Belle FP2 gets Calendar and SMS Update

| November 5, 2012 | 37 Replies

BelleFP2-SMS+Calendar Fix

Nokia have pushed out two small updates for Belle FP2 devices (808PV, 701 etc.). These updates are fixes for Calendar and SMS. Sadly I don’t have an 808 Pureview of any devices updateable to Belle FP2, so I  am not sure what it adds/fixes exactly. It is good to see that Nokia are still providing updates and fixes for these “dead” devices.

Have you gotten the updates? Let us know how it is and whatr fixes you’ve noticed.

Source: UnleashThePhones

Category: Nokia

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. stylinred says:

ive gotten the sms update but not the calendar haven’t noticed an issue beforehand with either anyhow

2. Banderpop says:

I got the calendar but not the SMS one. Likewise I didn’t know these needed attention. I’d just like an update that restores compatibility with lost Anna/^3 apps and puts the music player back to how it was.

3. iancarter says:

I think some of the users faced calender problems(not opening or something about task management) and sms text not visible after the belle fp2 update(nokia support discussion is filled with it). For me my only problem with both 701 & 700 were crashing of nokia music and video editor. They fixed nokia music making it better but they haven’t gotten yet to video editor. I haven’t got the update here in india yet will let u know if there is anything new.

4. swain says:

I received a calendar fix update of 3 KB. Really don’t see any changes:)
    Hey what’s this sms update ???
    Any change log for this ???

5. Fritz Pinguin says:

Got the calendar update 2 days ago for my N8 (OTA, Thailand), but no SMS update.

6. wren says:

My n8 used to have the updates, but did a clean wipe of the phone to get space back on the c: and now don’t see any of the updates available after the process. Though it would be nice to get belle refresh for the n8 personally. My 808 only got the calendar update but no sms update.

7. dss says:

I am glad they fixed the sms bug with FP2.. in FP1 you would often see a sms hang in the outbox for no reason, and you have to re-send it.. that is gone with FP2.

By the way I just flashed my 808 with a custom rom that has the fonts from the N9 built in… it looks soo much better than the stock Symbian fonts, I don’t understand why Nokia never ported those over to Symbian, its obviously possible.

• Bassman says:

I’m having this issue with my N8, hopefully there will be an update for the original S3 phones in the works. I had a calendar update a few weeks back, not entirely sure what it did as my calendar was working well as it was.

• Dave says:

Is that the Nokia “Pure” font? It definitely does look better, and I’ve had issues with amending the default font on the 808.

Now just wish they’d fix the 3G/reboot bug. Hopefully my switching off HSDPA will alleviate the problem (maybe improve battery life as well).

8. Mahesh says:

thanks, my 808 got only SMS update and no calender update

9. shashi@n9 says:

BULLSHIT, WHERE IS NEW SYMBIAN PHONE.

• iancarter says:

yeah but i don’t think they are going to release anymore nokia 808 might be the last. What gets me is that someone sugessted that nokia should release cheap symbian belle devices and add more hd games, some sage/guru/advisor at nokia support discussions told him to get android?? No wonder nokia is in trouble

• Jax says:

More like; What ever happened to more Harmattan & then (real) MeeGo phones.

• Jacques Monpelioux says:

I am with you. MeeGo phone was far far far better then antything else. Also can be a solution for some Symbian fans. I’d suggest you to watch for Jolla Mobile which continue directly MeeGo with new Jolla OS called Sailfish OS, and also indirectly Symbian as there are good practices and philosophy used in the core of Sailfish, which is the Merproject core. It will be presented 21-21 this month, so look for Jolla Mobile on Twitter. I think what the mobile they do is the N9 and Symbian mobiles successor.

• Jacques Monpelioux says:

Nokia did the most stupid thing with abandoning Linux MeeGo and Symbian.

• Jax says:

Yeah I know all about that, Sailfish(Jolla OS) won’t really be a successor of S^3 (Belle FP+) in technical sense, perhaps in a spiritual sense in some ways, & in a UX sense in some ways, due to shared Qt heritage etc.
          Watching them closely, along with: BBX, Android, WP/Tizen/FFOS, & lastly iOS.
          No doubt I’m forgetting one or two others… ;)

10. GS65 says:

Sms has had some bugs on my 808. Hope this fixes them. Calendar was missing week view. Might be a fix for this.

11. BlazinEmperor says:

I got only the calendar fix, I’ve never noticed any bug on my 701, I’m enjoying the whole Belle FP2 experience, but the lack of hardware acceleration in Nokia Browser is a pain! I dunno what is the big deal in reworking that browser… I think it has to do with Symbian’s framework, but the browser now handles javascript & flash embedded videos quite well, better than most mid-range single core droids & the 60fps scrolling in Gravity app makes me happy, I wish all developers will activate that feature in their apps for Belle Fp2 devices.

