Nokia Lumia 900 vs Nokia Lumia 800 – what’s changed

| January 10, 2012 | 79 Replies

Just a quick comparison between the Nokia Lumia 900 and Nokia Lumia 800, looking first at the more obvious things that have changed and then the other more subtle features.

Dimensions: Bigger but slimmer.

• 900: 127.8 x 68.5 x 11.5 mm

• 900: RGB AMOLED
  • 800: Pentile

Gyroscope

• 900: YES
  • 800: No

Front facing camera

• 900: YES. 720p resolution/1.3MP resolution (differs from Nokia site and the developer site), 30FPS, wide angle and f/2.4 for better video calling
  • 800: No

LED position:

• 900: LED moved back to where N9 was
  • 800: in the middle

Branding:

• 900: Front Nokia logo moved to the left with AT&t logo. Bigger Carl Zeiss branding, no Nokia at the back.
  • 800: Front Nokia logo in middle. Carl Zeiss branding microscopic, Nokia logo at the back.
Buttons:
Well due to size the buttons are slightly different (front buttons and side camera/volume/lock).

USB/Sim Tray

pic via GSM Arena

• 900: Top has changed. A complaint by some said that the USB hinge felt a little unsteady. I think it’s fine but Nokia have lopped it off and now you have one that’s always accessible, moins cover. The microsim slot is still there as it’s not something you’d use all the time.
  • 800: Completely sealed.
CPU: I think both have same specs. Not sure if there is any difference in performance.
  • 900: 1.4GHz APQ8055 Snapdragon S2
  • 800: 1.4GHz MSM8255 Snapdragon /Scorpion

Frequency bands: 4G LTE

• 900: GSM 1800, GSM 1900, GSM 850, GSM 900, WCDMA Band II (1900), WCDMA Band V (850), WCDMA Band VIII (900)

Dual Transfer Mode (MSC 32)
EDGE Class B
GPRS Class B
HSDPA Cat14 21 Mbps
HSUPA Cat6 5.76 Mbps
LTE Cat3 Downlink 50 Mbps
LTE Cat3 Uplink 25 Mbps
WCDMA
WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n

• 800: GSM 1800, GSM 1900, GSM 850, GSM 900, WCDMA Band I (2100), WCDMA Band II (1900), WCDMA Band VIII (900)

Dual Transfer Mode (MSC 32)
EDGE Class B
GPRS Class B
HSDPA Cat10 14.4 Mbps
HSUPA Cat6 5.76 Mbps
WCDMA
WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n

Category: Nokia

1. Viipottaja says:

Are you sure the bezel is actually/notably raised (sorry, have not had a chance to view all the hands on videos yet and perhaps its obvious from those)?

• Jay Montano says:

There’s a little rim around the edge. It doesn’t look to be that prominent but it is raised. It’s less visible in video, more in pics.

• inept says:

Is that raised edge glass? Sounds like Apple’s recipe for cracked screens.

• dsmobile says:

It’s narrow metal that goes around that screen. That is the reason I dislike that device. It does not look good or feel good in hand. It should been all the way inside.

design that made it pass drop testing might be the reason for not going for curved screen. :(

• Jay Montano says:

Darn Nokia making their phones durable first, pretty later. Shame we can’t all have spiderman iPhones

• Viipottaja says:

And thickness and bezel width, possibly.

Then again, none of us are industrial designers or material engineers so its pretty useless to speculate. Obviously there was some reason for going with this design – its not likel they just forgot to put in a curved glass. :)

• incognito says:

One of the reason might be that it’s not actually easy to mold curved glass without having the lensing effect, and certainly not easy to enforce its strength in that configuration – flat glass might be considerably cheaper, and when you’re launching a phone meant for subsidization every cent shaved off its cost gives you more wiggle room with the carrier as well as with your profit targets.

• AsadRaza says:

following is the link for a large picture of lumia 900. Please check for yourself how bad/good that looks.
      I liked the design as many professional tech websites did.
      Nokia makes durable and reliable phones and this is one of those.
      For a person like me who is gonna spend good money on a device this is also important that it is not shattered if dropped from a belt level (those spiderman phones do).

2. SpeedFire says:

I think it’s worth to mention.

Display type:
    Nokia 900: Full RGB AMOLED (based on this pic http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/2695584/nokia-lumia-900-first-hands-on-pictures#2830739 )
    Nokia 800: Pentile AMOLED screen.

As for me, this is probably one of the major advantages of 900 over 800.

• Jay Montano says:

Thanks. Updating. And if there’s anything else I missed guys, I’ll add that on.

• Noki says:

yeap improvement there

• CX says:

Rubbish!

Those upgrades are pathetic.

I wouldn’t call that a Lumia 900, rather it should be called a Lumia 800s (with the small letter “s”, not Lumia 800S)!

Sad, sad, and sad… This is going to be a flop as is the 800!

And knowing Nokia, it’s going to be overpriced.

