PressRelease: Angry Birds Star Wars coming to WP Nov 8th

| October 14, 2012 | 41 Replies

Rovio, the company behind the always popular Angry Birds franchise, have issued a blog post earlier in the week, announcing they are releasing Angry Birds Star Wars. It will be released on November 8, which is after the expected date (approx Nov 4) of the first WP8 devices to be released. Take a look at the trailer below. I’m excited!

NEW YORK – (October 8, 2012) –Rovio Entertainment and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today a new blockbuster entertainment franchise collaboration; Angry Birds Star Wars. Launching worldwide on November 8, the unique partnership will combine all the fun of the classic Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space with the characters, stories and settings of the epic space fantasy, Star Wars.

From the deserts of Tatooine to the depths of the Death Star – the game and merchandise will feature the Angry Birds characters starring as the iconic heroes of the beloved Saga.

“This is the best Angry Birds game we’ve ever done. It’s the best parts of Angry Birds with all new cutting-edge gameplay set in a galaxy far, far away,” said Peter Vesterbacka, the Mighty Eagle  and CMO of Rovio. “As a big Star Wars fan myself, I’m really excited about this new universe. The Force is definitely strong with this one.”

In addition to the game, this fall will also see the unveiling of a massive retail launch for Angry Birds Star Wars. Merchandise ranging from Halloween costumes and apparel to action figures and collectible plush toys will be available at select retailers, starting October 28.

“Both Star Wars and Angry Birds share the instant and irresistible appeal of hands-on fun,” said Colum Slevin, Vice President, Head of Studio Operations for Lucasfilm Ltd. “People seem to instinctively know what to do when handed a lightsaber or a bird in a slingshot, so this is a natural combination.”

In the coming weeks, fans can expect additional new videos, characters, and much more exciting content to be revealed.

The game will be available on iOS, Android, Amazon Kindle Fire, Mac, PC, Windows Phone and Windows 8.

For more information about Angry Birds Star Wars, visit www.angrybirds.com/starwars

and watch the teaser trailer at www.youtube.com/user/RovioMobile.

Source: Rovio

Category: Applications, Lumia

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

Sites That Link to this Post

1. ویندوز فون 8 Windows Phone - صفحه 16 | October 16, 2012
  1. nokiaaaaaouh says:

Please be freeeeee
    Like android plllease rovio please

2. andy says:

pleeeeeasssee,launch it for symbian. symbian has more user base. its no fair. all because of elop, we are not getting games. f*** elop,f*** nokia

3. subraj says:

Ms should learn how to price the apps.if they keep the prices of apps so high,WP will never ever beat android.

I personally love WP over android,but iam becoming sick of the app prices these days.

• Bloob says:

MS isn’t the one who prices these apps, it’s the developers. AFAIK MS takes the same cut as Apple ( 30% ), and less for successful apps.

• subraj says:

If not atleast they should make sure that developers should price their apps reasonably.The reason why I say this is many of my friends who want to buy WP devices did not buy after seeing the prices of apps especially in India.

4. Janne says:

WP8 will make game-making and porting a lot easier for developers (with native C++ code and third-party libraries), so expect a lot of games to come to WP8 that didn’t come to the .NET-constrained WP7.

5. Patata says:

Too bad for all those WP7 owners who will never get this game ;)

• Ronit says:

And who tells you this won’t launch for windows phone 7?

• Janne says:

It is quite possible it won’t. The nature of the WP7 APIs makes it much harder to port games to it, compared to WP8. It isn’t impossible of course, but I’d chalk it up as unlikely. Obviously this is an unfortunate side-effect of WP8 not coming to existing devices…

However, all WP7 owners who upgrade to a WP8 or later device will certainly be able to get this game. ;) Like me…

• Patata says:

You mean right after the end of their 2 years contract, they’ve signed to get their first gen Lumias? ;)
          Yes, Nokia / WP die hard fans like you might instantly buy every Lumia that gets released, even if Nokia releases them in a 2 month cycle and without any updates for the previous models, but what about all those people who made the mistake to buy a Lumia 800 or 900? Why do you think they should make that same mistake again? The only one Nokia did a favor with those devices was MS to keep WP alive…

• Janne says:

Nokia / WP die hard fans like me? LOL.

