Video: UI-Concept – Harmattan meets Sailfish

| January 14, 2013 | 43 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 9.06.16 PM

Stephen emailed me his UI concept, which blends elements of Harmattan and Sailfish. It looks nice, and makes me want to see more. The more I see Sailfish related things, the more I want to test it out. Hopefully with the SDK launching this quarter, we will see Sailfish ported to N9/50.

What do you guys think of the concept?

Category: Concept

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Sailfish Vs MeeGo Harmattan Mashup | Latest Jolla Mobile News | January 14, 2013
  1. Adio_17 says:

hey man , i think you’ve messed up something with the link =P could you please change it with the right video? would love to see this concept^^

2. William H. says:

Justin Timberlake ? :p

3. Craig says:

Sorry Michael but the link to the YouTube clip is the wrong one.

4. torpedu says:

As much as I would like to see Harmattan get more refined, I would ultimately settle for something like that…

5. zxz says:

it is only nokia that can use thua concept because it looks 99% like the n9 ui

6. Martin says:

This Would Be fantastic To See On The N9. But I’m Not Sure Why mine has Started To Auto Capitalise Every Word!

Even Better seeing The N9 getting Some Love!
    Looks Nice.

7. zxz says:

it is only nokia that can use this concept because it looks 99% like the n9 ui

8. Gilles says:

To be honest, I still like the N9′s UI more than this one …

9. Grazy says:

getting closer! as i like some of the features from jolla’s os but prefer the black theme and iu of the N9. I could live with that though

• Shaun says:

I wonder what would happen if you picked an entirely black image in the gallery and then used the ‘ambiance’ feature to set the base UI colour.

10. Maybe says:

Swipe UI is an unpolished UI in the first place. Everything Jolla been doing to Sailfish OS is somehow the rough of idea of how Swipe UI should evolves. The minimalistic is the main idea behind swipe UI. The pulley menu and interactive multi-task homescreen are welcomed addition. But swiping to go back kinda mess up with some apps as some apps using swipe left right to go for other menu.

11. rustyknight17 says:

Looks like Sailfish pretty much to me lol !

12. Allawi says:

Hi guys, just a question, this OS will exchange with Meego or we will have two OS like Android. Have a good day

13. Tesselaar says:

Jallo Sailfish is more a android look a like than a Meego Harmattan.

Meego harmattan had style, Sailfish not.

• James says:

It’s hardly finished, they’ve only been working on the thing full-bore since Oct 2011, other major OS’s have been round way longer than 15mth+ & they’re from vastly larger organisations.
      It was never going to be a exact copy of Harmattan, that would be silly, it’s an amalgam of several UX concepts, although the UX it borrows heaviest from (aside from it’s “current” iconography) is clearly Harmattan.

• rustyknight17 says:

Must disagree …

14. JGrove303 says:

Lol, Sailfish looks NOTHING, works NOTHING like Android. And yes it looks unfinished. Because the user is supposed to finish it, or rather, the OEM preloading it on the device will add skins or change to a different.

Sailfish is also unlike Android as its sole purpose of being isn’t based on making more advertising revenue.

The way it is now, it would be fun to play around with, but it wouldn’t replace WP8 for me.

• Shaun says:

I do hope we don’t see ‘skins’. The UI looks fine to me and the ‘Ambiance’ feature where you pick an image to set the UI colouring is enough for me.

They do need some better icons though.

15. GordonH says:

Time for some taste of success at Jolla. Sailfish doesn’t need to sell super well in 2013, it will take it’s “time” no doubt. Jolla being an cost effective organization, means “time” is something that Jolla has a plenty.

• Leo oli aliarvostettu says:

Nice faith.

• GordonH says:

Nice “times” ;-)

• Leo oli aliarvostettu says:

Small is not necessarily cost effective.

• rustyknight17 says:

GordonH , with u ! Ere ,true , but I think in Jolla`s case , Gordon H is proably right , we`ll see !

• Leo oli aliarvostettu says:

I’m not saying that Jolla can’t make a good product and sell plenty of great phones.

What I’m saying is that I would like to hear why all this might happen. Yes, I understand that some people may just want to hear about how great Jolla will be. That’s perfectly fine. I hope that Jolla will succeed and the best thing we can do to help them is to talks about them. Keep talking about the good and the bad.

One reason for Nokia’s problems is in communications. Only a few years ago in Finland it was almost forbidden to say that Nokia had problems. Almost everyone was just praising Nokia and claiming that they were going to win Apple, Google, Motorola, everyone. They never had to read about the flaws their phones had. That’s one reason why they didn’t win iOS and Android.

By talking about all this we are helping them. By remaining silent we hurt them.

I also know that some people don’t want to see how people are talking about the subject because it apparently distracts people from the original story.

• rustyknight17 says:

Where do I start ? First , JOLLA MOBILE IS CHIEFLY COMPOSED OF EX Nokia Meego experts , the same people who brought us the N9 . That speaks for itself !
                Second , when Meego was cancelled , according to an MNB article by Michael Faro-Tusino , Nokia had 5 N9 successors ready for late 22011 / early 2012 release .
                Third , tae a look at the Sailfish vids and reviews , they tend to be quite enthusiastic ! And keep in mind that this prototype software !! My point here is that Jolla haas earned the praise , so I , for one , am willing to go on a bit of faith for the time being !

16. Jack Phil says:

Salfish is not good *IMO

17. Video: UI-Concept – Harmattan meets Sailfish – My Nokia Blog

18. torcida says:

What do you want to tell us???