Nitdroid N9 status (Android for N9)

| February 27, 2012 | 25 Replies

NitDroid forum is following the progress of getting Android onto the Nokia N9. Above you can see the ICS icons. Not working but critical seems to have been crossed off.

“What is working:

• - dualboot kernel (without reflashing), ability to choose OS after power on.
  • - 3D drivers, OpenGL
  • - hwrotation (portrait mode only, accelerometer HAL doesn’t work)
  • - touchscreen (multitouch)
  • - hw buttons (volume, power)
  • - USB networking
  • - lcd off in sleep mode
  • - alarm driver, RTC

Important, but not critical:
- USB ADB driver
- lights HAL
- battery status
- charging (BME; also R&D is required due to missing watchdog “pingers”)
- any connectivity (3G, wifi, bluetooth)
- audio (headphones, earpiece, loudspeaker), jack switch
- video decoding (HW or SW)
- camera
- GPS. GlonASS also ;D
- sensors (accelerometer, compass etc).
- vibra
- a lot of other things

Source: nitdroid

Cheers pyler  for the tip!

Category: Maemo, MeeGo, N9 Hacks, Nokia

1. jcar302 says:

It would appear by reading posts here and other sites, n9 users love meego.
    So why in gods name would people want to replace it with something worse?

• Jay Montano says:

It’s just for fun. Just as everyone loved Maemo 5 on N900 but still tried to put Android (and everything else) on it. Just to show some versatility I guess. If you can do it, why not? :)

I’m not sure anyone would want to permanently swap ICS for Swipe :)

• Khaled says:

don’t you forget please, that as much as I love the swap, and all of the MeeGo OS stuff, I would rather have fully established OS, with hell lot of applications and games but with less good looking, rather than having the best looking device on earth but with very limited applications and games, that what would android’s ICS provide to N9, with duel boot, you can chose, wither you are using the device now for just basics, and multimedia play, then u play the MeeGo OS, but if u need many important applications that MeeGo doesn’t support like Autocad for Android and many other apps, you just boot the ICS, do u get me :) ?

• incognito says:

Just like with all other hacks: because we can! :D

• Michael Faro-Tusino says:

Exactly hahaha, that is why the N9 is the best device. “Because we can” we run android hahah.

But on a serious note, NitDroid is going to help a lot( well me anyway) as there are so many great apps that run on android that I want. Of course, OpenMobile ACL or Alien Dalvik would be better. Kontorri has even said that the kernel is there for them, they simply just need to release a custom one with the compatability layer and we flash :)

• erzhik says:

because all your base are belong to us!

• mg says:

It’s not about replacement, it’s about flexibility. There’s quite a few apps for Android/iOS that exist for niche audiences (i.e. religious applications) and it would be nice to have access to those applications.

• LarsB says:

Probably because the Microsoft shill Stephen Elop killed meego so the N9 platform has no future. Even if it’s a great mobile OS.

• Avenger Osiris says:

Very fun and interesting idea about new atmosphere and experience with different UI in N9 MeeGo Harmattan

Check this out

Nokia N9 The Ultimate Experience
      Have you ever wonder how is it feel having Lumia 800 experience on your N9?
      Or having Android/IOS UI on your N9?

• Mustafa says:

I love my N9, and Meego is great too. However, there are some issues with it. It slows down sometimes, and the app support and integration that is available with Android is something that I have been missing ever since migrating from my g2x over to this bad boy.

The n9 is the sexiest phone I’ve ever had, but the g2x still trumps it, especially when I had the lotherius firmware installed on it. The thing was blazing fast and never had any slow down or hiccups. If a stable overclock for the n9 is released, nothing big, just bringing it up to 1.4, then the phone will FLY, I just know it.

• Saul says:

App integration isn’t so much an issue as app support.
        Even then it’s still more than enough for the avg joe.
        For heavy users who aren’t uber nerdy it is an issue though.

I don’t have issues with slow down, none that annoy me all that much
        Only every very fleeting etc.
        I do agree that “when” OC’ing comes, it’s just going to be so damn sweet.

2. Travis says:

Yeah, maybe just for fun. Also, to show the capabilities of Nokia N9; maybe for apps too. :)

3. Mate says:

You may want to point out that the “important but not critical section” refers to things that ARE NOT working.

4. Vader_MIB says:

Not only for fun, FOR THE WIN ;)

5. meegoaddict says:

great job friends.. one day we’ll make n9 the worlds best smartphone… keep it up..

6. mirjam says:

im not that technical..but does this mean android apps will or are working on the n9?

7. Saul says:

Still a looong way to go but getting exciting.