12. Vishal says:

I saw both these updates on my N8 yesterday. Strangely it did not show up as the OTA update on the phone. I updated it via the Nokia Suite. I do not see any changes after the update. However, i did recently face issues with SMS hanging in the Outbox and had to resend it manually. I hope the SMS update is to fix this on Belle Refresh. I am not sure what the calendar update is for as i did not have any issues with it.

13. birju says:

Michael what do you mean ‘dead devices’ thats so rude of you, hate your post! nokia is still providing support for belle and i many new apps and games for my 808, whatsapp was jst updated, i dont like hw u say it, jst rude..

14. yemko says:

You are as good as a maggot Micheal… Not your fault if not that #mole a.l.a Elop!

• Bassman says:

Are you mentally ill? Seriously, you must have some personality disorder which compels you to continually post your usual shite.

15. sr. D says:

I was waiting to see how it work multitasking on wp8 now i realize it’s still the same, no really multitask, i will retire my old & good n8, for the future jolla phone, or nexus 4, or blackberry 10 that looks a lot like MeeGo.

16. iancarter says:

but it is kind of ‘dead’,what apps and games that are good are being brought to symbian? Rovio is not updating angry birds for symbian anymore. Cut the rope still stuck without any updates.viber for symbian sucks, skype just released their last update. The point is many well known developers are staying away from symbian,they just don’t want to develop for something with expiration date. Gameloft said that they would not release more hd games as developing for symbian is not profitable,this inspite the fact that android games are the most pirated. Well considering the fact that symbian will be supported till2016 as said by nokia,the question remains will symbian last that long? Advertisement zilch, promotions zilch, instead we are given a fancy java phone termed as smartphone. Even symbian phones are more expensive than windows phone nokia lumia 800 cost similar to 2 years old nokia n8 here in India. Would anybody be intested then?

17. iancarter says:

but it is kind of ‘dead’,what apps and games that are good are being brought to symbian? Rovio is not updating angry birds for symbian anymore. Cut the rope still stuck without any updates.viber for symbian sucks, skype just released their last update. The point is many well known developers are staying away from symbian,they just don’t want to develop for something with expiration date. Gameloft said that they would not release more hd games as developing for symbian is not profitable,this inspite the fact that android games are the most pirated. Well considering the fact that symbian will be supported till2016 as said by nokia,the question remains will symbian last that long? Advertisement zilch, promotions zilch, instead we are given a fancy java phone termed as smartphone. Even symbian phones are more expensive than windows phone nokia lumia 800 cost similar to 2 years old nokia n8 here in India. Would anybody be intested then in buying symbian phones? My point is symbian crashed a lot faster than expected and even nokia doesn’t care,as apparent by nokia treatment to symbian phones, if u don’t believe me see nokia diwali offers is there any symbian phones?no, not even a free toothbrush forget about price cut. I get it windows is the future, Meego well was a niche, symbian belle the most mainstream of them, with most market share could have been let go at more dignified manner. At this rate forget 2016 i don’t see symbian future in 2013. And at least michael writes about symbian and n9 others here are all stuck to windows. Beggers can’t choose, right!

• Jax says:

OS’s don’t just become niche because they’re “well niche” (as you put it), they get put into that position by company actions/policy.

18. Dave says:

Sure I got one of these updates a few weeks back.

However the one glaring bug thats been discussed to death on the Nokia support forums is the 3G data causing a reboot issue. Its been getting particularly bad for me at times, to the point of my looking at replacing it with an iPhone ….

Nokia really don’t appear to be taking support of the 808 in the slightest bit serious now – there are bugs, they’ve been reported, people have paid for a product ….

19. Tetlee says:

I still can’t for the life of me understand how the 808 on Belle FP2′s music player is so horrible, with hardly any album art. When my old E7 no vanilla Belle(can’t update it because Sygic GPS wouldn’t function) has a lovely smooth music player, with album art for nearly all the music on there, most of which are the same albums that are on my 808.

If Nokia would only fix this I’d be happy, everything else is working perfectly for me.

• dss says:

The album art is embedded into the Mp3 files… if its there, the mp3 player in FP2 will read it :)

• Tetlee says:

Hmm, wonder how it was lost between transferring it from my Nokia E7. Maybe something went wrong(went through the bluetooth transfer option when setting up the 808, so strange that it must have somehow left the cover art images behind).

That aside I still don’t like the portrait view of the FP2 music player.

20. nokia 700 says:

don’t buy nokia phones they are dead i bye the 700 before 8 months and i make a big stupidity i bye one more phone with android 90e and it have live wallpapers,many home launchers many roms cyanogenmod easy to use you make a back-up and the phone it go back to the day of backup it don’t miss anything and more more great things

21. Alejandro Nova says:

Nokia 500 here with Belle Refresh, and I got both fixes.