MNB RG: Windows Phone growth continues in Finland according to statcounter (27% daily spike)

| December 19, 2012 | 13 Replies

statcounter

Finland is enjoying their Nokia Lumia devices as evident by the continued growth of Windows Phone according to statcounter. Now whilst this is Finland, Home of Nokia, (and only a small country of 5 million residents) we can’t take for granted what the Finns will buy (as shown by the SkyDiving crash of the other Nokias powered by Symbian starting from 2009 and the steep incline of iOS and Android). It’s good to see Nokia Lumia helping Nokia climb back up – even if it’s on their home turf.

Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 13.50.37

Janne’s been noticing several spikes in WP, crossing the 20% threshold. I didn’t catch it the first time around but today Janne notes another spike all the way to 27%.  As I’m looking at things, there’s a steady 17+% on their overall scale.

Note that these percentages do not include only recent sales but internet usage of all devices (new and old) and are only extrapolations. Also note that WP includes other manufacturers, not Nokia, but Nokia is taking a significant chunk out of old and new WP sales. Sales wise, it’s still best to wait on Nokia’s real numbers in the new year.

In what is surely just a “day in motion” glitch on StatCounter, the Windows Phone (aka Lumia in the case of Finland) installed base in Finland jumped to 27.39% in daily measurements this afternoon. It had already exceeded 20% on December 14th momentarily and probably in other times as well.

More tellingly, the daily average for December 10th was 19.67%, so reality of Finnish Lumia Internet use is hovering something in the 20% region now. Lumia has been raising steadily since its Finnish February 2012 launch, peaking again after Lumia 900 and Lumia 610 launches in early summer and then again in the last quarter of the year with the introduction of super-cheap Lumia 800 pricing and the Lumia 920 launch in late November.

Lumia 820 won’t launch until January in Finland and there continues to be serious Lumia 920 shortages with major operators or retailers not having anything on the shelves unless you get lucky, mostly just trying to fill pre-orders. Much of the pre-orders have not yet been fulfilled either in some stores. One retailer said the phone is selling better than any Nokia in Finland before and it sure feels like it.

Cheers Janne for the tip

Category: Nokia

This account is for the stories readers from MNB submit to tips(at)mynokiablog(dot)com as ready to publish articles. Email tips(at)mynokiablog(dot)com if you have a Nokia related story you've written that you'd want to share with MNB's readers. For more information, check out http://mynokiablog.com/tips/ Tips/Guides/Rules for commenting: http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/29/commenting-help-tips-guides-and-rules/

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Statcounter: WP crosses 20% in Finland (#Nokia #Lumia) : My Nokia Blog | January 22, 2013
  1. Janne says:

I had hoped to will myself clear of these topics until Q4 results, but I must say one thing that changed my mind was the extremely warm reception to the latest Nokia products in Finland – and how good the product now is. It truly has surprised me how the tide has changed here. Many are of course coming from Symbian, but I think it is most noteworthy from StatCounter how Lumia is taking away customers from iPhone. Even Android’s progress has been almost flat-lines by the Lumia.

That said, the true test to Lumia in Finland comes when it has replaced Symbian in installed base. Will it continue to go beyond recent Symbian levels and challenge the 35% competition of iOS/Android or will it flat-line below that.

• Marc Aurel says:

Your second chapter took the words right out of my mouth. But yes, Lumia is doing fairly well in Finland and even the WP 7.x devices seem to be selling reasonably at their current price levels (hugely discounted and probably nearly zero margin as though they are).

Nokia does need an affordable WP8 device quickly, though, and I hope that the rumors of Lumia 620 coming first to China and only much later elsewhere are not true. There are still plenty of people in Finland who don’t like contracts and do not want to pay more than €300 for a phone, me included, especially if it has to run Windows Phone ;-)

2. Francis says:

Unfortunately according to iSuppli estimated Nokia only holding 5% smartphone market share in 2012, as compared 2011 is 16%.

3. twig says:

I just called, my ATT yellow 920 is still on backorder even after the 4th yellow shipment to ATT. I ordered on Nov. 8th, an uncommitted phone.

4. von says:

This is the first time I think that I’m not really looking forward to any Nokia product this coming CES and MWC 2013. :|

5. MooCoo says:

That spike up to 27%, I think I know the reason for that.

Excately two years ago a cheep Android phone, named ZTE Blade, arrived to Finland with a BANG. They were selling it on 2y contract, with an unlimited 3G data plan for only about 6€/month . And we went for it! They were sold out all the time and I waited mine for a month. Now the contract is ending and ppl are getting rid of it and byuing Lumias instead! Two years with a low-end Android is enough! Trust me on this, I’ve been there.

• Spede oli aliarvostettu says:

I’ve heard that those low end Androids people were buying 2 years ago were a lot better deal compared to the low end Symbian phones.

And still some people are trying to claim that Symbian was doing fine and it was not going to lose sales because of low end Androids.

• Marc Aurel says:

It’s pretty clear Symbian was already losing sales because of low end Androids back in 2010. S60 5th Edition simply could not compete with Android 2.x in user friendliness and in addition the phones had some hardware design flaws, most notably not enough RAM. That’s why Nokia tried to get the Symbian^3 phones on the market as soon as possible.

6. dj says:

But Nokia is no longer number one phone maker in the world, Samsung is with 27% of world phone market and Nokia 24%

7. Topi says:

One more note:

The new Windows Phone handsets will not be recognized statistical, because IE browsers are from out of the box in the desktop by default. Not in the mobile. This shows statistics of mobile phones to a computer with a Windows 8 operating system.

8. rustyknight17 says:

MooCoo , u r proably right !Been there myself !
    Spede , yeahhh , 2 years ago , low end Androids were a better deal ! But then , we`re talking about s60v5 , which AIUI 9 NEVER USED S60 MYSELF ) isn`t saying much .. And yes Symbian was in trouble back then due to

9. rustyknight17 says:

Nokia`s stupidity !
    Yes Marc , exactly , only to have the rumours of the upcoming MS alliance and the rumours of the infamous memo cripple it back in December 2010 . Otherwise Belle would be a contender today ! Ah well …