HowTo: Fix Mail For Exchange with Hotmail/Live/Outlook for N9

| August 20, 2012 | 36 Replies

Something that every N9 user that uses MFE with a Live/Hotmail/Outlook account has been affected by, is that the N9 no longer syncs correctly. This was caused by Microsoft updating some protocols or something technical like that, and Nokia not rectifying the situation. Here are two really quick fixes that have not only worked for me every time, but other people I’ve helped.

First up, you’ll need to log into your email from the web (whether it is your phone or computer doesn’t matter). Once logged in, look at the address bar. There will be a six-character combination at the beginning, 3 letters, 3 numbers. For example, mine is snt002. The important part is the first three. Take note of that somewhere.

Now, on your device, go to Accounts>MFE Account>Conn. Settings>Server Address. Here, type your 3 letter code followed by -m.hotmail.com. It should look similar to this: snt-m.hotmail.com

Once you’re done that, try synching your account again. If that doesn’t work, don’t panic.There is still one more thing to try. Download an app called memailsettings. Once installed, select easy tweak mode, select your account, enable “Force EAS protocol version” and type 2.5 in the text box below.

Try re-synching your MFE account, and it should synch.

I’ve done this each time I’ve enabled MFE for a Live ID and it works each time.

Comment below the results on your device, and if you have issues, hopefully myself, or others can help.

Michael

Category: MeeGo, N9 Hacks, N9Apps, Nokia

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. M says:

MfE was never really the problem with mine. Gmail account and other email account(yahoo) stopped syncing so I decided to just forward all my mail to gmail account and step it up through Mfe and it worked no problem(though theres a 30 minute delay on my yahoo mail from forwarding). And also email notifications dont show up for MfE. Say what you will about the Lumia 900 but at least I can thoroughly rely on it email-wise.

• Nathan says:

Ever try searching/following the main Harmattan email thread at TMO, would’ve had your issues resolved many moons ago if you did.
      Never had an issue with my normal emails accts, BUT I’ve seen users with similar issues to you that are inevitably ALWAYS fixed.
      One of the “former” Harmattan devs (Sergey) is STILL extremely proactive & helpful there…
      Email notifications work fine for MfE, no idea what you’re talking about, that I’ve definitely not seen ANYONE complain about.

2. NULL says:

Closed formats, closed source and vendor lock-in working very hard to make you live more exciting!

Secure IMAP FTW.

• Shaun says:

IMAP indeed does FTW although Nokia do seem to have introduced a few bugs in PR1.3 with IMAP accounts. Mail’s backend doesn’t seem to update the message counters or the ‘Recent Messages’ combined mailbox due to what seems like a bug in updating the SQLite mail database.

Sergey is looking into it when he gets time in September.

It’s very nice he’s doing this but one has to wonder why there isn’t an official developer still at Nokia doing this!

3. Ch.Saqib says:

Something like that I have posted here a month ago.

4. Timo says:

Thanks. Worked fine after setting up memail.

5. Sean says:

Fixed!………now working via the first 3 character fix.

Cheers for the tip!

6. Mariano says:

you saved me

7. JGsmartypants says:

This is obviously Elop’s fault, he sabotaged N9 email capabilities AND made almost every major enterprise use Exchange servers for emails. that evil man!

• John says:

This issue wasn’t caused by a flaw with the N9 itself.
      It affected many other platforms, see the original thread at TMO.

8. Aminul Ahsan says:

Apparently dub-m.hotmail.com & debug-m.hotmail.com are working for me. Can also try these if you don’t feel like installing that tweak :p

9. joyorge says:

I have had no problems with my N9 mail sync but I wanted to ask, is it inevitable? I mean, if it hasn’t happened, should I expect it to?

10. izuan says:

Thanks for the tips Michael+gang.

I have a question:

Since Nokia Suite now works with the N9, I’ve been syncing my contacts there. Apparently, you can only choose to sync with only one, either Nokia Suite, or MfE.
    I tried setting up MfE with my GMail, but contacts was so messed up (for me) that I abandoned it.
    Is syncing contacts via MfE to Outlook/Hotmail/LiveID better? And what are the advantages and disadvantages over contacts syncing via Nokia suite?

Thanks for the very useful post btw :)

• John says:

MfE (for email) when using Gmail act isn’t needed, IMAP works very well in the standard Gmail acct.

• John says:

Contacts, cant recall what I did OTTOMH, & I dont have my ph with me right now, but it also works & never with any issue.
        If I got a minute later I will share my set-up…

• izuan says:

Hi John, thanks for taking the time to reply.
          I don’t have any problems with e-mails (IMAP) or calendar (CalDAV). I was only trying to find a way to back up my contacts. Tried to sync Contacts only with GMail via MfE but the contacts field in GMail itself got messy (2nd mobile number either missing or in ‘Others’ field. I was just wondering if this is normal and acceptable or is syncing to Hotmail/Outlook via MfE produce better results/contacts syncing (i read somewhere that they could sync their three devices via their LiveID/Outlook)
          Cheers!

11. Carbontubby says:

Exchange ActiveSync is a proprietary locked-in piece of crap that makes you an M$ slave ;)

Seriously, open protocols for email and calendar sync like secure IMAP and CalDav are the way to go. It’s just that enterprise often favors proprietary solutions because they’re easier to set up and top management are wary of open source products, so mobile devices also end up reflecting this trend.

12. Anthony says:

Big thanks to Michael for these tips!

Never got this to work on my N9, now it does.
    Had to install memailsettings to get it fixed.

thanks!

13. Nathan says:

@Michael

For the 2nd fix, in the main thread at TMO, pretty sure I recall reading that it’s best you delete your acct & re-create, before applying it.

14. Ch.Saqib says:

It has stopped for me. It keep on syncing with no result. But mail sending is ok. Problem is with receiving. It was working fine almost 10 hours ago. I have made no changes at all. Setting is done a month ago as it is written in this article. Anyone there having this issue or I am alone? Also any suggestions plzz???

15. James says:

Hi. I’ve tried this on my N9, but when I use memailsettings and select “easy tweak mode” it can’t find my exchange account. When I try to set up the exchange account (I followed your instructions carefully) it keeps asking me to sign in, so I cant actually save the account. Is there any way around this?

16. bob says: