Video: Motorola XT720 vs Nokia N8 Video Editors – ooh the similarities.

| July 16, 2010 | 17 Replies

I was just about to have an early night when I saw @Camb078 tweet about a moto video.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rcrzSSj2lQ]

Does the above video look familiar? Well if you’ve been following the N8 you’ll notice they have very similar video editors. Now, they aren’t exactly the same but the resemblance is striking to the point that I’m wondering if there’s some sort of cross platform app here.

Compare it with the vid below (start at 03:00)

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2FTzuQfo4]

I don’t understand French too well (not spoken French anyway) – you can hear N-Huit (N8) but I’m not sure if that’s in the context of comparing with phones with video editors (iPhone 4 and iMovie mentioned) or the fact that the video editor of the Motorola’s Android handset, the XT720 is so similar. At the very least it’s  – it’s refreshing to see that Motorola deems this interface good enough for the XT720 will also be seen on Nokia’s N8.

Whereas before, there may have been complaints – now anyone praising the Android(moto) version also needs to give some props to the Symbian^3 video editor as seen on N8.

The mirroring even goes as far as N8 low memory errors (though none seen so far in Demos with N8, not including this official vid which wouldn’t have one even if it did happen)

Some screenshots

MEDIA SELECTION

Text Input

Moto may want to avoid this similarity of low memory errors. (no N8 comparison from this video – though we have seen some low memory errors in other apps of preproduction firmware/hardware devices in demo)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Nokia, Nseries, Symbian, Video

1. Whaaat?! That’s it, I’m packing my shotgun, tell me where to go 8)

2. Jim says:

if you ask me motorola runs better that N8. they should really fix the lag from S^3 or all blogs will criticize them

• Keith says:

The Motorola one isnt a prototype, N8 is. N8 is getting updates every week and is improving rapidly. In fact, if you compare the VERY first N8 video to a recent N8 video, you’ll see that the N8 has improved drastically! And there’s still about 5-6 weeks to go so you can expect most of the lag (if not all) to be removed.

• Andre says:

Lag? What lag?
      I’ve yet to see an N8 in the shops that runs laggy.

• JFH says:

Are you insane? Did you see how long it takes the device to work with video? The N8 literally assrapes the Motorola XT720.

I also have just seen a video of the Droid X loading Asphalt 5. You know that game that is ported to the N8, and not optimized? It loads faster on the N8 as well.

So APPARENTLY all those CPU geniuses are having all of the downside (crap battery life) and no upside. Whoop-di-doo.

3. IMarius says:

this is free , and apple charge money for their video editor . that in my book is a big big win for nokia. Then again i would want to record video on an n8 , would not be crazy about it on a iphone.

4. Marc Lamarie says:

Here’s the 1st minute of the video translated by myself: Umm,so here it is,here you can do a custom video,a little movie,and there, some cutting. This is quite the opposite to the N8 that looks very nice.We can also see that iMovie on the iphone is very cool.We made a video about it recently.On this phone,it’s very limit,can’t do much or either have the time on this small screen.So how it work .Umm we’ll do that fast because I don’t really understand how it works.

I can keep on translating the rest of the video but he doesn’t say anything special other than the step by step.

5. jjarmasz says:

The guy basically ends up saying “unlike Nokia’s N8 or the iMovie iPhone app, the movie editing app on this Motorola has limited features and is hard to use.” He keeps complaining how counter-intuitive and unresponsive it is. He fails to mention an similarity with the N8′s video editing software. Strange… Also, throughout the whole video he keeps saying things like “and here’s another of the many small bugs on this thing…”

6. bella frank says:

we cant say what it is good and worse
    becaues we dont tray anything from this mobile ??

7. gruik says:

I’m french and I’ll try to translate.
    This guy say that we can’t do a lot of things on the Moto. Then he describe how to make a movie. You can add a photo in the movie.
    The speakers are good. There is a error message due to the memory, he hope Motorola will fix it by update.
    He say he’s not very patient and the application is not very intuitive: he’s was quickly irritaded.
    He’ve tried the HDMI connection with a TV. You can ignore/accept incoming calls when the Moto is linked. (The firt video is movie bought on iTunes, the quality seems to be good to me).

• Jay Montano says:

@gruik and @jjarmasz and @Marc

Thanks for the translation. Unintuitive huh? Looked simple and easy to use to me. Maybe could do with more features, but unintuitive?

• gruik says:

Yes it’s looked easy to use for me too. But according this guy he’s not very patient and he’s quickly irritated. In the video he says that the screen not totally responsive and have some lags. Maybe that’s why he’s nervous

8. Jay Montano says:

Jim :

Yeah, the moto one does have a bit more polish to it.

• JFH says:

I would take raw video processing speed over a gradient and round edged button. Thats it. So for all the fantastic specs on the moto android devices, what do we see. An out of memory error. Hilarious.

9. GK says:

I am totally pissed off with motorola XT720. I had purchased Motorola XT720 1 week back and it did not charge. Then a new set was replaced. AND NOW this phone is not clicking pics. Can anyone tell me, are there ant satisfied Motorola XT720 customers.

10. Neha Panday says:

I had purchase this cell phone..