Viber in the works for Nokia (N9? Symbian? Qt?)

| January 11, 2012 | 35 Replies

Viber are apparently working on a version of their App for Nokia. It’s not Windows Phone as they’d say ‘for Windows Phone’ but Nokia, and that might be Qt, which would either be for Symbian/MeeGo-Harmattan N9 or both.

In reply to Robert Swain who asked:

@ViberSupport Are there any plans for Viber on the Nokia N9? Are you open to outside developers implementing such for you?

Viber Support replied:

@swainrob We’re presently working on version for Nokia. :) You’re always welcome to send your CV to hr@viber.com. Thanks!

What is Viber? I actually had to search myself but it’s free voice calls from your phone.

Like Skype.

• Free international calls and text messages to other Viber
    users using 3G or Wi-Fi.
  • Uses your existing contact list – check out which of your phone contacts and friends is already on Viber so that you can call and text them for free.
  • Go ahead and start calling and texting. It’s free* and it works great!

I found a discussion on Nokia Forums where someone said they find it to be better even than Skype.  To which a member from Viber replied that yes they would be coming with a version for Nokia smartphones(which was then, Symbian OS)

This is an official representative of Viber Media.

We plan to develop a Viber version compatible with Nokia SmartPhones in the future, but for now we don’t have exact release dates.

I invite you to follow us on Twitter or Facebook for updates and questions.

Viber.

Nokia Belle perhaps? This was in February 2011, before N9 was even released.

Actually digging up another thread, they explicitly say it’s for Symbian. This is dated October 2011. Old but not something we reported before.

Hi,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

Viber for Symbian OS is in development at the moment.
For updates about release dates please check our Facebook page or our support site at: http://helpme.viber.com

Thanks,
Viber Team

Thanks incognito for the tip.

Category: Applications, Nokia

1. gghgh says:

is viber the phonecall version of whatsapp? can we call our friend(who has viber installed in their phone) when their viber app is not running?

• incognito says:

Given that they’ll obviously target Symbian (and I assume they’ll use Qt therefore Maemo and MeeGo as well) – it’s a multitasking OS, they can always have a small deamon in the back to accept Viber calls/messages.

• Jay Montano says:

I think it’s Kinda like Tango. The receiver doesn’t have to have the app working or in the background to receive a call. Not tried viber but Tango works really well.

• gghgh says:

nice to see the new way of calling my friends land texting them for free(internet data usage)!

in my opnion this viber app is more useful than whatsapp, and ebuddyxms beta is already on n9

• Xavier says:

hi there,

Does tango work in Nokia N9? and which all country’s this app works.

2. genchigen says:

I’ve been waiting for this ever since i got my N8. Now I’m moving on to the N9. Hopefully Viber comes out for both, as my friends on iphone and android are always asking me if I have the app.

3. Muliadi Jeo says:

Based on their knowledgebase page: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/15/future-releases They are planning to release for Blackberry, Windows Phone and Symbian.

4. gghgh says:

why doesnt skype implement push notification technology? like things whatsapp, ebuddyxms, viber do? they want to die?

5. Neil says:

I really like Viber. It replaces (sort of) the default phone dialer on your phone. You enter your mobile number and Viber will save this on their database. Now it will ask you to scan your contacts to see if you have friends on Viber. Or try typing a number and check if it rings, otgerwise it will switch to GSM. :-)

• Aleve Sicofante says:

And this is exactly why I don’t trust Viber: scanning all my contacts and uploading them to their servers? No thanks. I hope my friends don’t use Viber either. I want my number to stay private.

• dhdhdh says:

so all viber-like apps like whatsapp, ebuddyxms, liveprofile,etc, cannot be trusted?

man, i just want to have an app that supports push notification to let me send sms through internet data on my phone. skype on n9 plan to do that?

6. DrexarN9 says:

Wow this would be a very good news since Viber is Free application and it supports Web SMS and Calls :D

7. fff says:

i like viber more than whatsfail since ebuddyxms beta already out for n9!:)

8. sammy says:

hey guyz, i can’t wait to get this viber apps installed on my 701 nokia belle when it’s release. Any one with any useful info when it is out should please mail me @ sammyxtian@ovi.com. Thanx

9. afgh says:

It takes ages for viber to develop something, they have been saying ”soon” for a year.

10. Wasef says:

You all can use an application called Nimbuzz. I am using it on my Nokia C7, and it is just awesome! It is just like viber.

11. Marfo Tony says:

Are we to expect viber for the nokia s40 series? nokia c3??

12. anonymous says:

Yeah it’s for symbian. They don’t have any news for the n9. Check out their facebook page.

I also want an app that can send SMS through the internet and if we can use skype it will be better. (N9 User)

Here in the Philippines we have an app called Chikka. It’s a software that can let you send SMS to a phone using Android or iOS. Too bad they don’t have an app for the N9. :(

13. astroz says:

hi
    i need to know if i can use viber in my nokia 5530 xpress music?? and where i can get it?

14. Baha says:

Hi, Kindly i want to know when you are going to make a version of viber for Nokia N8.
    Regards…
    Baha

15. abed says:

hi
    can i use viberbto my nokia n9
    may you send the app
    and thank u

16. stele says:

why isnt viber available on nokia n9??? :(

17. crazy for mobile says:

please release viber for n9….we are waiting for viber….

18. Amin says:

i need the vebir and wechat for my nokia N9

19. Nitin says:

I need viber on my nokia n9. Is it available or not?

20. LF says:

I need viber for my Nokia N9 please!!! It’s been over a yr now guys.

21. Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if you know then
    you can write or else it is difficult to write.

22. suraj says:

can i use viber in nokia n9

23. suraj says:

can i use skype video calling in nokia n9

24. suraj says:

can i use nimbuz in nokia n9

25. Hi there, You have done a fantastiic job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
    I’m confident they will be benefited frpm this website.

Heere is my blog scope of Human computer Interaction