File Manager coming to Windows Phone

| December 2, 2013 | 41 Replies

Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 5.59.21 pm

There is a feedback site for Windows Phone on User Voice, that allows anyone to make suggestions about Windows Phone features, as well as feedback on existing features.

Having subscribed to a few feature requests myself, I get emails when the status of them change. Moment ago, I got a nice surprise. The request for a File Manager to be added to Windows Phone has now been marked as “completed” with a short comment attached:

This feature is now available in Windows Phone 8.

And as always, if you think this feature or any other feature needs improvement be sure to create new product suggestions so we can track them all and other users can vote on your ideas. And while we can’t promise to ship every suggestion that gets submitted, we will be sure that our product development team receives your feedback. We’re always listening!

I think it is safe to assume this will come to Windows Phone 8.1 (or GDR 4)

Source

Category: Firmware Update, Lumia, Microsoft, update, Windows Phone

Hi! My name is Michael. Like the others, I'm also a Student, living here in Sydney. I have a real passion for the latest technology and I'm a real Nokia buff! My aim is to keep those of you, like myself, updated with the latest in what's going on in the Nokia World. Currently sporting N9 & Lumia 820, with other Nokia devices in my posession. Get in touch on Twitter via @MFaroTusino, Google Plus or even simply drop me an email at mike.mnb[at]outlook.com or tips[at]mynokiablog.com

1. Clarence says:

meh. a robotic answer I assume.

• Bruce says:

Same feeling here. Normally they change the status only when the update that contains the feature has already been rolled out. Today I also got the notification about customized ringtones, which is GDR3 feature.

so my bet is that whoever updated the status of this misunderstood “file manager” and “task manager” the latter indeed is included in GDR3.

• Prince says:

Same here i am thinking… they just want to close that topic.

2. adriano says:

A welcome addition, now, release 1020′s update with snapdragon 805, sd card slot and this and I’ll happy for two years or so

3. efekt says:

Now THAT’S some interesting piece of news! I really don’t understand the logic behind this decision, but this is nonetheless still quite interesting.
    If a file manager is truly coming to WP, I think the next logical step is to add USB OTG support…

4. william188 says:

I received an email too for “flick down to close an App” ! :):)

5. grodelj says:

Impossibru:)

6. Sagar says:

Not only that but there’s more requests which are completed.
    1. Allow pasting in the Phone Dialer.
    2. Allow a Simple Flick upward to close apps in the multitasking view.

and some more too. Sorry can’t remember all.

7. SaViS says:

Maybe Windows Phone 8.1/Blue announcement is imminent. ;)

8. v.s.i says:

Very good. Eager to see what other things WP 8.1 brings as well. Hoping that Goldfinger does have the Pelican camera, for me that sounds really exciting. evleaks is usually right.

9. et3rnal says:

I got 5 today, I dont think this is an robotic answer by looking at them

anywaya here is the 5 i got

We need Microsoft to listen to our ideas and DO something

Allow a simple flick upward to close applications in the multitasking view

Store apps & attachments on external storage and improve/provide micro SD support

Custom sounds for SMS, MMS, Email, Notifications etc

and the file manager one :D hopefully these are the changes been deployed after the beta GDR3 we testing ? :D

10. D Harries says:

I always plug in to the laptop with USB on charge for that.

11. HrabiaMol says:

respect to MS if this is all true. I hope that we see a notification centre of some sort soon too.

12. senshi says:

I have no need for this but if these features brings WP closer to Android and shut people up about it not being competitive I’m all for it. Apple has peeked and is only propped up by the techblogs but in reality it is slowly being regulated back to the rich niche market like Macs as shown by how it is being overtaken by WP in a few key markets so Android and Google needs competition to take it down a couple of notches and currently only MS can do it.

13. JGrove303 says:

If I could dump my photos and videos to an external HDD, I’d be stoked. ROM files for emulators, too. The less I NEED a PC as a middle man the better.

• Random Random says:

Rom files for emulators?

Well.

Piracy.

This once again tells the same story about file managers.

People needing those for mobile phones are quite often needing them for piracy.

14. Jonathan says:

Now mobile guru edited and say “This requests were mistakenly marked as completed” see http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/3365632-add-file-manager-to-windows-phone#{toggle_previous_statuses}

15. Ameer says:

Poor WP. This is a must feature in smartphone. Even 2002 Symbian Nokia phones had file manager.

Put a wide file manager so users can view all the files from the phone – eventhough not all can be opened :)

16. Rajat Dahiya says:

Editing of ip address of wifi and mobile network manually.

17. imran says:

I like Nokia Lumia too much. But I hate it when my friends get applications on android and I can not. Nokia must have the following. Applications on store.
    1:file manager – 2 : alternate browsers 3 : media players -4 : video downloader.

18. imran says:

5 : vpn . Cause now a days people need something new every day. We do not believe on quality but just need quantity. So it’s my suggestion to update Nokia store with the above applications. Nokia make customer hardly and lose easily.

19. description says:

I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much
    more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I
    was looking for this information for my mission.