incredible detailed explanation please view this page :: web site

21. Web site says:

For a better solution please checkout this site; Web site

22. website says:

For a wonderful solution please have a look at this
    site … website

23. Madeleine says:

For an incredible response please check out this site :: http://family.caincheon.or.kr/canon_counsel/1680321Madeleine,

24. Ruben says:

whoah this weblog is fantastic i like reading your articles.
    Stay up the good work! You know, a lot of persons are looking round for this information,
    you could help them greatly.

For a better solution please check out this page
    - http://Independent.co.uk/ (Ruben)