• Jay Montano says:

“And if the screen resolution is 800×400 (as I’ve heard else where), then it’s sad. Who wants to carry about a big phone with such terrible screen resolution.”

LOLOL 10 million Samsung Galaxy owners? 4.3″ 800X480? Reviews still say ‘sharp’. Also owners of the 4″ nHD E7 found it OK too (though slightly pushing it, that one).

I too would like 720p etc but WVGA, it doesn’t look bad.

Difference: WVGA still crisp and clear just not as good as 720p

This is useful if I wanted to read the microsopic text without zooming in. Some folks with eye problems might have an issue with this (I remember to the point some saying nHD is good enough for them :p) I think even without eye problems you may possibly cause severe eye fatigue.

This is an interesting video to watch:

Is it me or does the GN look like a N97?

• CX says:

Remember the Galaxy S2 has been out for awhile now. And I am sure that the S3 (which will be coming soon) will have a higher resolution.

While the 900 will be coming out… It’s rather behind…

For users, not only is it not as crisp and clear as the 720p, it also fits less on the screen too.

I don’t know why anyone would buy a “new” product that has yesterday’s tech on it.

My experience with Nokia (over 10 years now) has been that they ALWAYS put “yesterday” tech on their product, BUT charge “tomorrow” price on them. Back then (and I mean a long, long time ago when they were the market leader), they can do this. Not today!

• james says:

They couldn’t out any higher res of a screen on there due to Microsoft chasis requirements. Don’t b*tch at Nokia for something they have no control over.

• CX says:

On the contrary, Nokia has every bit of control!!!

No one asked them to choose Microsoft!!!

Nokia’s choice, now… they’ll pay the price in terms of further market share decline!

• AsadRaza says:

Do you use magnifying glasses while using your phone? :) Even critics say this resolution for n RGB display is good enough.
        The screen is 4.3″, you will be fine even zooming your pictures.
        If you like to call it Lumia 800s, no body stops you but Nokia can call it lumia 900 or even 9000.
        This one offers “4g LTE and NFC” and lies in the same “Lumia” category. Unlike iphone Nokia has different categories of their phones like “N-series, E-series and now this Lumia”.
        I guess this is a good phone and will sell like cakes.

• james says:

no nfc on the 900./

• CX says:

???

Hell… You can have HVGA on ANY phone screen size and it still looks ok!!!

The question is… is it worth the price? It’s like buying a Ford car and paying a Porsche price for it!!! Ridiculous!!!

• CX says:

Forgot to mention…

Yeah… the 900 is going to sell like hot cakes, like the 800 which is struggling…

Come on folks… Consumers are not as stupid as you think…

3. oho says:

Is there a real difference between weight and heavier?! :D

• Jay Montano says:

woops. I lost my tab when I was editing the post, opened a new one and must have forgot I already wrote that. Cheers.

4. why is the Nokia Logo so small/removed on the back? microsoft/nokia deal true?

5. Ronit says:

I don’t think I’ll be moving to a Nokia Lumia from my E7-00 unless they add these features

1. Notification LED – HTC windows phones have this feature for Missed calls and voicemails. Symbian has this feature for Missed calls/Voicemails and Messages. Nokia Lumias don’t have this feature at all.

I don’t understand the logic to touch the phone and access the lock screen just to know if you have any messages/missed calls.

2. Profiles – I prefer to use different profiles when I am at home (Loud Ringer, no vibration, email alerts), when my phone is in my pocket (No Ringer, vibrations, no email alerts), when I am sleeping (No vibrations, low volume ascending ringer , no email alerts, calls only from family members) and Silent (No notifications at all).

I don’t believe there are any 3rd part workarounds available for this.

• MDF says:

yeah notifcation light
      one of the most important feature that always get neglected

• senshi says:

I personally HATE notification lights, especially blinking ones, they annoy the heck out of me.

The N9 solution is the best, I wish WP7 would copy that aspect.

• jim says:

well they should be able to be turned off in software, but it’s certainly nice to have the option

• AsadRaza says:

When N9 was launched and many people were furious that why such a brilliant OS was dropped in favor of WP, it was actually announced by Elope that Nokia would use many of its concepts and features in future. I believe Nokia labs will bring goodies of N9 to other phones as well.

• Sergio says:

made a little mockup for notification (animated GIF) http://fav.me/d4lted7

• Abhay says:

WTF are you serious? WP7 does not have profiles??? Man is there any alternative available?

I have been waiting for almost one whole year for this phone to show up on ATT…

• Deep Space Bar says:

the N900 still has the best notification led ever…i hacked mine and had it blinking different colors and patterns for variance things

6. Heh... says:

eLOPE felt threatened by the N9 and felt that he had to make his WP7 look more like it.

7. nn says:

So, obviously the Nokia strategy really is to indefinitely rehash the same crappy HW with bodies designed in truly MS spirit. I like it how they continue the Lumia 800 journey, now the N9 design is further improved by slamming flat screen on it, then add bezel and hole for USB. And yes, make it bigger! I see some serious and deep thinking behind all this, Nokia is lucky HW design is pretty much the only thing with which they can differentiate.

I sense enormous sales with this phone.

• Jon says:

Yup, nothing hurts brand-recognition like sticking with a similar, highly praised design language! Better just radically change the design every time, so as to keep the customers guessing!

Seriously, take a look at cars for instance. Look at BMW, at VW. As good as every car they make share elements from each other, as to strengthen brand recognition.

• Jed says:

Lots of people here will bitch regardless. Glad to see some smart ones pop up every so often though.

• lordstar says:

I think it’s also good that Nokia is also sticking with the design if the N9. I just hope Nokia won’t overdo it. I think they have plenty of designs to promote as well.

I think the N8 successor should have a different design as well.

• nn says:

Since when is Nokia sticking with its design language? So far they are actively destroying the design of N9, two more iterations like this and Lumia is indistinguishable from others.

• Mark says:

*Looks at 900*

*Looks at N9*

What the hell are you smoking?

• nn says:

Yeah, both are black plastic with round left and right edge – ergo same design quality and language!

OK, apparently they are betting everything on marketing, so lets see how far they can go with that.

8. subraj says:

@jay will nokia lumia 900 be available globally or only limited to US?

• Jay Montano says:

maybe a version without LTE?

• subraj says:

I was all set to buy Lumia 800 but now Lumia 900 is gaining on me.Buying 800 might make me feel like I got a little screwed out of a front facing camera

• Jay Montano says:

If a front facing camera is important to you then yes you should wait. If you don’t mind having a larger screen, larger phone then it’s best to wait.

I’ve told many people who have emailed me thinking I’m customer support to possibly wait on the next phone (as nice as it would be to get new nokia users). If people are aware that an upcoming phone meets their needs significantly better than the next one then wait for it. But make sure that wait time is not too far away that it will become a spiral of constantly waiting because by the time you waited for the 900 they announce the 910.

9. nismo says:

I hope that Lumia 900 will be available globally in the near future!

10. pachino pulido says:

I have an upgrade with my AT&T account. I am itching to get the lumia 900 on release but also thinking, should i just hold off?

• Abhay says:

I would say don’t hold off…

Nokia is pretty late to bring anything to the market…the 900 wont come to market before two months anyways….the next product release will be by June 12…which means those new phones will come to market by Q3 of this year…

I have been waiting for almost 1 year for this phone…

11. weirdfisher says:

900: 1.4GHz APQ8055 Snapdragon S2
    800: 1.4GHz MSM8255 Snapdragon /Scorpion

s2 is the rebranding of the single core scorpion
    8×55, the x is the radio/network support

In terms of performance they should be 99.9% identical

• Bosh says:

Yes, according to a qualcomm product brief they’re basically the same except for this:

Modem:
      MSM8255 – UMTS / Single Mode
      MSM8655 – CDMA / Multimode
      APQ8055 – No WWAN Modem

12. Chen Zhe says:

Hmm…not supporting WCDMA 2100MHz but supporting 1900MHZ really makes it exclusive to AT&T, and maybe some other carriers in North America only. The world will not see it until there is some variants

13. Alex says:

This is just a quad-band phone right? It doens’t have the penta-band chip like the N8 or N9.

14. lovenokia says:

i think the 900 will have a better camera, cause they are really emphasizing the Carl ziess branding and were talking for a good amount of time about the camera.

15. Michael Prince says:

I also read that it had hotspot functionality to share internet.

16. Abhay says:

I hope so…

17. LaW says:

three nice changes i like they have done with the lumia 900.

1. CBD AMOLED / RGB screen
    2. front cam to take self potraits etc
    3. removed the USB flap, on my n9, it has been bent in already and my phone is only 1 month old!.

18. CJ says:

Any info on the options for screen lock/time-out on the 900? I have a Samsung Focus and it kills me that I cannot turn off the automatic screen lock. I’m tired of the screen going off while streaming or gaming. I know this can be disabled on HTC, but haven’t used a Nokia.

19. 800 owner says:

ive looked through the specs in gsmareana and they are similar but if you take in to account the 800 is more smaller and lightweight so delivers more for the size and the 900 is faster with a front camera the CPU are extremely similar so really the 800 wins compare the two and tell me what you think (i have a 800 so i have and on experience on how it works)

20. ilinking says:

Nokia Lumia 900 is better

21. sandeep says:

Obviously 900 looks better that 800. Its only price that will matter.

22. Caitlin says:

I’m thinking of getting the 800, because it’s cheaper, but I still don’t know if getting the 900 would worth the extra money. Any one had them both?

23. Dev says:

I had an E7 which recently broke (charging point issue). Now I am thinking of Lumia 900, though I am not too sure of the Windows platform. Any words of wisdom from people who own 900?