Your Lumia 620 Questions Answered!

| December 10, 2012 | 47 Replies

We just took part in the Q&A sessions regarding the Nokia Lumia 620, and we have the answers for you below. We were joined by Anssi Hakkarainen from Nokia product marketing team, Timo Joutsenvirta from Nokia Technology Marketing, and Ben from Nokia connects.

So here are the questions we asked and the answers we got.

Me: It was mentioned that the Lumia 620 is scratch proof, but no mention of Gorilla Glass. Is it GG or some other tech?
Timo:  The display is hardened glass with Clear Black technology.

Me: The 620 is double shot coloured, will we see this technique in more devices? Also, is the black a black black, or more of a grey, the online images seem to be inconsistent.
Anssi: The colour is matte black. Black layer in the bottom with tinted transparent black layer on top.

Clinton Jeff: Will aftermarket covers with inductive charging be available/supported?
Anssi: At the moment no plans for wireless charging shell for Nokia Lumia 620.

Me: Is the super sensitive screen tech included on the 620 as well?
Timo: It does not have the Lumia 920 super sensitive touch technology

Me: Will 512 MB RAM have any restrictions on WP8 like the 256 MB RAM on the Lumia 610 with wp7?
Anssi: Only handful of apps that have been tested (we’ve tested more than 70k) did not work with 512MB RAM and they were not in top 100 apps.

Is it intended to be a successor of the Lumia 610 or merely a new product?
Anssi: 620 is a new product within our Windows phone 8 range

Me: I read it uses Adreno 305, why does the Lumia 620 use it whereas the more expensive Lumia (820/920) with WP8 use Adreno 225?
Timo: Adreno graphics is integrated into the processor and depending on processor selection you get Adreno 225 in Lumia 920 and Adreno 305 with Lumia 620.
Me: @Timo, Okay, so it was more processor choice than Graphics?
Timo: Exactly. Processor in different price points have different versions of the graphics core at a given time.

Me: What cell radio bands will it have?
Timo: Quad band GSM and Quad band WCDMA.
Exact bands can be seen @ http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia620/specifications/

Clinton Jeff: Btw I also *love* how the headphone jack is built into the rear cover rather than the phone itself. Very clever, and kudos to whoever thought of that :o)
Me: With CJ’s comment, what made you guys take that approach?
Anssi: Headphone jack built into the shell has been specifically designed for 620. It guarantees good connection no matter how many times one changes the shell.

Clinton Jeff: When will it be available in India?
Me: Will it be coming to Africa?
Anssi: Clinton: We haven’t announced for India.
MFaroTusino: Yes, coming in 2013

That was all the questions and their respective answers given during the session. I was a rather short session, but still very helpful. Thanks for the questions guys, hopefully this helps the majority of you.

Category: Lumia, Windows Phone

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. hytheam says:

does it support full hd videos

2. MKD says:

What???
    It will not be available in India???????

3. arts says:

is the white matte?

4. viktor von d. says:

why the hell did they stop using gorilla glass in these devices? they will be the most selling devices. on this phone and the 820 nokia success will stand cause they will reach most people, not the 920. and you don’t want people with broken screens and dissapointed in nokia.

• Toni says:

I think that they will simply use a different manufacturer to provide a fairly similar end-user experience. With Gorilla Glass you are not only buying the glass but also a brand which likely does make it somewhat more expensive than other similar solutions. For a budget phone, I’d say that every penny counts.

• hary536 says:

They were not using gorilla glass in their feature phones, yet they lasted long. So gorilla glass is always not required.

5. MKD says:

I hope they do. 710 and 610 are more popular wp than 800 and 900. So 620 will be.

• JGrove303 says:

More popular or more people can afford them? Last I check, no one really gives 2 shits about the 610 in any positive respect, but the 920 OS on everyone’s mind. Ford sells more Focus, but the GT40 is what people want.

• Svenkka says:

There is a place for each Lumia in the market. We may drool over 920 but end up having a 620 because of the value/price ratio matching with our real needs and budget.

6. krishna says:

wat about fm radio? Someone pls answer

• cyanwp says:

does not have fm radio

• Harangue says:

As was said above me, no it doesn’t have it, right now. It is a WP8 limitation. They removed it going from 7 to 8. Why I don’t know, but there is a chance it might come back in future OS releases.

• dss says:

Different core.

• Harangue says:

Are you saying it has to do with switching from CE to NT or do you mean the SoC that is different in the 620?

It could be that the SoC in the 620 doesn’t support FM radio so even an update wouldn’t help, but I doubt it.

• cyanwp says:

its already in the hardware but since they somewhat started from the scratch they couldn’t deliver it
            rumors says it will return with future updates

7. Atif says:

Is only 1 shell provided in box?
    I dont actualy understand this DUALshot???

8. NMO says:

Want to know, is there any chances for HTC 8s against Lumia620?? Which is better??

• JGrove303 says:

The Lumia 620 is better. In every respect. It’s. Cheaper, too. Also, Nokia exclusive apps.

• Svenkka says:

Lumia 620 is clearly better. The only thing in favor of 8S is that it is available earlier, at least in some markets. But personally I would rather wait for Lumia 620, it is so much better :)

• cyanwp says:

lumia 620 front facing camera + nfc + 8g internal storage + 1g dualcore + 3.8 tft screen + 1300mAh battery + MicroSD

htc8s no front facing camera + no nfc + 4g internal storage + 1g dualcore + 4 inch Super LCD + 1700mAh battery + gorilla glass2 +MicroSD

9. D Harries says:

I think another idea for changeable covers is to add a second screen with E ink display + glow light. For reading text, make phone battery last much longer. Perhaps Windows 7 inch tablet could be dual screen as well. 6 inch E ink display screen on the back with glow light.

10. feifei says:

what i want is a plead, not question

with such powerful hardwares but with so low in memory is really a huge drawback
    i would like to ask if nokia can put much more ram in the 620, not 1GB but at least 768MB will make tis device much more popular and acceptable

• torcida says:

It’s not all about figures… ;)

• Don De Frost says:

Rumour has it, that they thought of the same question right in the beginning. They loaded up a replica with the same OS, except a 1GB RAM instead of the 512MB.

And as they compared both phones, the performance seemed almost similar as Windows does not depend heavily on Ram as its Android counter parts does. Thus, they decided to stick with the 512, makes it affordable.

11. Graham Harrison says:

I have a Lumia 710 when on ring and vibrate it only vibrate once.
    Is the 620 the same or does it vibrate for the lenght of the ring??
    I have missed many calls in a noisy environment.
    When you receive a message do you have the option to call the sender??
    When in people/contacts can you increase the font size of the number??
    Nokia seem to forget the phone is also a directory.
    The 710 is going in the bin as soon as I can find these features on a Nokia.

12. abhi says:

i have lumia 620 i hv to know my mo screen is antscratch or not
    and how to set massage tone for my choice there is no option to set my choice msg tone in there and when any call come in my mo it will vibrate only once i missed many call this problems i face in my lumia 620 plz help

13. jackson says:

I have lumia620 in some cases when i press the back and the windows button it wont vibrate please help me

14. Don De Frost says:

Just checked Microsoft’s windows’ phone store.. Seems the have managed to add some apps, but the user reviews seem discouraging. They are not upto the mark , ridiculed with bugs and certainly not even at par with their android counterparts.

Am an android-ster, yet i wish to try windows 8. Lumia 620 fascinates me but am terribly frightened of the pathetic way microsoft keeps its app store. I know both are different platforms, yet apps are not something you can just ignore. Will Windows 8 be up to the mark? Help me decide guys.

15. Martijn says:

Can you switch off the vibrating from the 3 botoom buttons? Cheers!

16. ishmael says:

there is a mistake here, lumia 620 has a sensitive touch screen. i can use gloves while working on it.

17. anand says:

What is coming to fm radio in Lumia 620???????

please improve

18. anand says:

When ,coming FM radio in Lumia 620???????

19. You made some good points there. I looked on the web for additional information about the issue and found most people will go
    along with your views on this website.