But yes, I am a *Nokia* fan. That is true. They are my “home team” and I do root for them. As it happens, we are having this exchange on a Nokia fan site… right?

I have no illusions about the disconnect between WP7 and WP8. It sucks, indeed it does. And some people will be understandably miffed about it, others won’t care.

I have been through the same disconnect with several Nokia products, each incompatible with the other. This includes my jumps from E90 to N97 to N8 to N9, for example.

As for Nokia doing WP7 devices for Microsoft’s benefit? Hardly. Establishing the Lumia brand before the competition heats up with WP8 was paramount for Nokia.

• Patata says:

“I have been through the same disconnect with several Nokia products”

So in other words… WP and that great 3rd ecosystem that elop wants to create together with microsoft, didn’t change anything about it? So what exactly was the point to use WP instead of any other plattform for Nokia?
              What we’ve got now are first gen Lumia devices with very limited functionality that probably will never get any of the features that they are lacking.
              So that’s what Nokia wanted the Lumia brand to be known for?
              “Can’t do much and won’t get any updates”?

• Janne says:

Well, WP7 to WP8 transition is a heck of a lot more compatible than most previous Nokia transitions – I can’t run N8 software on my N9 for example (or much of previous Symbian software between major Symbian updates). I will be able to run my Lumia 900 software on my future Lumia 920. I do agree the disconnect sucks, but at least it isn’t as bad as before.

But obviously this is not the reason why the move to WP changes things or why it was done. I won’t bother listing those reasons for you, I’m sure you know them, even if you disagree with them. Nor does it mean the change wasn’t controversial or without flaws too. It can still fail, too. I will keep on looking forward as an old Nokia mobile phone user (since the 1980′s) and a long-time fan (since the 1990′s). That’s my prerogative. You are free to choose differently.

No amount of debate will help anything or anyone. It is what it is.

• Janne says:

Oh, an WP7 Lumias will get plenty of updates from Nokia – as they already have. In all likelihood, they will receive way more updates than most Symbian devices under OPK. Only under Elop has Nokia actually provided frequent functionality enhancing updates to existing handsets…

OPK and Anssi Vanjoki were aiming for Symbian^4 that would have broken compatibility with all existing handsets and all existing software for Symbian^3… that was the old Nokia. New Nokia is better in this regard, clearly.

• patata says:

But the new Nokia can’t do much about what Microsoft decides. So if Microsoft moves forward to wp8 and all major app developers do the same, Mr. Elop can’t do anything.

• Janne says:

Whatever Nokia and Microsoft have set out in their mutual agreement, obviously will help Nokia in their relationship with Microsoft. For example, it is widely believed there would be no WP 7.8 without Nokia’s involvement – that it was made for and because of Nokia. (Same with the recuded-spec version for Lumia 610.)

However, obviously there are downsides to every scenario. When you buy your solution from outside, there will be limits to your control. That is a minus. That doesn’t mean it will be automatically a bad deal, though. Because even when Nokia did own their OS, they had a really hard time keeping it competitive even with full control.

So far, I’d day the ownership experience with a Lumia (upgrades included) has been far superior to owning Series60v5 or Symbian^3 devices from Nokia.

• patata says:

…as long as you don’t mind all the features that Wp doesn’t have, compared to Symbian…

I think the major difference compared to Symbian and Maemo / Meego is the fact that Microsoft created an smartphone OS for the conent industry rather than it’s users. They want to take full control of what their users might and might not do with “their” phone and where they get their content from.
                      That’s the reason why so many little things, that Symbian users got used to over the years, are not possible with WP.

• patata says:

And cause I saw it right now: No Xbox Music for wp7.x? Must be one of those really hardware depending features….

• Viipottaja says:

And where did you see the “No Xbox music for WP7″? :D

Note: “first” does not mean “no”. Note: Zune is already on WP7 anyway – so they will just cancel all of it?

