If you’re unfortunate enough to encounter a problem on your Nokia N97, a hard reset maybe what you need to do. This wipes the entire phone memory and settings fresh to how it was (or should be) when you bought it. It’s also useful if you’re also unfortunate enough to have to send away your Nokia N97 for repair or exchange, or maybe in future you maybe selling it and don’t want your information/details/media stored onto your device for someone else to access.
The traditional method won’t work as the N97 doesn’t have the old keypad. After you’ve backed up your data onto memory card/pc/ovi, turn your phone off and simultaneously press these four buttons circled in red.
- Caps shift
- Space bar
- Delete button
- On button
You’ll know it’s worked when you see the initial set up screen, asking country of origin. I haven’t actually tried this, but I’ll be doing so when I return the trial N97.
Update 26-07-09 - tried it -
- wiped phone memory but did not touch the mass memory (you’ll have to format that separately via File Manager) – got 61 MB back.
- Applications installed onto the memory card are still present
- Fixed voice dialling, but after restoration from memory card, voice dialling was disabled again -_-
- Hasn’t Fixed broken GPS. Refuses to get a GPS fix.
- Restoring from memory card doesn’t put back widget/applications from phone memory you would have hoped to have been backed up on memory card – e.g. facebook/Nokia Messaging/N-Gage is gone.
- Restoring from memory card does not restore the menu to how you may have reconfigured it (extremely annoying).
I’m not sure if the *#7370# code (enter code in dialler) has the same effect of wiping everything on the N97 – I’m not going to try and find out. In previous experiences with other Nokia devices, the button method has the advantage of being able to reset your phone if your device refuses to turn on.
- back to factory settings: This should maintain your data (contacts/messages/calendar/notes etc), just returning your N97 back to all previous settings
Settings> Phone>Phone Management>Factory Settings
About the Author (Author Profile)Hey, thanks for reading my post. My name is Jay and I'm a medical student at the University of Manchester. When I can, I blog here at mynokiablog.com and tweet now and again @jaymontano. We also have a twitter and facebook accounts @mynokiablog and Facebook.com/mynokiablog. Check out the tips, guides and rules for commenting >>click<< Contact us at tips(@)mynokiablog.com or email me directly on jay[at]mynokiablog.com
Sites That Link to this Post
- Thoughts on the N97: A firmware upgrade should give you the option to restore EVERYTHING to factory default | The Nokia Guide | August 6, 2009
- Tip of the day: How to: Hard reset the N97 | The Nokia Guide | August 11, 2009
- Problem with N97 screen and keyboard - Page 2 | September 19, 2009
- Hard reset N97 | September 20, 2009
- Version 11 update problem | September 23, 2009
- My Nokia N97 Won’t Start!!! I don’t want to Hard Reset. « My Nokia Blog | October 2, 2009
- Changing Branding on a N97 | October 26, 2009
- How to: Escaping the Nokia N97 hard-reset (tips and tricks) | My Nokia Blog | November 5, 2009
- How to hard reset Nokia N900? | My Nokia Blog | January 3, 2010
- New Nokia N97 firmware update V21.0.045 and 21.2.045 from Feb 1, 2010, 08:00GMT. | My Nokia Blog | February 1, 2010
- N97 Failed Boot up/Hard Reset Problem Fixed by new firmware update V21.0.045?! | My Nokia Blog | February 2, 2010
- N97 Failed Boot up/Hard Reset Problem Fixed by new firmware update V21.0.045?! phones, reviews, games free download, software, themes, applications free download, price, features, update, wallpapers, free download | February 4, 2010
- Onderweg… » Archief » Nokia N97: Blijft lastig | June 9, 2010
- Changing the Product Code on your Nokia N97 | Shane's Place on Mobile Convergence | October 4, 2010
- How to: Hard reset your Nokia N8 | My Nokia Blog | October 12, 2010
- Nokia Hard Reset – GeekLogy | May 22, 2012
- Ezra Urrutia | June 26, 2012
- How to Hard reset your Nokia N8 | Cell Pakistan | February 21, 2013
- reb00t » Blog Archive » Hard reset Nokia N97 | February 14, 2014