Quick heads up on this story at Helsingin Sanomat about Stephen Elop. It’s in Finnish and for some reason, won’t pass through a translator. Thankfully, jiipee provides a brief summary below.
It basically tells Elop’s story: what he did before, why he probably joined Nokia (was asked to) and what was his relation to the Board.
- The story is that he is not Trojan, but was asked to join Nokia – I very much agree
- Then it goes stating that Meego was not ready as a platform, only as a product (ie they could not ship enough devices). This is told eg. by Jo Harlow and I wouldn’t buy her opinion alone. Also, who thinks that WP7 was ready?
- The article stated that the strategy work was open and thorough. Elop made the last call for WP and according to colleagues did not show personal preference towards WP. Board approved.
- Nokia couldn’t have multi-OS strategy since they didn’t have enough software competence
- Öistämö was supporting WP choice strongly. (We have heard nothing of him for ages)
- Ollila got angry on Elop after his burning platform memo. In general Elop was doing a lot of stuff independently after joining, which caused frustration among the board. Later the co-operation improved.
What is the most surprising to me that eg. Jo Harlow was allowed to comment choosing between Android, WP and internal OSs. Afterall she should also be under NDA just like other Nokians.
Cheers jiipee for the tip!