• Patata says:

@Viipottaja

(oddly there is no reply button under you reply)

I saw it on a german WP newssite.
                      Stating that WP7.x and Windows 7 won’t get Xbox Music or any of it’s new features. They both will keep using Zune instead, meaning that there won’t be anything new. No free streaming etc.

• Viipottaja says:

As it happens, in many markets Zune is probably one of the better if not best music subscription services anyway, so continuing with Zune would not be bad at all. Having said that, I would find it more likely that even W7 and WP7 will move to Xbox music at some not too distant point. Again, “first” does not mean “no”. :)

• Patata says:

on the other hand… MS must release it for WP7.x too, cause it wouldn’t be such a wise move to bring Xbox Music to iOS and Android but not to their own (dated) OS

• Viipottaja says:

and that’s what I mean: it will most likely come. them saying it will be on WP8 first does not meant there will be no WP7.5 version.

• Israel says:

The amount of crap people write… wow. Are you all bashing Windows Phone, stupid enough to think developers wont release apps on both Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8? There are over 15 million Windows Phone 7 phones in the wild, they would be stupid to market apps only to Windows Phone 8, which right now has ZERO market since it is not out yet. Come November 8th, I assure you Angry Birds Star Wars will work on Windows Phone 7, and so will most apps released after Windows Phone 8 goes on sale. As for the Zune comments, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The phone doesn’t have a Zune App, yet I can use my Zune Music Pass to stream songs, download them, rate them, and use my 10 free song credits a month. Zune doesn’t exist anymore, and guess what? My phone now streams music from Xbox Music, and lets me download it, rate it and keep using my 10 free song credits a month. Xbox Music is working on Windows Phone 7 and we don’t need an App for it. The End.

• Mark says:

So what? I can play it on my Nexus 7 if I want to.

6. stylinred says:

i havent cared about Rovio since they ignored symbian

7. I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Review my homepage … angrybird game

8. I’ll immediately snatch your rss as I can’t find your email subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you’ve any? Kindly let me understand so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

9. With so much of hype with new seasons being released, this game is awarded
    “the largest mobile app success the world has seen so far” and also
    considered as “one of the greatest runaway hits of 2012″.
    There are many apps available that caters to people who
    exercise (or for those who try to) regularly. You can either
    make one of these for yourself or make all the characters for your friends
    and you can all go as a group in an Angry birds costume.

Here is my homepage – Angry Birds Online

10. I seriously love your website.. Very nice colors & theme. Did you build this website yourself?

Please reply back as I’m hoping to create my very own website and would love to find out
    where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

11. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a
    amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we communicate?

Feel free to visit my web page – 心細く制作 人気

12. Mauricio says:

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re
    using? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but
    I’m having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different
    then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Visit my blog; 激安 ステンカラーコート 注目 (Mauricio)

13. Madeleine says:

I’ve learn some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for
    revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you set to make such a excellent informative
    site.

Feel free to surf to my web blog 公式 ポインテッドトゥ 販売中 (Madeleine)

14. Tarun Gupta says:

I have read so many content on the topic of the blogger lovers but
    this piece of writing is actually a good piece of writing, keep
    it up.

15. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks,
    However I am encountering difficulties with your RSS. I don’t understand why I am
    unable to join it. Is there anyone else having the same RSS problems?
    Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

16. Japanese hipster-turned-multimillionaire artist Takashi Murakami’s
    trademark psychedelic flower faces, narcotized eyes, and menacing mouths have been seen in a lot of places:
    from MOCA in Los Angeles, the Brooklyn Museum in New York, the Museum of Fine Arts in
    Boston, and the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain, to the sides of Louis Vuitton handbags and the covers of a Kanye West album.
    Today, they’ve taking root in cyberspace. Mr.
    http://www.getsmartaboutdrugs.com/Base/?moncler-t-shirt-jacket http://www.getsmartaboutdrugs.com/Base/?moncler-hats-for-kids http://www.getsmartaboutdrugs.com/Base/?moncler-vol-pas-cher-paris