Stephen Elop was just interviewed at All Things D. Here are some key points:
- Would have liked to have done better with first gen Lumia
- WP7.5 already set by the time Nokia joined
- Accepts Nokia did not do enough after launching Lumia 800, not focus on carriers and regions
- Feels this was done better by focusing the 710 (to t-mobile) and 900 (to At&t)
- Nokia is not anyone’s white box manufacturer, not disappointed in not being asked to build Surface tablet.
That’s just not who we are…I understand why they do Surface, They have long said that the beauty and glory is not being well landed on hardware. They are saying here is the bar; everyone has to be at least this good
- Elop unaware that Microsoft may be building their own phone. Not that he could say anything even if he knew.
I have no indications they are planning to do their own phone,” Elop said. “They can do it if they so choose”
http://allthingsd.com/20121002/interview-stephen-elop-on-apples-map-flap-and-why-location-is-a-big-part-of-nokias-future/Having a strong position in a location-based platform — the thing that defines mobility — is a very powerful place to be. But we’ve got to use it wisely