Video: Enable Nokia N9 in Landscape Mode using N9 Tweak

| December 23, 2011 | 80 Replies

Gen tipped this in yesterday, it’s a video showing how to enable landscape mode for Nokia N9. Surprised it’s not shown up elsewhere yet as it’s a very useful tweak for those who want to view their N9′s three main screens in landscape. Makes it feel more N900 like.

All three screens are in landscape.

Horizontal swiping to switch screens

Mod takes a few seconds to do. Instructions:

Enable N9 Homescreen in Landscape mode using N9 Tweak

1. First download N9 Tweak
  2. Open N9 Tweak and activate Landscape (type ‘L’)
  3. If it asks for the password is should be ‘rootme’ make sure there is no capital letters in the password

Video  by

Thanks for the tip, Gen!

Category: Maemo, MeeGo, N9 Hacks, Nokia, Nseries, Video

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Nokia N9: landscape mode παντού, με ανεπίσημο tweak | Digital Life | December 24, 2011
  2. Loke Dog » Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | December 25, 2011
  3. تفعيل خاصية محتوى الشاشة بالعرض في نوكيا N9 | مدونة جولاتيمدونة جولاتي | December 25, 2011
  4. > a cell phone number » Blog Archive » Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | December 25, 2011
  5. Pierwsza, nieoficjalna modyfikacja dla Nokii N9 [Video] | Nokia N9 Blog | December 25, 2011
  6. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | All The Technology Crunch You Get | December 25, 2011
  7. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | All Talks About Technology & Games | December 25, 2011
  8. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | CFA Forum | Discuss the CFA | December 25, 2011
  9. Jacob Leisher » Blog Archive » Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | December 25, 2011
  10. Trick your Nokia N9 into landscape mode with a simple modification [VIDEO] | Gadgets | December 25, 2011
  11. Welcome to my blog! » Blog Archive » Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | December 26, 2011
  12. Buy Adderall Information So You Can Make the Right Choice » Blog Archive » Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | December 26, 2011
  13. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak - Tech Sparx | December 26, 2011
  14. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | CFA Hub | Pass the CFA | DESTROY the CFA! | December 26, 2011
  15. My Mobiles» Blog Archive » Trick your Nokia N9 into landscape mode with a simple modification [VIDEO] | December 26, 2011
  16. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | Gamez Menu | December 26, 2011
  17. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | bunyretasyru | December 26, 2011
  18. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | befasaraso | December 26, 2011
  19. Nokia N9 obtiene vista apaisada mediante hack | smartGSM Teléfonos Celulares | December 26, 2011
  20. Nokia N9 gets unofficial UI tweak, makes MeeGo lie down and play landscape | GizmoNews.Info | December 27, 2011
  21. El Nokia N9 recibe una nueva actualización - tuexperto.com | December 27, 2011
  22. Trick your Nokia N9 into landscape mode with a simple modification [VIDEO] | TheGadgetMedia | December 28, 2011
  23. Review Nokia N9 | Free Bird | February 13, 2012
  24. Nokia N9 64GB Unlocked GSM Smartphone – International Version – Black | NewPremiumGifts.com | August 8, 2012
  1. oswald says:

there’s an App in the Nokia Store that enables this option too, so u don’t need to do this tweak.
    the app works great and it appears like an option in the Configuration menu.

2. N9 User says:

I personally don’t miss this feature in N9. I hardly ever use it at landscape mode other than in some web pages.

Actually most of the time I use the events/feed screen and it works perfectly as it is now. I need icon screen just to make a phone call or start some apps. I think the most useless homescreen in N9 is the open apps screen, I hardly ever need it. Of course it is necessary sometimes to close apps but it feels like it’s waste to use a whole homescreen to it.

• Flava says:

Whatttt!?? Open apps screen is useless? LOL then how’d you switching between apps? Very smart indeed.

• Guest says:

You’re using your N9 wrong. You should rarely close apps. Just switch between them in the open apps screen. That’s how it’s designed to be used and that’s how it works best.

• N9 user says:

wrong? I don’t care which apps i have open, I just open them when necessary. And when I’m done, I swipe it away. For example if I see an interesting tweet or Facebook status, I open it from the feed. Then I return to feed screen. What’s wrong with that? Should I constantly switch from app to app to see what’s going on? Isn’t that a bit old fashioned? Like some iphone…

At the end of the day there might be 15-20 apps if I haven’t remember to close them by swiping up from down. I know it is not necessary to close them, but I see no reason to leave them open either

3. Andro says:

This is the app:

or on Nokia store:

Works great :D

There’s and Bluetooth app a well:

Works great, and you don’t have to do all the steps :D

BTW, all meego n9 fans should have this page as a bookmark. All info about new Nokai N9 apps.

Ciao! Merry Christmas Everyone! :D

4. ggg says:

the n9 community can easily change it to landscape mode, and no issue is reported after applying this mod, nokia should enable this in prrp1.2

5. ggg says:

hey n9 users

the app qutim is out in nokia ovi store, anyone has tried it, does it have msn, yahoo?

6. Deaconclgi says:

This is funny! With the N900…people created hacks to enable Portrait Mode….with the N9…people are creating hacks for Landscape Mode!!! LOL Nokia can’t win for losing!

Hey Nokia..take a page from Symbian, make Portrait and Landscape mode standard and call it a day.

I have my N900 hacked to allow Portrait Mode with the CSSU…it just feels wrong. I don’t know if it is just because the physical design of the N900 is in Landscape or if I am just used to using it in Landscape for 2 years.

Does landscape on the N9 feel “wrong” or strange?

• Shmerl says:

No it doesn’t. Especially if you are working in a landscape mode in some application, and want to switch out to the other screen. Turning the device to the side will be unnatural, but without this hack you’ll be forced to do it.

7. dss says:

Is symbian still the only OS that offers both orientations by default ?

8. efion says:

Unfortunatelly, the multitask HS is in weird position when in landscape.
    And when you’re turning around from portrait to landscape, the icons is naturally follow the turns, but not the fonts.

And Jay “Surprised it’s not shown up elsewhere yet as it’s a very useful….”, i think it was out there, i don’t know, maybe a month or two.

I’m a newbie too in MeeGo, but (if you’re really never ever there :) ) you can visit talk.maemo.org, there’s a lot of mods, tweaks, etc., including changing your fonts color, size, lockscreen, etc.

9. Hey! Sombody knows how to install Skype in the N950?

10. Gen says:

Actually pr1.1 has the landscape feature but the user can’t enable. N9 Tweak can activate this feature without you needing to hack it..

11. ffjfj says:

actually this is one of the mod for n9

this mod changes from “portrait” in terminal to “”

i dont see the need to install a tool to enable this mod. learn how to use terminal, then you will be fine.

another mod that catches my eyes is changing the clock format on the top thin status bar.

12. oswald says:

Hey..!!! Just found an App at nokia store that enables the Dinamic Calendar
    Icon.!
    again, without any other tweak, just install =)

13. Ergonpandilus says:

This is much BETTER: store.ovi.com/content/226693

14. jcar302 says:

So let me get this straight, nokia had no portrait mode installed on the n900 and no landscape mode preinstalled on the n9?

Just sounds stupid to me.

15. saean says:

I am dumping my HTC Desire HD for one of these as HTC are no longer supporting software updates on a 1 year old phone.

Goodbye Cheap slave goods, Hello Nokia N9!

16. Anfrey says:

Thanks for the info. Excellent site for help.

17. alex says:

Hello,it’s not working at all!

• alex says:

I find how it work.First going setting-application-home screen and select unlocked under Lock orientation and it’s working without doing the step 2 and 3.Perfect.

18. leylaska says: