Skype For Windows Phone (Private) Beta coming soon?

| February 2, 2012 | 52 Replies

Finally! Reports say that Microsoft is bringing Skype to Windows Phone. It has been expected for some time now, seeing as Microsoft owns the service. Having Skype may see WP as a real competitor in the smartphone race, since it can essentially become the OS that “connects people” due to its already deep integration of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn (not sure how many people use LinkedIn though), and the assumption that Skype integration will come in an update, given the app receives good feedback. (Tango? Apollo? )

Apparently, Microsoft has been internally testing the app, and is reported to release the beta shortly. The following is an excerpt from anonymous email sent to WP7Lab;

“Skype for Windows Phone is just around the corner and we’ve teamed up with the Skype folks to help with beta testing. If you are receiving this newsletter directly, look for an invitation in the coming weeks and be on the inside track for what is sure to be one of the hottest new apps on the Marketplace!”

We should see some leaked content in the next few weeks, and hopefully the official release will be out soon enough.

Cheers Viipottaja for the tip!

Michael

Source: WP7Lab

Category: Applications, Leak, Lumia, Mango, Nokia, Windows Phone

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. mahesh says:

it will be good if skype can be used to video call on symbian on N8 …

2. fjff says:

anyone know why skype will never add push notification like ebuddyxms/whatsapp does?

• incognito says:

Skype works in the cloud, where the cloud is consisted of all computers ‘connected’ to the Skype network in P2P manner – in theory, for the Skype network you need only one hub to register IPs of people in the network and nothing else. Of course, it’s a bit more complicated than that, but that’s the general principle.

No centralized server == nothing that could do push to other devices. Also no offline messages and other similar features needing a centralized server. Unless they severely change the protocol (why would they, it’s extremely efficient for them as they barely need any resources to keep the network going?), don’t expect such things from Skype.

• Nik Rolls says:

There is obviously already a centralised server to hold usernames and passwords, IPs and account info. It’s not that hard to augment this with a poll-push system where a client (initiating the connection) asks the server to send a notification to the recipient. This notification can hold the IP address of the originating client so that all communications for that call can then be P2P.

IM would require slightly more resources (eg message storing), but still quite a simple procedure.

Now that Skype is owned by Microsoft it’s definitely feasible that these small change could be made to the protocol quite easily, especially as there are no longer any third-party clients to worry about breaking.

3. Netro says:

FYI, LinkedIn reported 135 million users in Nov 2011 :)

4. spbond says:

skype is now available at
    nokia store with belle support
    but video call is once again
    Not supported

5. LaruX says:

Well.. Nothing really new. Microsoft has managed to integrate Skype with their OS. Well, look at other brands and also look at maemo. Yes, integration has been done years ago in Maemo. It’s so sad that big companies (Nokia included) nowadays put their effort to advertising old ideas as new ones.. Yawn.

6. masood.alkhter says:

video calling is becoming big,i just hope when they bring it out,its slick,smooth and fast. it has to be or am buyin a iphone

7. nabs says:

What about N9?

8. Stephens_Eloped says:

Yes I’m glad Skype is well-integrated in MeeGo, but it’s a step backwards that its predecessor, Maemo5 on the Nokia N900 not only has Skype built-in, but video calling as standard. Sure it wasn’t perfect, and it was only really good when you called on a wifi network to someone else on a wifi network, bit it was still there, and it was free and baked right in to Maemo.

It’s puzzling that now Microsoft owns Skype, and yet it’s not yet part of their phone OS. Ha, even when it does, the much-sold Lumia 800 still won’t be able to make video calls… as it doesn’t have a front camera. Hmmm…. more Nokia customer frustration round the corner? Yep, I think so!

• MDF says:

it can use its rear camera for video calls

• Michael FT says:

Then the person with the Lumia can’t see who they are calling and will defeat the purpose of a video call

• MDF says:

i can use the video call to show someone something i want
          and i dont need to watch all the time the face of the person i am talking

so even if its not a proper solution it would be fine

• stylinred says:

well considering the front facing camera is/will be activated wouldnt skype be updated to work normally?

• Hary says:

Lot of people make a big issue of FFC, but I can guarantee, only a handful of users actually use it in reality, and those who use may hardly use it.
            (Just my theory.. which also probably co-incides with Nokia’s theory) ;)

• Blink says:

I dont want to make video calls on my smartphone. I save that for my computer with a faster data rate than my carrier provides. My 800 is so much better than an iphone. I had one and sold it for the Nokia.

• Meade says:

Because to integrate a program flawlessly into an OS isn’t a walk in the park. My guess is, they’re trying to integrate it right away, meet bugs and other nasty things that would make the experience of using WP not as good as they envision it, so they move to working on a separate app instead, and integrate it in future OS upgrade (I’m assuming Apollo).

• Jamison says:

The plan for proper integration has always been for it to be in Apollo.
        They’ve made that clear since yonks ago…

What’s sad is that harmattan was/is better positioned to fully integrate skype vid.
        But Nokia won’t because it’s too politically/tactically sensitive.

Not cool of them at all, very uncool.

9. Blink says:

Just received my google email of their NO privacy policy. Bye,bye YouTube.

10. Stound says:

They still havent changed their mascots to lumia like designs ? thats wierd

11. Abhay says:

We need Skype integrated into Windows Phone and not just an app…then whats the difference between WP and others?

12. milk cloud says:

Leeds web design and marketing

13. Janus says:

14. Janus says:

lets try this again.

15. Lilian says:

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has helped
    me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me.
    Great job.

16. Bryant says:

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I
    provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
    My blog site is in the very same area of interest
    as yours and my visitors would really benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards!

17. Two million new friend requests are sent every 20 minutes annd three million messages are sent though Facebook everry 20 minutes.
    After logging in, look for Settigs in the menu options.
    Now encourage your kids tto doo the same and follow the same cycle convincing yourself and your kids that this is the right way.

Here is my blog; pirater skype

18. Icons from the displa menu could also disappear due to a
    virus or malware attack. It may also include a sample career objective,
    core competencies, work experience, education and certifications,
    all of which you can tailor to meet your needs. Therde will be no impression thgat they are
    just “taking you out and letting their experience rub off on you.

Here is my site: avoir des points
    microsoft gratuitement

19. Louvenia says:

I think the admin of this website is actually working
    hard for his web page, since here every stuff is quality based
    information.